ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The everlasting ph1 ITB Build **GREEN-BUILD STARTS AT PAGE 100**

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
UPDATE
Well kind of, I was nearby so visited Northampton Motorsport to see the clio.

It hasn’t had any work done yet but started up straight away. It should be getting looked at this week with regards to balancing the bodies and sorting cylinder 4, then onto mapping

314F7587-6048-4D52-97A9-1BDBFDD6CC13.jpeg

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
looks superb (although i just cant get on with the rear bumper), and good to see its still making progress...........all be it slower than suspected! You must be eager to get it finished and in use now with it being so close

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
looks superb (although i just cant get on with the rear bumper), and good to see its still making progress...........all be it slower than suspected! You must be eager to get it finished and in use now with it being so close

Cheers for the kind words mate, I do understand about the bumper though - it is very marmite... I think a diffuser will eventually be present which should improve it a lot. I am eager to finish it but there is still lots of bits to tie up once I get it back, the wheels, the suspension set-up, doorcards etc etc. My personal life is very busy at present so although it is frustrating that it isn't really progressing it is kind of handy....

Quick question..... Is there a benefit to a single wiper or is it just for aesthetic purposes?

there must be a benefit... I will try to think of some....
at present it is no wiper though.... just keeps blowing the fuse

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
UPDATE:
Had contact from Troy at Northampton Motorsport again today. They have now had the inlet system off and drilled and tapped the inlet manifold, this means the ITB's can now be vacuum balanced.

With the above done Troy had a little bit of time to run the car up this morning. For the people following the thread a few posts back I mentioned about being pleased that there was no leaks on the fuel system I cut/fitted myself. I may have spoke to soon as I think there is a little bit of a leak between the final joint and the fuel line. This should be small and they should be able to sort this though, next up is cylinder 4 which still isn't happy either.....

Hopefully I will be hearing from Troy later.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
UPDATE:
So I had contact from Troy this morning as they have been working on the car and investigating the issue with cylinder 4.

Turns out was a lack of continuity to cylinder 4 through the loom. This was the traced back to the bulkhead connector. On dis-assembling the connector it became apparent that there was an issue with 3 wires (including the one for cylinder 4). When the rubber spacer was pulled out those aforementioned 3 wires just came straight with it.

Apparently it is not easy to de-pin these plugs so I may end up needing a new one.

476A6884-ABBF-479A-8861-23445D8FCD11.jpeg

ECB755D1-4235-4491-9D0B-6F6C3DC0D49B.jpeg

FE423F15-58CA-4B07-9832-2B473A339DDC.jpeg

Troy is letting me know what the current costs are so far as I am guessing it is all adding up now. Must stay positive ?

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
UPDATE:
Physically nothing has progressed again since the last update and is unlikely to until next week.
A new connector (this time an AS mil spec connector) has been ordered and will be fitted shortly.

I have had the bill though, coming in at just over £1800 this is quite frustrating as the car still isn't even running
I am a little shocked but by going through the bill breakdown I can see why this is...

it better be worth it....

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
UPDATE:
Physically nothing has progressed again since the last update and is unlikely to until next week.
A new connector (this time an AS mil spec connector) has been ordered and will be fitted shortly.

I have had the bill though, coming in at just over £1800 this is quite frustrating as the car still isn't even running
I am a little shocked but by going through the bill breakdown I can see why this is...

it better be worth it....

I’m sure it’ll be worth it mate ??

Would be interested to see the bill knowing the little bits soon add up ?

Fingers crossed a good update comes next week ??

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
I’m sure it’ll be worth it mate ??
Would be interested to see the bill knowing the little bits soon add up ?
Fingers crossed a good update comes next week ??

