ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The GoPro Thread

Mum bought me a hero 2 for Xmas, have purchased a sandisk 32gb micro as and adapter, suction mount and roll bar mount (£14.99 in Argos if anyone's after one!)

I'm a complete noob with these, so looking for a few tips to get me started :)

- anything people would recommend not to do? Settings etc?
- software, I have a PC, and literally haven't ever edited a picture other than with MS paint letalone a video,so want a user friendly bit of software?
- best way of reducing vibration noise? My supercharged one is on solid engine mounts, so quite a bit of vibration in the cabin. I was planning on using the roll bar mount and putting some rubber between the mount and the roll cage to help.

Rav4
Mum bought me a hero 2 for Xmas, have purchased a sandisk 32gb micro as and adapter, suction mount and roll bar mount (£14.99 in Argos if anyone's after one!)

I'm a complete noob with these, so looking for a few tips to get me started :)

- anything people would recommend not to do? Settings etc?
- software, I have a PC, and literally haven't ever edited a picture other than with MS paint letalone a video,so want a user friendly bit of software?
- best way of reducing vibration noise? My supercharged one is on solid engine mounts, so quite a bit of vibration in the cabin. I was planning on using the roll bar mount and putting some rubber between the mount and the roll cage to help.

Nice mum !!

I have a Sandisk card, it has issues. It stops randomly recording and found a lot of people out there with the same issue. I would change it for something else.

I have only started using it myself, so don't know too much. I found there is a lot of barrel distortion, which finding it annoying.

Cool toys.

Lotus Elise
I've just got a Hero3. I've wanted one for ages and I'm very happy with it.

Going to use it for skiing and racing mainly but had it on the quad bike today and the quality is immense. The editing software isn't very intuitive imo but I'm sure Ill get the hang of it.

Any hints and tips for a new owner?

PS i love the app

jonno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T6
Got a mount suction cup but not the official one so I should I trust it on the outside of the car? ?!

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Got a mount suction cup but not the official one so I should I trust it on the outside of the car? ?!

Put it on the car and try pulling it (not hard obviously) and see if it feels sturdy. I have another action camera on a non official mount and it’s fine, I’ve used it many times.

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Im looking at picking myself up a hero 3 now they have come down to pretty cheap...

Is the black edition still worth the extra money over the silver or white editions? I know you get the remote but it appears that the app lets you start and stop recording anyway?

The only other main difference I can make out is the 12megapixel still shots instead of 10 on the silver.

Thanks

Cupra
What are you all using for editing (on the PC)? The GoPro studio software seems to pixelate the video far too much on anything other than the very best settings. The raw footage is all clear and sharp, but as soon as it goes through editing it looks shite.

Clio 200 Silverstone
I got a Hero 3+ for xmas, absolutely love the thing. Been trying out positions in the car to try find the best. I like using the suction cup just to the right of drivers head on inside of the window, gives great view of road/dash/hands

Wanting to get a mic set up tho to the back of the car (I have milltek decat system) just wondering what type of mic would be best??

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
Considering a 'gopro' camera for the motorbike, any recommendations? Used for a daily commute recording more than anything so a battery that won't degrade too much over time is the main thing as quality and the waterproof case are relatively similar

Not a bad price in pc world. Would I be wanting a 3+ or is the 3 suitable for me?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/camer...ion-camcorder-black-edition-20205393-pdt.html.

Last edited:

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Managed to fudge my original GoPro Hero last night. The memory card slot had never worked properly ie. once the card was in the slot it wouldn't come out by pressing it in slightly like its meant to. I had to stick a bit of tape on the back of the memory card to allow me to pull it out (Otherwise tweezers had to be used to pull the card out the slot).

So anyways, the camera now wont recognise any memory card I stick in. So have now ordered a 3+ Black edition plus the BacPac battery thingy. Should be here on Thursday.

172 Ph1
I noticed this noise on my Hero 2 and what I did was cut a piece of cardboard and placed it in the sliding / squeezing Clip bit and it's wedged in now , but it's as quiet as a mouse - none of that clicking noise over the recording.

Did a track day in Dec and annoyingly the clicking was still there.

