ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The everlasting ph1 ITB Build **GREEN-BUILD STARTS AT PAGE 100**

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
No far from it, I did a 45 min race and it was fine. I just want to try it to see if it's better/easier in anyway. If not then it will come straight off again LOL. Car development is about making changes to see what YOU like.

it will be good to hear your opnion on both,
i just can't wait to drive mine, let alone develop it

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I totally for got you didnt have your engine in when you asked me about removing the PAS pipes with the rack still on.

Just to add a small spanner in the works. I filled the steering rack up with fresh PAS fluid and then put the link pipe on. Just so it had something to loob it up really.

Looks much better tho doesnt it! :)

You going to get rid of your ABS too?

I don't want to sound argumentative, i'm just defending myself.

I spoke to these people http://www.westernpowersteering.co.uk/ who advised me to leave it dry. As pushing fluid around will make it heavier. He said that by sealing the ends up what little fluid is left in there will be more than enough to keep it lubed up for the rest of my life! lol.

Evo 5 RS
lol tbh what Dan says makes more sense. No pump and half a ton of lovely fluid to slosh around with only your arms to do the work. Kinky

182cup & 172 racecar
No far from it, I did a 45 min race and it was fine. I just want to try it to see if it's better/easier in anyway. If not then it will come straight off again LOL. Car development is about making changes to see what YOU like.

I didn't really find yours hard work Mark, but it would have been a lot easier with PAS.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
well after a lot of thinking i really don't think i can just quit on this project,

if i broke the car for parts and bought something else it definitely wouldn't be a clio and it would only be up to £5k, i don't think anything i could buy for that would be to the same spec as what mine will be once completed, secondly it just don't think i can chuck away all that time and effort over the years.....

so now living away from home meaning i can't get anything done at all i got on the phone yesterday to my painter/sprayer mate to give him the go ahead, first off with the interior, this needs a fair bit of welding it will then be painted along with the engine bay,

however i am changing tack i think on the exterior to keep costs down, i have another friend who is about to set up a wrapping business, this may be my option here, wrapping will keep costs down now and also in the future when i bend a panel, it means i can just get any coloured panel and just get it wrapped, no pretty carlos fandango paint colour etc etc....

hopefully this project can now move forward, even if it is very slowly

53 Clio's & counting
FLOL!

Glad to hear you're sticking with it Neil, good idea on the wrapping if you can get it done cheap, our cars are never 'finished' anyway, so wrapping it now and spraying it later is not an issue

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
FLOL!

Glad to hear you're sticking with it Neil, good idea on the wrapping if you can get it done cheap, our cars are never 'finished' anyway, so wrapping it now and spraying it later is not an issue

Fancy getting the race car wrapped next year, save all this paint malarky.

just makes alot more sense in the future,
also means in my case that if i want to change any panel work for aero reasons i can do it then get panels re-wrapped etc without worrying about colour matching etc etc

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
being in a place where i don't know loads of people i get alot of free time, meaning alot of thinking time, and despite what i have said previously i am still questioning what to do with the car.....

after browsing racecarsdirect.com the other night, thoughts turned to how i could potentially break the clio, sell it in bits and then put a little bit of money (possibly) and end up with something already done and of a better spec, such as an old clio cup race car - http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listing/43089/renault_sport_clio_cup.html

hmmmm.....

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Put that free thinking time into doing the car if i was you, although i've been through the same lines of thought as you getting a old cup racer now means parts are scares so if you have any problems you'll be spending alot of money and time trying to find and replace the parts.

Also IMO abit harsh but it's not the current climate to be selling your bits especially on this forum some users wanting to pay pennies for good items so could take you months to sell all items.

Stick with it and think of the end result (even if it seams a long time)

Sorry to hear your still having doubts mate :( Honestly stick with it! I went to view a few of these and also mk3's before I did mine and they were all as rough as a dog's arse! To put a set of ITB's on if you were to ever want more power is a big job, re-wire, new ecu, new dash! Every single one I went to see was advertised as good condition but they all needed a full strip and re-build really as no body knew when anything had been last changed such as bearing's, oil changes the lot :(

TTRS & V50
I was glad for you at post #3405 and then I hit #3413..

..stick with it, knowing everything about the car, how it went together and something you built is ALWAYS far better than something pre-made.

buying an old racecar is very similar to visiting the local prostitute..

Sure, you`ll have some fun in her but you`ll know full well its had the life fu**ed out of it and her best performance is many years behind her....

Evo 5 RS
This is true, the bloke who bought our old Spire had f**k loads of problems with it. It had only had a year of abuse as well, wasn't all that old.

It got given hell

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
buying an old racecar is very similar to visiting the local prostitute..

Sure, you`ll have some fun in her but you`ll know full well its had the life fu**ed out of it and her best performance is many years behind her....

i love the way you put it..... i dod see sense from what you are saying though....

