ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The black phase 1.

Clio172 phase 1
Recently purchased this as a non runner project. I haven't heard it run however been assured it does run. It needs either alternator or battery and a power steering pump, rear shocks and generally re commissioning. It has been stood for 18 months!!
The following photos are from its recovery to the garage today. Over the next few weeks I should find out what I have to deal with. in the last ten thousand miles it has had the following

• Clutch
  • Dephaser and belt
  • Throttle body
  • Idle valve
  • Discs & pads
  • Injector
  • Service
  • Water pump
  • Stainless exhaust
The previous owner has put a lot of money into it and has lost interest so fingers crossed I haven't got a complete lemon!
Bodywork is straight. Hpi clear so just needs talc.
Comments welcome

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 98
  Clio172 phase 1
Thanks for your comments. The car was for sale on gumtree 5 minutes walk away from my house. The man maths was pretty easy. Black + phase 1 + plus recent cambelt&dephaser + straight bodywork + £500 = want.
It's currently sat in garage awaiting an initial inspection so the jury is still out. My aim is to keep it stock and lightly restore it to its former glory.

Clio172 phase 1
#ITS A RUNNER#
Quick update. Garage called yesterday and this is the low down.
Car now runs, has had a battery and an airlock fixed. Needed a little adjusting to get the lights working correctly.
For the mot the car requires 2 x rear shockers and a tyre. That's it!!.
I should have the car ready to drive in the next week or so (in no rush at the moment as I have 2 other cars).
Plans are to get the car driving for a couple of weeks to see if any faults/ niggles develop then sort as required.
Then to do a full service (myself) and clean and protect for the winter.

Great that its a runner. Remember and check how long ago the belts were done as if its been sitting for 18 months and the belts were 10k before that id guess they're probably due. Other thing is id be at least doing an oil change before i drive it after it standing all that time

Clio172 phase 1
Update. 600 miles in.
This car is fantastic!!
It puts a grin on my face every time I drive it. I have carried out a service myself and changed the exhaust system back for a stock one. I have had to replace a burnt out wiper mechanism and that's it. The car returns 38+ mpg and now I'm looking forward to the warmer weather so I can give it some detailing love. The bodywork is straight and rust free so I'm going to have high expectations with the buffer. Future plans are still to keep it stock and as original as possible.
Future plans are to clean it to within an inch of its life
Refurb the oz f1,s and wrap in Tokyo tyres and generally enjoy the car

Clio172 phase 1
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Update time.
This little car is fantastic I love it.
I have now covered approx 1500 miles almost fault free.
Window wiper mechanism burnt out. Replaced this myself for £20
Jobs done so far are
  • Oil & filter
  • Cabin filter
  • Air filter
  • General clean& tidy
  • Drivers seat de-bobbled using a razor
  • Have got a set of headlights that are in better shape than mine so I'm going to polish and replace
  • Exhaust replaced with a stock item
That's it generally keep it serviced and clean. It recently reached the 100k threshold which really upset me.
I'm going to get the alloys refurbished and some new rubber in the coming months, I'm then going to tackle the paint with a good machine polish. I am however a bit worried as there are a few bird poo marks that have eaten into the lacquer. Not sure if I'm brave enough to wet sand. This car is currently used every day for work and even though I only paid £500 I don't want to put the miles on it. If only a had a lock up...
Coming soon, headlight restoration
Thanks for reading