ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The GoPro Thread

Bike*

I filmed this a couple of hours ago, anybody know why the first 10 seconds is really pixelated?
Filmed in 720 100fps. Exported via gopro studio.

Really need a new desktop pc/mac to do some decent videos with edits. This video was just a test

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
Cheers, that pic really makes it look 'in the way' but with the helmet on, I can't see it at all. It catches/records the speedo a little more than I'd like :eek: So I'm going to use a couple of bits to make it point upwards without it restricting my view.... I don't want to get myself in trouble when posting any videos....:p

I looked at at quite a few YouTube vids before trying it there, seems good for what I need it for (daily commute). I'm nervous about losing it so I tether it.

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
First 10 secs look fine, lol @ 55 secs in..... Just seems he didn't look at all

Seems (to me) the mounts are the only difference, other than 'in the sale' I think they were the same price, Argos must just have had more of the surf ones left. I thought they all had a waterproof case. The surf comes with one flat mount and a tether pad.

I've ordered a suction mount, a handlebar mount, a 'standard frame' (to use in the car meaning I can charge at the same time as using), a couple of curved mounts and a long cable for charging.

this is my 'chin mount', only used it once on the bike so far..

They also do one for £189.99

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/5636431.htm

I'm wondering if that and a roll cage mount will do me?

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
They also do one for £189.99

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/5636431.htm

I'm wondering if that and a roll cage mount will do me?

Sorry, I meant that I believe that all 'black edition' cameras are the same and between the black surf and the black 'normal' the only difference seems to be the mounts.

that looks a good camera, depending on how often it's used and what for it could be a good call. I'm pretty new to these so I'm probably not best placed to comment more than that.

looking at that, it seems you can charge as you record with the case that it comes with as that's not waterproof....

Bike*
First 10 secs look fine, lol @ 55 secs in..... Just seems he didn't look at all

He did'nt look at all mate i think he had ear plugs in.. Idiot!
yeah the first 10 seconds is fine for me on the ipad, it must be the pc.
i went for the side of the helmet because of more options regarding angles and directions of filming.
and i also tether it lol.

going go-karting next week and i'm planning on taking the gopro :D

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Thinking of getting one of these on payday.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/deskt...le-desktops/apple-imac-21-5-21399869-pdt.html

Is it worth splashing out and getting the 27"?
will it be ok for gopro editing?
maybe i should start a thread in the PC section. :)

I'll be picking myself up another Imac soon for video editing.

Check the prices in PC world agains the education link.... http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000828/buy-mac/imac a lot of people use that to save money, I'm not too sure if it is still running but they also had a 10 month interest free finance deal which may may help you out if you wanted to spread the cost a bit.

Wikipedia lists the differences - which were actually surprising. It would appear a white Hero 3 is just a wifi version of the 5MP Hero 2, whereas a Hero 3 black takes 12MP stills.

I want some more reassurance about the filming quality so will continue to search around for specs.

Bike*
I'll be picking myself up another Imac soon for video editing.

Check the prices in PC world agains the education link.... http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000828/buy-mac/imac a lot of people use that to save money, I'm not too sure if it is still running but they also had a 10 month interest free finance deal which may may help you out if you wanted to spread the cost a bit.

Yeah i have had a look on there before, the same Mac from pcworld (£1,149) and apple (£1,076). But i get 7% off pcworld through work. Pretty much the same really.
i have never had a mac before so i'm not really clued up on them. Any advice appriciated.

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
i have never had a mac before so i'm not really clued up on them. Any advice appriciated.

They're so intuitive to use - it might be worth buying a few hours of Genius Bar/Apple store lessons (can't remember its name!) to get to grips with the basics and learn some of the features. They also do a session on iMovie etc which could be useful!

Once you buy one you'll wonder why you ever used windows.. My whole family is converted now! /applefanboi...

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Yeah i have had a look on there before, the same Mac from pcworld (£1,149) and apple (£1,076). But i get 7% off pcworld through work. Pretty much the same really.

We have a 27" iMac (2011). We spec'd it up as much as we could (To sorta future-proof it as much as possible).

I find iMovie (Apples base video editing software) not that user-friendly. I use it mainly to sort my track day vids shot on my old original GoPro Hero. Now have the 3+ though not used it yet but after some research, it turns out theres a whole lot of tutorials (Videos mostly) with the best advice/tips regarding iMovie.

The iMac itself really is a power house of a machine and can process vids with ease and relatively quickly. I'd definitely recommend one.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Well after my GoPro Hero decided it didn't want to read any memory cards I decided I'd take it apart to see if I could "fix it". I now have it working, however I managed to snap a few of the internal wires (I think they are for the slot on the back for where you'd plug in an extra battery pack).

Also found the sources of my "buzzing sound". A little bit of tissue paper folded a couple of times and place on top of the shutter button solves part of it. However, the 2nd source isn't as easy to fix. The problem is that when I slide the base mount into one of the sticky pad mounts there is enough play for it to move (Ever so slightly) in the mount. When driving this movement in enough to generate the buzzing sound.

So now I have a 3+ and working original HD Hero so have shot "A drive to the hairdressers (For the wife obviously)" duel cam vid. Gonna try out the picture in picture mode in iMovie. If it works, it could provide some interesting dual cam track day vids.