Trafic 140dci
This is page 172, must be a sign ;) IMO don't sell it to buy another car that is race ready i done that with the white Clio to save the hassle of getting a cage, and has been a total pain in the a*se in the long run, and i wish i'd never got it, lots of things on it were done that i wasn't happy with so i have had to redo etc. It's took me till now to get it to a standard i'm happy with, If the white one sells i'll be buying another standard Clio and starting from scratch with the new engine i've picked up :)

TTRS & V50
i done that with the white Clio to save the hassle of getting a cage, and has been a total pain in the a*se in the long run, and i wish i'd never got it, lots of things on it were done that i wasn't happy with so i have had to redo etc. It's took me till now to get it to a standard i'm happy with

Sorry, but LOL. Where is the sense in that. I started agree with your comment until I read this bit... it's now for sale :S

Anyway, thought your were moving to Stony, where the f***s Gill ? Lol.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Put that free thinking time into doing the car if i was you,

Anyway, thought your were moving to Stony, where the f**ks Gill ? Lol.

i will answer both those comments in one,
i am lodging in Wolverton (MK) during the week, i then travel home to Gillingham (Dorset) on weekends. The car is based in Wells (Somerset).

All my free time is week nights so i can't get to the car, the weekends i spend with the GF as i don't see her through the week at all,
the plan is to move up around August / September time, but we will see.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
so after seeing Dan Freeman's thread about selling up his VX220's and getting an Exige it has got me thinking,
well actually since i sat in dan's VX220 last month i had been considering it at the back of my mind,

i really have lost interest in the clio, i haven't seen it for approx 6-7 weeks now due to working away, i also can't seem to get hold of my mate (painter/sprayer),
thoughts have turned slightly and am mildly considering a VX220 turbo,

i would need to consult the gf as the 206 is her car but ultimately a plan could be,

sell her 206 and donate her my Clio Dci
sell all the clio 172 bits

with money from clio bits and 206 sell go and buy a VX220 turbo

Clio 172
Just to emphasise what everyone else is thinking....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for what its worth there has been that many pages of undeciesiveness (spelling!) the clio is never gonna get done... at the minute you dont seem to have the time/means/motivation to progress it..

its a dead weight and a stress to you.. get shot and get moved on...

if it was going to be finished, you would have found a way to do it...

be proud of what it was and ignore what it could have been, some things just aint meant to happen...

BMW E46 330i Touring
I'm inclined to agree with the above mate. It would be great to see it finished but your life is getting busier and more 'stretched' which makes it unlikely.

I love VX220's...

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Hi..
You've put years of blood,sweat and maybe some tears into this awesome build and i think you'd be really disappionted if you sold it all off. I've been on here since 2008 and it was your project that inspired me to mod my ph1(not as good as yours)
I've done a fair few track days and loved diving it, but one track day i crashed at combe mid 2009 with rear end damage..not too bad..new panel,,boot and bumper but i lost interest in it...the car hasn't been on the road or track since. I did consider selling all the mods off but some umming and arring about it I thought i'd hang on to it till i did get interest. I have tried other cars and hobbies(go kart racing lol) to get the same buzz i got from building and driving my own car, so now i've had it repaired and its with k-tec having engine mods done and it will live again :D

What I'm trying to say is..you can always come back to the project as and when the time is right, thats if your mate will let you keep it at his body shop.
Don't know if this helps...just thought i'd share my experience with you Lol

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
thanks for the comments guys, i see sense in the opinions both ways,

i really don't want to quit on it, to get it to where it is now has required nearly every saturday (and a fair few sundays) over the past 2 years, i really don't want to have wasted my time, however i think sometimes you have to look at things and think about maybe cutting your losses.

i had doubts when i lived closer to the car, but since i initially moved 20miles away it was a struggle. Now i work 100miles away during the week, and have to spend weekends with the missus its even harder. i have lost interest because i haven't seen or heard about any progress, the fact it has come to a halt annoys me.

although there is no desperate rush on it i contacted my bodyshop mate to see how things are going and only 2hrs work has been done in 6-8weeks. with all the above thoughts in mind i have put some plans into progress

i have decided to pull my car out of my mates bodyshop, its not because i don't want him doing the work, (as i said there is no rush), its just i need to have everything infront of me to help me make a decision. hopefully next weekend i will be loading the car and all of the bits onto a trailer and taking it back to my house, it will then be put away in the garage. It will probably stay here for a fair while due to holidays and looking for houses and jobs (for the missus) in Milton Keynes.

I will probably then make the decision what i want to do with it, unless i all of a sudden make a decision off the cuff between now and then....

although one thing has been decided, if the build continues it will possibly be re-thought, meaning it would probably take longer, i would look at making it even better again, weld in cage, dash re-think possibly, etc etc, also i would hope things should be easier once i am in MK as a lot of companys are nearby, and also people that know the car, but we will see

more comments and opinions welcome, i really do value the opinions and points people are making

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I really wouldn't sell it pal.

Once you get it back to your house you need to sit and have a proper think. Did you even have a proper plan for what to do with it, or just a strong idea that seemed like it'd be cool?

Personally I think you need to rethink the entire build from scratch, decide on something, think about how you will go about it, and start in stages, from the last few months after leaving FC everything in the build has seemed a little disjointed, it's seemed like you really didn't know where you were going with the car so just sort of did things that 100% needed doing rather than making any real progress towards an end goal.

I think you need to sit down with the car at your house, get a few mates round who've helped you so far, and decide what to do with it because at the minute it's just dead money and you seem to have no real direction with it.

Evo 5 RS
It doesn't help that you never see it tbh. It might make sense now, but you may really regret it later on. Unless you're really struggling then it's a given obviously.

But weigh up how much you've put into it and what you'd realistically get for it...

No ta