ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Future of Gaming?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
http://www.cobrasimulation.com/

The website isn't sorted yet but a bit of background. Our bodyshop and myself have been in contact with a local guy for the past 2 years helping shape and paint certain items for some American buyers etc.

I've used his demo on a racing game and flight simulator and it was the best gaming experience i've ever had. Utterly immersive. I'm already buzzing to have a go on his latest system which he claims is on another level of the one I played.

COBRA_DESK_ABSTRACT.jpg

The picture above isn't the best idea, the newest design comes with full frame etc so no desk required, the racing game I played had proper seat, pedals and stand etc. I even ducked when the car in front went into the gravel at one point!

Cobra Simulation was born in March (2012) at the Alba Innovation Centre in Livingston and is launching its “Cobra Curved Display” – a world first – virally.

The Cobra Curved Display uses technology usually found in satellites and telescopes to decrease the distance between the traditional projection screens and projector, and reflect an image onto a spherical Panadome.

With the addition of some clever ‘Warp’ software to re-align the image on the screen, the result is a high fidelity immersive screen that fills the peripheral vision. This is all deployed using a very small footprint and a single projector.

Cobra Managing Director Alexander Bradley says: “The number of pixels on the screen determines the quality of your image, today 1080p or HD (1920x1080 pixels) is pretty much the norm and we believe is our ‘enabling technology’ for the Cobra Curved Display solution to really stand out.

Projectors have generally been at least 12-24 months behind the latest TV resolutions and technology; Resolution has been the key element which has held back the ability for projector manufacturers to compete for market share.

We believe our Cobra Curved Display gives projector manufacturers a new opportunity to increase sales and this is being reflected in our developing partnerships with some of the world’s leading professional and consumer brands.”

“With 2K and most likely 4K resolutions billed to become the next standard the Cobra Curved Display is well timed and positioned to take advantage of the new resolutions. Its flexible design allows you to use almost any projector that supports a 1.7 throw ratio.

The higher the resolution the greater the fidelity when using the Cobra Curved Display.

“This great feature means that you never have to replace the Cobra Curved Display; you simply upgrade your projector and swap it out. Minutes later you are ready to go.”

Apart from the technological aspects, the other main attraction of the Cobra Curved Display unit is the price. Cobra plans to start shipping it in the UK and Europe in Q1, 2013 and it will be available through a network of qualified resellers at an estimated MRSP of £5999 ex-works, and excluding VAT.

“The immersive screen Cobra Curved Display will set a benchmark for automotive, flight simulation enthusiasts and companies looking to achieve high fidelity 2D & 3D visuals, where budget and quality are a priority,” says Mr. Bradley.

“We can’t see many people or companies wanting to go back to ‘older’ visuals once they’ve had a chance to see what our Cobra Curved Display has to offer.”

Source: Cobra Curved Display - The Flight Simulator Network

Expensive but epic!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Looks nice, but as you say expensive, and that's the sole reason I can't see it being the future (at least not mainstream).

Heated seats and electric mirrors were probably a far-flung fantasy from Mercedes S-Class' back in the day but they slowly make their way down the models.

DB.

BMW 440i
Surely all 90% of the market want to do is play Fifa, GTA and COD, rather than fly a f*cking battleship to virtual space! Lol!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
IMO the future of gaming is head tracking, it just hasn't been put to use yet. I hope it will one day soon. I saw a video of it using a wii remote years ago at uni and was amazed.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
That looks good but I dont think it will be the future.

I have seen/read about offerings from Microsoft & Sony and they both feature headsets and projectors mounted to project 360 images on to the walls of the room. That's the direction it will go IMO. Or maybe something like google glass?

That above however, would be awesome if you are really in to simulators and had the spare cash and space to use it.

Clio
IMO the future of gaming is head tracking, it just hasn't been put to use yet. I hope it will one day soon. I saw a video of it using a wii remote years ago at uni and was amazed.

Explain?

The screens look cool, but seem more specific genres than mainstream. Time will tell.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Loads of similar stuff about, all way too expensive.

I cant help but think that big screens arent the answer, a pair of glasses, with a screen for each eye, can give both full peripheral vision and proper 3d, that to me seems far more immersive?

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

This one:?

I remember watching that back in 2008!

Last edited by a moderator:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Or maybe something like google glass?

Surely thats of limited use to a gamer? Google glass is all about combining the internet with the real world, gamers dont want to be looking at the real world at the same time as playing a game do they? Surely instead they want to be IN the game, not half in it and half walking around tescos?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
not half in it and half walking around tescos?

I've tried that, get some funny looks with the 50" tv and ps3 balanced on the trolley in the meat isle, not to mention you need a feck off big extension cable which is a trip hazard. damn h&s ruining my fun

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'd need to try that one out. Sounds cool though.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That thing is garbage

http://www.oculusvr.com/

Thats the future. Stop making me post.

The product itself will need to look a bit better to sell many probably, but that to me seems a far better concept than a big tv screen even a wrap around one.