A lot of it is hours...
3hrs rolling road time (attempted)
9hrs working on/trying to sort the loom issues and sorting the inlet balancing
aswell as £650 + VAT for the new ECU and there we have it...lol

Bills like this just mean everything will be a lot slower coming together, even when I get it back... Still needs new tyres, suspension/geo set-up etc etc.
With large bills I am thinking I will be lucky if it makes a trackday in 2019... sadface

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
A lot of it is hours...
3hrs rolling road time (attempted)
9hrs working on/trying to sort the loom issues and sorting the inlet balancing
aswell as £650 + VAT for the new ECU and there we have it...lol

Bills like this just mean everything will be a lot slower coming together, even when I get it back... Still needs new tyres, suspension/geo set-up etc etc.
With large bills I am thinking I will be lucky if it makes a trackday in 2019... sadface

Know the feeling ?

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Know the feeling ?

Whats a track day?

Yip know that feeling ..
Still hoping to get mine out at some point this year , but booked the R8 on a track day next month instead.

As much as it also sucks for you guys its nice to know the feeling is shared in a way. Its frustrating but I guess it will make me appreciated it even more when it comes. The car isn't going anywhere, it is a long term project (if you hadn't guessed). There will be plenty of time to play...

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
UPDATE:

I spoke with Northampton Motorsport yesterday and the new connectors have been connected to the looms and car fires up and is running on all 4-cylinders. Happy days... shame it wasn't an easier (cheaper) problem to solve but glad we have got to the bottom of it.

Next up is for it to go onto the rollers, hopefully it will still hold all fluids when run up to temperature and we can proceed with mapping - this will be done when Troy can fit it in. Fingers crossed.

I have also asked Troy to weigh the car whilst it is there..... guesses on a postcard???

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
UPDATE:

I realised a couple of days ago that I still could progress a little with the build as I do have 1 small part of the puzzle still in my company. The front bumper....
I need to sort the brake cooling and this was going to be fed by the now not in use fog light apertures in the front bumper.

I already had the trumpets and the ducting, there was just one issue - the trumpets are significantly smaller than the fog light holes.

IMG_0641.JPG

Previously I just stuck a load of sealant around the the ducting which 'kind of' held everything in place, but I wanted to make it better and more sturdy this time.
I started off by making up some templates to roughly the diameter of the aperture, with this I could then see where I could make some tabs to allow it to sit more in-place, more templates were made up...

IMG_0643.JPG
IMG_0644.JPG
IMG_0645.JPG

With templates drawn up for both driver and passenger sides this was then transferred to a sheet of thin carbon, the trumpet hole was cut first for easy, tested for fit before the rest were cut.

IMG_0647.JPG

IMG_0649.JPG
IMG_0650.JPG

Happy with the apertures for the trumpets the rest were cut out and then fiddled with to get as close to a good fit as possible.

IMG_0691.JPG
IMG_0692.JPG

The fog light trims are an extremely weird shape so I couldn't get them perfect but I am going to mount them in place and then edge them with some black silicon.
Should look alright.

As I had the carbon out I also marked up and then cut some indicator blanks, however really not happy with them, bit of a funny shape really...

IMG_0693.JPG

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
UPDATE:

IMG_0299.JPG

Just had a call from Troy at Northampton Motorsport and the car has now been mapped.
There are some little niggles still to sort but I guess these are small fry to now knowing the car is actually running well and it withstood the power runs.

The car was originally assembled by BTM Performance with a the loom/ECU side of things done by TDF, since then I have heard a lot of things about TDF and I did question the original results from there (and how honest it was). I was also told when the car was mapped previously that the exhaust was potentially restricting it, so since then the exhaust went from 2.25" - 2.5"

Below are the comparison graphs.

RR_comparison.jpg

So it has made less BHP than previously 212bhp down to 20bhp but the torque is up an extra 10ftlb's to 167.2 from 157.7. Also the curves look loads better hopefully meaning the car will drive a lot better. Pretty happy for a pretty bogo engine - (Catcam 428's, ITB's with custom airbox, 2.5" exhaust no cat, no PAS/air-con, no VVT, NO PAS)

Still some annoying bits to sort and a couple things that Troy is picking up... but I am going to be broke ffs

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Great to see. You must be happy even if your wallet isn’t!

