ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The 172 Flame Red Shed Thread

Ok so thought id start a project thread so that I can keep updating as I keep doing bits, rather than keep making new threads...

Ill start from the beginning ;)

I first got the "Clio Bug" when I bought my 2003 1.2 Clio Extreme 2. I then joined this site, which made me fall in love with the 1*2's, and ever since, I dreamt of owning one as soon as I could afford one.

Heres my 1.2 when I first got it:
IMG_0039.jpg

And here it is once it had the "Harpham" touch:
DSC00051.jpg

DSC00057.jpg

DSC00058.jpg

Mods were:
- Vmaxx Coilovers
- Dynamique 15" Alloys sprayed anthracite
- Tints :dead:
- Renault diamonds, wing mirrors and bullet lettering sprayed orange
- Longlife Custom Exhaust Catback system
- Pop pop rude boy sound system, y0!

So come January this year, I realised that I could afford to buy/run a sport model, so the search began...
My girlfriend bought my 1.2 off me for a cheap price, so I didnt have to worry about selling that or wondering what I was going to get for that.
After a few trips across the country to random places, and going into what can only be described as the ghetto in once instance, we came across this pearl ;) :
100_1085.jpg
(Pics are from when I got it home)
A 2002 (52plate) Clio 172 on 42k and FSH mainly at Renault. Also has the optional Satnav extra. It was pretty much a minter so I snapped it up straight away........

At first, the plan was to just clean it up and leave it standard!

But tbh, I knew that this wouldnt last!

The first thing I did was add the +10BHP CS sticker:
100_1092.jpg

Then got hold of new rear plates, as the ones currently on had that gash EU badge:

100_1136.jpg

I then unfortunately went over a massive pothole one night, which totally messed up one of them horrible alloys... So i quickly snapped up a set of standard alloys from someone on here. So one sunday morning, me and my dad set off on the 450 mile round trip to pick them up... It was definately worth it! The wheels were mint!
100_1107.jpg

100_1113.jpg

DSC00482.jpg

DSC00480.jpg

My exhaust then started to blow about a month into ownership, so I ended up purchasing the Ktec Supersport Recessed Exhaust system, and got it fitted the next day!
100_1140.jpg

DSC00527.jpg

And soon after that, joined in with the sheep and bought a Skoda Splitter. Makes a world of difference IMO. Best £10 spent!
100_1157.jpg

and then it all went wrong............... ;)
True that... Ill get to that part ;)

Then added a KTR Panel Filter, aswell as took the car for a service and its MOT (which it passed with no faults :) )
100_1147.jpg

In around April time, I had a go at spraying my bullets... I was very happy considering I have no DIY skills whatsoever lol

100_1190.jpg

And a Cup spoiler soon folllowed:

100_1176.jpg

100_1175.jpg

Along with a 3/4 front plate:

100_1193.jpg

Around June time, I got hold of my Si Group Buy Tow Eye, so I fitted that (ignore the front diamond, I was trying something that obviously didnt work lol)
IMG00090-20100603-1020.jpg

I then got the detailing bug, full on... So I got my machine polisher and aload of goodies ordered so that I could get my car up to standard and get rid of all the swirl marks...

DSC00937.jpg

DSC00940.jpg

DSC00955.jpg

After:

DSC00956.jpg

DSC00957.jpg

DSC00960.jpg

DSC00964.jpg

DSC00981.jpg
(In time for FCS)

DSC00984.jpg

DSC00989.jpg

DSC00990.jpg

I was extremely happy with the results, especially considering it was the first time that id ever done anything like that!

By this point, in June, id got it pretty much in the standard that I wanted it!

From then on, its pretty much been doing little things to it as I havent been sure which route to take the car in.

I did this:
DSC00063.jpg

Which quickly went, as I realised that it wasnt for this car...

Recentish shot of the car when wet:
DSC00324.jpg

And at the start of this month, as some may know, it all started to go a bit tits up...
My car developed a nice little electrical fault where my hazards wont stop flashing. So after the advice from people on here, I got a new hazard switch ordered, which didnt sort the problem :(
I then cut a wire to the alarm, which kept all the alarm features, but seemed to stop the hazards from flashing... Happy Days, so I thought!
About a week later, they started flashing again, gradually :S and are now flashing again constantly, so I think its time for a new UCH :( ££££
Also, since this problem occured, the satnav screen doesnt want to turn on :(

When we first sorted the hazard problem, I was buzzing... I thought that the problem would have jogged on and I wouldnt have a problem anymore, so I got the decat ordered :evil:

DSC00353.jpg

Videos of the before and after can be found on my youtube below:
http://www.youtube.com/user/harpham?feature=mhum

It does sound great, and it has made me decide the future of this car...
As I said at the start, I wasnt planning to modify if at all, nevermind doing little bits like I have done.
But now, even with the problems that I am currently facing, I want to prep it for the track and have a bit of fun in it.