Ive spoken to a couple of people who have been in this, which is about 20 years in front of most simulators and is already about a decade old, lol

9071128.006.1L2.jpg

Not very practical for your living room but you actually get all the sensations of acceleration and cornering properly in that bad boy!

Its a shame is so expensive that not even F1 teams are likely to be buying one as it could be EPIC for teaching driving skills, lol

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Occulus Rift... fantastic. Had a play on the now shipped early dev versions and, despite being fairly low-resolution, they are incredible. They provide an incredible level of immersion, especially compared to previous attempts at this sort of thing. I have to admit I was suitably impressed and now follow the technology with interest.

Clio 172
On the subject of this, I recently done this:

http://www.letsrace.co.uk/

Basically, a room of 10 cars, everyone racing on the same track. Very realistic physics.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362242117.129159.jpg

Your all in F1 cars, It was brilliant. The cars applied forces up to 2G IIRC (they slide back, forwards and side to side when cornering, accelerating etc), so it really throws you around after correcting a slide etc. Absolutely brilliant, no traction control, no abs, nothing, and it gave you a surprisingly large amount of feedback through the steering wheel.

Flappy paddles (gear changes are violent and really shake the car)

Enjoyed it, 35? Each I think. Got a practice lap, and 2 races. Was brilliant!

Technology has gone really far, once in the car you really do get immersed, and get all sweaty palmed and panicky. Brilliant

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
360 degree immersive simulators FTW.

It's possible to convert a car to operate a simulator, if I had a few grand spare I'd do it myself, but the main expense is the screens.

if you want real G force though you can add another 30-40k to that.

Evo 5 RS
To me advancing gaming is anything that assists in shortening the time it takes for the player to react. Might even sound a bit lazy, but I don't see the fascination with motion control (Wiimote etc). Swinging about like a maniac doesn't add anything to the game really.

It's a fun novelty but that just goes to show where the whole industry is heading. Casual gaming is taking over, and expensive items such as this don't have any kind of place in it IMO.

Clio 172
To me advancing gaming is anything that assists in shortening the time it takes for the player to react. Might even sound a bit lazy, but I don't see the fascination with motion control (Wiimote etc). Swinging about like a maniac doesn't add anything to the game really.

It's a fun novelty but that just goes to show where the whole industry is heading. Casual gaming is taking over, and expensive items such as this don't have any kind of place in it IMO.

Exactly that.

Whilst these things are great fun, you can't do it every day. Too much effort to play when you wanna lay down and shoot up a few zombies

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
360 degree immersive simulators FTW.

It's possible to convert a car to operate a simulator, if I had a few grand spare I'd do it myself, but the main expense is the screens.

if you want real G force though you can add another 30-40k to that.

Sega world in dubai have done just that with an AE86,skyline and Imprezza.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
As an arcade game though, I'm guessing?

Here's a scratchbuilt sim c**kpit, gives you a bit of an insight of how things slot into place. However it's only using a PS3 so you can't benefit from the dials working, warning lights on the dash e.t.c. (which you can do with PC simulations, my preference would be LFS)

However, I'd say it's better to chop a car in half, sort out all the wiring to the rear (a LOT of resistors e.t.c. to make the front half think the back's still there!), and mount all the computer, hardware and auxilliary power (i.e. using an electric heater to provide heating to the c**kpit, 12v inverters to power the stereo and interior lights e.t.c.) under the bonnet where the engine was. I'm still not sure what the best way to display the simulation would be though. Could use screens like above, or use a screen and projectors, although either way it's the main cost.

Like I said though, that's just for a static setup. If you want it to move, you can add as many zeroes as you like to your budget.

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
As an arcade game though, I'm guessing?

Here's a scratchbuilt sim c**kpit, gives you a bit of an insight of how things slot into place. However it's only using a PS3 so you can't benefit from the dials working, warning lights on the dash e.t.c. (which you can do with PC simulations, my preference would be LFS)

However, I'd say it's better to chop a car in half, sort out all the wiring to the rear (a LOT of resistors e.t.c. to make the front half think the back's still there!), and mount all the computer, hardware and auxilliary power (i.e. using an electric heater to provide heating to the c**kpit, 12v inverters to power the stereo and interior lights e.t.c.) under the bonnet where the engine was. I'm still not sure what the best way to display the simulation would be though. Could use screens like above, or use a screen and projectors, although either way it's the main cost.

Like I said though, that's just for a static setup. If you want it to move, you can add as many zeroes as you like to your budget.

Yeah I'm nearly sure the game was initial d or something drifty like that.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I think that's a stunt one. He has a cracking rally game aswell that we're going to have a comp at.

Mito Sportiva 135
Nice idea but as several have said the gaming future probably lies in smaller devices which fit neatly into the living room rather than massive devices which keep gamers locked in their bedrooms. Companies want to make it more not less accessible sadly.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Well it was recently featured on the gadget show and the business is growing well. Jason described it as the best simulation he's ever used.

Privileged to be part of it.