ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Cup is alive!

Freetrack&Monaco 172
Well after my Cup dying from cambelt failure 3 and a half weeks ago I have her back on the road plus some upgrades.

After collecting a low mileage engine from tomtom172 a couple of weeks ago I have been stripping out the dead one over the last weekend and fitting the new one. After panicking because it wouldn't fire I discovered that I hadnt reconnected the flywheel (crank) position sensor. plugged it in and Bob's your uncle, Brooooooooom!

Managed to fit my pair of new wishbones, removed the fog-lights and loom ready for brake cooling ducts or CAF..... haven't decided which would benifit more yet......and gave her an oil change/filter on the new engine, new gearbox oil, fresh coolant....you get the idea. The Streamline Carbon wingmirror covers I had are fitted, just have to fit the rear CF bumper insert and rig up some bolts to attach the CF washer blanks on the front bumper.

Took her to Tyres Northampton for a full Geometry setup. Had them dial in 1.5 degrees of negative camber and 4 minutes of toe out after reading some reviews on setups and a long chat with the technician. Drives like a dream now, so much more stable, the old shed is now on 101k so definately needed the TLC. The toe out setting combined with the new ball-joints/bushes has made the car a lot more pleasant to drive, no torque steer noticeable, does not follow the road camber etc. A very worthwhile exercise and the feel through the steering wheel is fantastic compared to before! Very impressed with the service at Tyres Northampton too.

Having looked at the dead engine the cause of death was a tensioner/roller failing. The plastic roller surround had disintergrated, damaging the cambelt and obviously loosing its grip on the top pulleys. Belt looked like the original from factory one, even though the service history had belts changed at 73k.....think I was conned by the garage I bought it from 2 and a half years ago, and surprised it lasted so long.

Over the winter I intend to strip the engine down, find out the extent of the damage if there is any, rebuild the head as the stem seals/valve guides were leaking oil before anyway and possibly get a younger bottom end and build a low pressure supercharger'd engine to drop in to the cup or a donor shell for fun or something similar.....we shall see. Having thoughts of maybe dropping it into a 106 S1 Rallye as I have always had a thing for them since I had my old one. Not sure if it would fit or even be possible tbh. It would be awesome if it would (200+bhp in a 850kg car) but I might get bored and just sell off the block etc and revamp the Cup.

Will add some pics of during the rebuild/pics of damage to old engine this evening.

TTRS & V50
Look forward to the pictures. Did you do all the work yourself ?

That's why I'd only buy a Clio with a cam belt done at a respected dealer knowing they would change the tensioners. A normal garage wouldn't bother usually, let alone time it up right.

Tyres Northampton is a really good place, I don't dare ask how much they charged you for a full geometry though.

Freetrack&Monaco 172
Yeah all the work was done myself, will admit had a bit of help on Saturday from the Mrs' friend's fella who is a mechanic......mainly as a second person to help get the engine out as I had rented a crane from HSS so a second pair of hands was required! Not my first time whisking engines out, had to do something similar with my old Rallye 106 when its big end bearing went. Some of my friends were a bit shocked I was doing it myself........"you're doing it yourself.......isnt that hard??" lol. Big hunk of metal to me with some big cogs on and some wiring.....not that complicated really, I went for a straight like for like swap with the engine blocks so just a matter of unbolting things in the right order and putting them all back once I was done.

The garage I got the car from all seemed legit including the belts tensioner in its history as I was very picky when I was car hunting. Just unlucky I guess and have no comeback but the new engine had 41k on it and pulls so much smoother lower down than my old one. Think the original had been given 101 thousand miles of hard life (some of which I was responsible for)!

The alignment would have been £40 but as mine needed camber done too it was £90. The car has been transformed though so in my eyes was worth every penny. Had great service there, and they gave me a very competitive price for tyres too so will be back to them soon for those. Tempted to have my original Turinis refurbed gloss red (or maybe anthra...) so will need some tyres for them too.

TTRS & V50
Fair enough.

Not as bad as I was expecting on price then.

Get 15's, tyres are cheap as chips.

In fact I'm back in Northampton this weekend putting my car back to standard. Fancy some Mint OZ F1's with nearly new tyres all round ;) ;)

Freetrack&Monaco 172
Ha ha, I talked to you about this before! If you are willing selling me the standard 172 ones you might have a deal but obviously defeats your "back to standard" plan.........are yours 15s or 16s btw?? :rasp:

Not a massive fan of the F1s tbh and was thinking of going down the 15" 2118 route in the future.......

TTRS & V50
OZ F1's are better than 2118's :eek:

Yeah 15's in Anthracite, newly refurbed and powder coated.

Don't see many cups on Anthracite F1's

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Big respect from me mate for doing this yourself...
Shame you're not closer, you could swap me my snapped phase 1 out...:dapprove:

Freetrack&Monaco 172
Big respect from me mate for doing this yourself...
Shame you're not closer, you could swap me my snapped phase 1 out...:dapprove:

Thanks fella!

I was lucky tbh that I dont have air-con, that would have made it more difficult as apparently the pipes are quite rigid. The powersteering pump is on hoses so that tucked quite nicely out the way so didnt have to refill that. Only hard bit was getting the driveshafts pulled out from the gearbox so the complete unit would lift out, major use of 'bungees' to support them as the track-rod-ends would NOT undo so the hubs had to sit sort of 'in situ'!! Grrrr

In total it took me about 4 full days to do the swap, 3 of which were on my own.

3 days to take it all apart and get the new engine in place, 1 day to put it all back together lol. Everything has been put back together with a dab of copper grease so if I ever have to do something similar again it'll be so so much easier without seized bolts. Also if I did it again I know where all the hidden/difficult bolts are and the easy ways if getting bits off etc.

Put on a new pair of Enko type nuts on the driveshaft hub ends, and in the end I didnt require the roll-pin for the drivers side shaft/gearbox splines as it just slides on. Had to fit a new speed sensor though as I didnt take it out prior to engine removal and it got a little squished (read: snapped in half). £25 from renault and they had one on the shelf helpfully, guess its a standard fit for all renault gearboxes without ABS?!?

Annoyingly I am scheduled to be the other side of the world with work from the 27th for a month otherwise I'd have offered to give you a hand. Have you managed to get a new engine yet?

Didnt get a chance to do pics last night so will do when I get home today!

Laguna sport tourer
sorry to hi jack your thread. do you have adjustable camber bolts fitted or did they manage to adjust the camber with the standard setup, the only reason i ask is because i have a camber difference between sides and was told its not adjustable.

thanks james