Atm, I just have 2-3 things that I want to get so that I can enjoy track days and then maybe get serious about it:
- Coilovers
- Roll Cage (only want a rear cage)
- Some 15" track wheels

Im planning to get them in that order...

Today, I made a bit of progress with the car.

I started the morning by phoning up my local Renault stealers to check the price of a UCH, as when I had a health check at Renault Mansfield they quoted me £550 for a new UCH, fitting and programming, and from speaking to a member who works for Renault on here, he told me that they charged less than £400 to do the job... :S

So I rung up Renault Nottingham and Renault Ilkeston to see if their prices were the same or better than Mansfield prices.

Renault Nottingham quoted: Around £370 for the part, fitting, programming and a diagnostic first to check to see whether it is the problem. It took me about 15minutes to find the price though as the guy at the parts department didnt even know what it was :S lol
Renault Ilkeston quoted: Again, around £370 for the part, fitting, programming and an initial diagnostic.
So I think ill get a diagnostic booked in with one of those 2 tomorrow.
I dont understand where Mansifeld branch got £550 (plus another £50 if I wanted a diagnostic) from... Maybe they just thought theyd take me for a mug ;)

I also received this through the post today:
DSC00373.jpg
"You like this" Facebook style sticker :D

Once my dad was up, this afternoon, we set about finally changing the rear discs and pads as Ive had a set sitting in the spare room for about 3 months now... Also whilst the rear wheels were off, I thought id give them a good clean as the inside of the rim was just caked in shite...

DSC00374.jpg
Wheels off

DSC00375.jpg
New and Old

I got to work on the wheels, whilst my dad was sorting the brakes...

No before pics of the wheels unfortunately. I forgot to take some.

Products used:
DSC00377.jpg

After:
DSC00376.jpg

And to finish off, a few pics I took earlier of the car in its current state:
DSC00369.jpg

DSC00372.jpg

DSC00370.jpg

Hopefully I can keep updating as my progess goes along!
May actually become interesting once I start to prep for the track...
All comments and criticism (and much needed help) welcome :D

Oh and to add, I almost forgot this part...

I recently purchased an RStuner off Gray and on Monday remapped the car... It runs so much smoother now and feels alot better throughout the rev ranges!

Big thanks goes out to Gray for all his support and helping me through my time of idiocy ;) ... Cheers mate!

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Before taking the plunge with the UCH, check the battery and/or all of the terminals in the fuse/relay boxes. These sometimes lime up and cause all manner of glitches. As for the battery, if its faulty or just plain knackered it can cause havoc.
PM Sir Dave. He had similar symptoms and it turned out to be a duff battery.

Remember, Renault will happily mis-diagnose a UCH problem and merrily take lots of money to replace one when it may not be the problem at all!

Before taking the plunge with the UCH, check the battery and/or all of the terminals in the fuse/relay boxes. These sometimes lime up and cause all manner of glitches. As for the battery, if its faulty or just plain knackered it can cause havoc.
PM Sir Dave. He had similar symptoms and it turned out to be a duff battery.

Remember, Renault will happily mis-diagnose a UCH problem and merrily take lots of money to replace one when it may not be the problem at all!

Weve checked fuses, wiring etc with it and I think that the battery is fine, but ill double check that.

When I was speaking to Renault earlier, they said that if it turns out that a new UCH doesnt sort the problem, they put the old one back in and dont charge me! So its no love lost really!

Thanks for the info matey!

340i
Paul,

If you want to pop over one weekend we can attack the electronics and give the fuse box / relays etc. a good check over, I'll bet money on it being something stupidly simple that has been over looked!

Paul,

If you want to pop over one weekend we can attack the electronics and give the fuse box / relays etc. a good check over, I'll bet money on it being something stupidly simple that has been over looked!
Yea can do matey, if you dont mind!
Ive only got basic knowledge of things like that so can only go so far. My bro has checked the satnav screen which seems to be fine.

If you're available any day this week (barring Sunday), it'd be great! Im hoping to get this all sorted within a week or 2 as I have a bit of travelling to do and dont fancy driving without the indicators, Renault World Series being one of these things!

If you can sort it out though, without the need for Renault, they'd be some serious beer tokens in for you pal ;)

Just had a look in the instructions book for the satnav to see whether it had any wiring diagrams etc, when I came across the "Troubleshooting" section...

"The system does not start up"

Causes/solution:
"You have not switched on the ignition. - Switch on."

Oh right, wish I'd have thought of that sooner!