ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The 197 appreciation society :-)

Clio 1970000000
Driving home with the family and had to go 2 junctions on the M1. As I leave the slip road and move over to the fast lane, a beautifully modded (one of the most tasteful jobs I've seen) mkIV golf goes past.

They are well impressed with my 197 (and before you comment, this is not some chavvy vs thread) and watch with big smiles as I get in the fast lane behind them (the guy in the back of the golf turns round with a huge smile on his face) and then they move over and I give them a wave as I drive past. Made me proud to own my 197.

B0ll0cks to all the vs threads, this was just a couple of minutes appreciating the look of a 197 in motion. If these cars weren't so rare on the road, you would not have gotten the appreciation. Don't think it ever happened in my EP3.

RB 197 fatty
second this! Cleaned and polished her today and went for a sunday drive for the first time in nice weather in ages... and am still amazed by the attention it gets.... from all ages!

Turbo LY R27
Yep my R27 gets loads of looks, think the yellow helps lol! But im always staring at other 197's, im always in mine so dont really see it from another perspective, they look so wide, and in the rear view they look so mean. Something which is the 200 doesnt have unfortunatly.

albi 197
can't say i ever get this. the only way i get attention is if i do a full launch off some lights. most other clio rs owners round by me are completely ignorant as well and look at like your a nutcase if you give them a thumbs up.

Clio V6
The 197 has great road presence, you really notice one when it's coming. The R27s stand out even more :)

Clio 1970000000
When a 197 is behind you, the flared front wings make it seem huge. Think what it must be like in a V6 :D

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I have to say even I turn my head.

Mostly for albi but they still look fab and phat in the flesh!

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Yeh I get alotbf attention in the 200, especially in petrol stations but I agree, the rear of the 197 looks so much meaner and bigger

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
I think the rough texture of the rear diffuser on the 197 makes it look 100x better

Clio 1970000000
Surely the rear end is pretty much the same with the exception of the plastic tailpipe trims on the 200?

I think he means the front end when the 197 is behind you.

BTW Roy, I say a FRS in blue yesterday with 2 drainpipes for exhausts :S. I think it was lowered as well as the bottom of the frony splitter had banged on something

Crappy work hire car
Lol shh, you're like that little devil that sits on the shoulder in the cartoons "go on, you know you want to..." :rasp:

Clio 1970000000
Black doesn't show of the lines as well as other colours imo. You must be a masochist looking at all the 197s out there. Seriously, when do you think you will get yours?

Crappy work hire car
I've basically got a free car to use for whatever I want with reimbursed fuel, no tax, no MOT, no services and no insurance until August, so there's no point buying before then.
On the plus side, it means I can save up loads and take out a lower loan amount for when I get to buy one.

But yes, I'm being masochistic and checking regularly lol

Mini Cooper S
Whats the average fuel consumption you guys get from the 197? Also what is the ride like on the standard non cup suspension?

Clio 1970000000
Whats the average fuel consumption you guys get from the 197? Also what is the ride like on the standard non cup suspension?

I can't get over 25mpg. The ride is great on standard suspention. The standard setup is better for road driving, the cup is better for the track.

clio 197
i just looked for the first time in ages im on 20 :-(
but i drive back roads to work as there is no main roads really. alwyas stoping and starting and always foot down, how its ment to be driven, tbh you really dont mind it as your in 197!!!! and it gets soooo many eyes :-D

MCS R56
The 197 does look very good but people who are interested in cars will sometimes look at cars more noticeably.

clio 197
i think aslong as you get one with a really good spec your laughing.

take the clio badge off and most people dont even know its a clio. iv been asked so many times what kinda renault it is...

also get a milltek and its a different car totaly.

tbh black is a nice colour on it to, that totaly contradicts what i just said. but you can make it look really nice stealthy so many examples on clio197.net

MCS R56
There is a nice blue (nimbus?) example near where I live. I would have one if it wasn't for the dire mpg!

LY 200

I can't get over 25mpg. The ride is great on standard suspention. The standard setup is better for road driving, the cup is better for the track.

There is a nice blue (nimbus?) example near where I live. I would have one if it wasn't for the dire mpg!

003-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

;)

Mines only covered 7k so im hoping it gets better with the miles!

Had a good few blasts over the weekend an am rocking just over 29 mpg having done about 170 miles on this tank.

Clio 1970000000
My mum has a 1.4 mk3 clio (not sure what model it is) and the ride in the 197 is definately firmer. What I noticed driving my mum's car is that although it corners well, it feels tall and wallowy. It feels like you are sitting on, rather than in the car.

The 197 feels much more connected to the road. You feel in rather than on the car. I don't have the cup suspension and I am very happy with the balance between comfort and performance.

Mini Cooper S
Of course I'd expect the ride to be firmer but just wondered if it was crashy/uncomfortable.

Crappy work hire car
When I've test driven 197s, its obvious that the suspension is much stiffer than a normal car, but not uncomfortably so IMO (my OH thought it was, but meh what does she know). From that perspective I can't imagine what the cup suspension would be like!

LY 200
The cup suspension is quite hard but it just makes the car feel likes its stuck to the road! There is also very little roll on cornering which is a nice touch too!

Couldnt reccomend it enough tbh.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I was behind one this morning going to work, in a lovely champagne/silver colour. Looked ace, TBH. Thought it would have suited a nice shiney exhaust, as the standard item doesn't do the diffuser justice.

They're certainly growing on me, anyway.