Very happy with the curve, a massive improvement. Looking forward to driving it now, but it may not come out in anger for a while.

I will have to look at saving/paying these bits off for a little while which should work out with sorting the other bits and bobs too (as they will be minimum expense but just my time). Timescale wise it works out because the next 6-8 months are looking a little busy....

4611be86-e97d-4942-864f-a36428708146.JPG

Just managed to sort my toys before all of my time is taken up and I don't have time to build it anymore....lol

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Very happy with the curve, a massive improvement. Looking forward to driving it now, but it may not come out in anger for a while.

I will have to look at saving/paying these bits off for a little while which should work out with sorting the other bits and bobs too (as they will be minimum expense but just my time). Timescale wise it works out because the next 6-8 months are looking a little busy....

View attachment 1422749

Just managed to sort my toys before all of my time is taken up and I don't have time to build it anymore....lol
Wahey!!! Well done mate! Goodbye money, spare time, hair etc etc etc ???

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
WOW congrats Neil :)

Looks like that will be two green clios parked up next year while we get on with the next stage of life .

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Ha ha! Great news. Prepare for life to change for ever!

Wahey!!! Well done mate! Goodbye money, spare time, hair etc etc etc ???

WOW Congrats, put the car away now, start thinking about it again in 4 years (y)

Congratulations bud, good news all round ??

Thank you guys, much appreciated. Yeah I do think it is going to be pretty different, in a good way I hope....lol

WOW congrats Neil :) Looks like that will be two green clios parked up next year while we get on with the next stage of life .

Are you due to mate? If so, big congrats...

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Thank you guys, much appreciated. Yeah I do think it is going to be pretty different, in a good way I hope....lol

Are you due to mate? If so, big congrats...

Yes mate due our first one mid Oct , that's why i'm pushing to get my car done to at least get a few trackdays out of it beforehand.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Yes mate due our first one mid Oct , that's why i'm pushing to get my car done to at least get a few trackdays out of it beforehand.

Awesome man, congrats. This will be our first also, and are due early November.

I would have liked to get some use out of it before then but realistically funds just aren’t going to allow that with the bills for this and so many other things going on. It just means it will be spot on for some point next summer hopefully.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
UPDATE:
So some of the niggles I am going to have to look at with the car:

No Speedo
The dash has no input for speed. These are not taken from the wheel speed sensors but previously on James Ashtons car where through a data logger. The later Race Technology Dash2's (the pro) came with GPS built in from 2017 onwards. Well I am pretty sure mine is neither 2017 (lol) or a Pro so I would need to look at purchasing a GPS transponder and a Data logger - this would be an extra £500-£600, something I can not entertain at the moment - who needs a speedo anyways???

Kill Switches
Apparently the kill switches are not working. This is a bit concerning. Troy has said that they double checked the pin-out when they were re-pinning the new plug and they are not wired through there - so that negates any issue there. The confusing part is that the engine should not run unless the kill switches work. I am hoping it is just a loose connection somewhere - although I would imagine this would have the same effect as the switch not working? My second concern is that somehow the Armtech might have been damaged... I really hope not.

vroomtshh

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Ibiza Cupra TDi
For speed - I have the original dash 2. Race technology sell a wheel speed sensor. I put it in the original ABS sensor hole on the passenger hub and ground all but two teeth off an and ring and welded up the gap between the two teeth. That way you have a dedicated speed sensor and I think it was around £60

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
For speed - I have the original dash 2. Race technology sell a wheel speed sensor. I put it in the original ABS sensor hole on the passenger hub and ground all but two teeth off an and ring and welded up the gap between the two teeth. That way you have a dedicated speed sensor and I think it was around £60

Ah, spot on. I will potentially look in to doing that then I think.