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
My HD2 came with a white rubber tab that slots into the bit you pinch to release from the stick tab mounts so solve this exact problem - can probably get them in the bay.. Anti vibration rubber insert or something perhaps?

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Not the best vid but just a test of PIP.

I still can't decide which version to go for :(

3 white edition @ £189 on amazon or

3 black edition @ £250 from argos/amazon.

I like the fact the black edition has a remote so I can turn it on/off when it's fitted to my roll cage so I don't have to clamber around - but then I can just use the gopro app on my iPhone with the cheaper white edition.

The black takes 12mp stills Vs the 5mp stills of the white. I don't think I'd use it for photos much TBH.

Is the video quality much different on both? I read a lot of people record down at 720 to maximise recording time, so if I end up doing the same I'm wondering if it's worth me spending the extra £60.

What are people doing about added battery life on the Hero 3+. I've done some filming and time lapses this week and the duration it lasts leaves something to be desired.

Do people have any recommendations for:
  • Charging whist filming
  • additional batteries
  • battery bacpac for the hero3+

Cheers.

Bike*
What are people doing about added battery life on the Hero 3+. I've done some filming and time lapses this week and the duration it lasts leaves something to be desired.

Do people have any recommendations for:
  • Charging whist filming
  • additional batteries
  • battery bacpac for the hero3+

Cheers.

I got the battery bacpac for £49.99 with a limited edition housing. Doesn't quite double the battery life but not far off.
i have also just ordered some Wasabi batterys from usa, suppose to be longer lasting than gopro ones and they are very cheap and come with a wall and car charger. Still waiting for them though.

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
YouTube seems to have killed the quality.....? Must be a setting I have ....

Had my son on the back of the bike today (for the second time) and this was going from my sisters house to my parents' house.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I bought the battery BacPac Ltd. Edition though I'm not sure whats Ltd. Edition about it.

As said above, nearly doubles the battery life.

One question I do have. What settings are folk using for their in-car vids? I've been using 1080P @ 60FPS. I find when watching it back on the Mac that it sometimes look like its on fast forward as some points.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
YouTube seems to have killed the quality.....? Must be a setting I have ....

Had my son on the back of the bike today (for the second time) and this was going from my sisters house to my parents' house.

Video is private btw.

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
I bought the battery BacPac Ltd. Edition though I'm not sure whats Ltd. Edition about it.

As said above, nearly doubles the battery life.

One question I do have. What settings are folk using for their in-car vids? I've been using 1080P @ 60FPS. I find when watching it back on the Mac that it sometimes look like its on fast forward as some points.

At the start of my vid (now no longer 'private', so cheers for letting me know) when I look from side to side it seems pretty fast, that was on 1440 I think so I know what you mean and I'll be looking out for anyone that can help.

I got the battery bacpac for £49.99 with a limited edition housing. Doesn't quite double the battery life but not far off.
i have also just ordered some Wasabi batterys from usa, suppose to be longer lasting than gopro ones and they are very cheap and come with a wall and car charger. Still waiting for them though.

Could you possibly PM/Post a link to the Wasabi batteries, I can't seem to find them for sale in the UK besides a single battery on Amazon. The twin pack and charger look the best value.

Do you use the bacpac with a 3+?

Bike*
Could you possibly PM/Post a link to the Wasabi batteries, I can't seem to find them for sale in the UK besides a single battery on Amazon. The twin pack and charger look the best value.

Do you use the bacpac with a 3+?

I looked for them in the uk as well but couldn't find any. May have to pay extra charges when they come but even after that it will still be miles cheaper than gopro ones.
yeah 3+ black with bacpac.

pm incoming.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
My new suction mount arrived today. The design has changed since I got my original GoPro Hero Motorsports edition (Came with the old suction mount).

Has a much stronger suction/bond onto the car.

The plan is to have my old GoPro facing backwards (on the suction mount stuck to the rear window) for some different combo dual vids.

Renault Clio 172 Cup
Right then, where's best to buy a go pro for in car videos? I don't need a big bundle I just want a nice decent spec camera with good sound. I've seen there a few versions and there's 3 series but I know bugger all about them apart from that I want one haha

Cheers

Azza

Bike*
Right then, where's best to buy a go pro for in car videos? I don't need a big bundle I just want a nice decent spec camera with good sound. I've seen there a few versions and there's 3 series but I know bugger all about them apart from that I want one haha

Cheers

Azza

This films in 1080p and is pretty cheap at £189.99
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5636431.htm

With the price being low you could buy the suction cup:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1281361.htm

and an external microphone.

message G 172. He's the man selling gopro's.

ps. You would need a decent size memory card.

Anybody been filming and editing with ProTune footage? I've shot some footage today and had a play but didn't really do much with it. Would be good to get some pointers.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
[video=youtube_share;X0E5er0UHWY]http://youtu.be/X0E5er0UHWY[/video]

Mine and JezzaMac's day out at Drumclog! Jamie's GoPro died pretty much straight away, hence the lack of difference. Also, his mount on the B Pillar is really loose, didn't notice till taking it down.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
In case the vid got stuck. Pointless removing it each and everytime you get stuck so it was just left on. I was making sure it was tight so it never got wrapped around the wheel when moving.

Was a good laugh and cheap for only £15 per car! £25 max for a full day!