Original HD hero. I know the big knocks are the mount on the bumper which I understand. Im starting to wonder now if its the start/stop button on the top thats vibrating as ive seen a few videos online! Its very frustrating and a very irritating noise!

I have some really good furry tape we use on the cars , I'll try and pop some under the button and test this theory.

Last edited:

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
I have some really good furry tape we use on the cars , I'll try and pop some under the button and test this theory.

It is the start stop button, I sent mine back to GoPro and they sent me out a new unit but it's the same! I modified my case with the fluffy part from Velcro like this and it's a lot better!

96303F9E-A48F-4F90-8DF3-5310514263D8-14822-000008D2EBD524C8_zpsa0ce9644.jpg

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
Has anyone experimented with an external microphone for the Hero 2? Seen a few recommendations for the polar pro but its £65!! A video I saw of it made a huge improvement with wind noise etc though...

172 + 350z
I have just tried an external mic and the sound quality is a lot better. I have had to drill a hole in the case so I could plug the mic in but not a massive issue. Just been playing about as to were to place the mic to get the best sound. So far the passenger footwell is the best, any other suggestions?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Be interested in an external mic, not really at £65 though. Are there any others worth getting?

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
Be interested in an external mic, not really at £65 though. Are there any others worth getting?

That was my thought, as good as it probably is there must be cheaper that are fine - I think Polar Pro make gopro specific ones, hence the price tag (as with all GP stuff it seems!) would be nice to loose the slight 'man in a box' sound they have though as that let's them down...

I'd probably try and find a second case to drill too as I like the waterproofness (?!?)

I guess location depends on what sound you're after? I've only ever used mine to film the LM video last year (lots of wind noise at 100 on a pole out the window...) and some stuff from our campervans in NZ/USA, neither of which required great sound quality....

Passat TDi
I need a decent PC/Mac to edit my videos, looking around £1200-1300 max..
any recommendations?

Ive just bought the new retina display mac book pro 13" the second from top one on the apple website 8gb ram can't fault it! handles full 1080p at 60fps no problems I record from a hero 3 black edition.

Bike*
Ive just bought the new retina display mac book pro 13" the second from top one on the apple website 8gb ram can't fault it! handles full 1080p at 60fps no problems I record from a hero 3 black edition.

Thats good to know cheers mate, put i'm after a desktop.

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
On eBay search for stereo lapel microphone - you can get them for a few pounds.

Is that still good quality? eBay isn't working in my phone at the moment - so are they like 'interview' microphones that clip to your clothes?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Get the cheapest mono one and no, it'll be no better than what GoPro fit as standard.

Find a half decent stereo one, it'll be far better than standard and will give you lots of alternative mounting options (so long as you're happy taking a Dremel to the case to modify it).

Found a GoPro 3 hero (surf) for £220....

Ordered from Argos ready for pickup on Monday. I need to get some flat and curved mounts but they are cheap enough £20 for official GoPro ones which still makes it £20 less than the non surf one...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5636462.htm

That seems like a good deal.

Versus a Motorsport version, is it just the mounting kit they supply different between the two (and presumably a more waterproof case!) or does the camera spec differ also?

I want a GoPro. And a Roll cage mount. I won't be sticking it to my cat, using it to go out on a pushbike etc so if it's purely accesories that differ I am best of buying the surf at £220 and a roll cage mount?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Last edited:

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
That seems like a good deal.

Versus a Motorsport version, is it just the mounting kit they supply different between the two (and presumably a more waterproof case!) or does the camera spec differ also?

I want a GoPro. And a Roll cage mount. I won't be sticking it to my cat, using it to go out on a pushbike etc so if it's purely accesories that differ I am best of buying the surf at £220 and a roll cage mount?

Seems (to me) the mounts are the only difference, other than 'in the sale' I think they were the same price, Argos must just have had more of the surf ones left. I thought they all had a waterproof case. The surf comes with one flat mount and a tether pad.

I've ordered a suction mount, a handlebar mount, a 'standard frame' (to use in the car meaning I can charge at the same time as using), a couple of curved mounts and a long cable for charging.

this is my 'chin mount', only used it once on the bike so far..

DSC_0247_zpsjh18gzkw.jpg