ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Testing clutch and gearbox!!

RB 182 FF
hi all, i am off to view a 52 172 tomorrow, pictures show bodywork and interior in very good condition and FSH and 11 months MOT too.

im ok visually looking over cars and looking at wear and tear etc, but when it comes to a clutch and gearbox, im a little less happy.

is it right to put it in 5th about 30mph and put foot to floor? if it revs tonnes and i dont really move much then its fubar'd?

how about gearbox? how would i know if this is screwed or wearing out?

any help would be greatly appreciated guys

neil

E46 M3
In 5th at 30 and foot to floor will test for clutch slip but if it doesn't slip still dont expect to go anywhere fast! 4th might be better so your a bit higher up the rev range.

The gearbox just check that theres no crunching between gears - a sign of a worn syncro. If there is a lot of movement in the gearstick on and off the throttle it may be a sign of a worn dogbone mount.

RB 182 FF
lol yeah sorry, it sounded like i expected to shoot off in 5th at 30mph :)

ok cheers, ill have a look for excessive physical play in the gearstick and general unwanted noises.....

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
give the gear stick a wobble when its in gear as well, shouldnt be too much play

my old beemer had a good foot of travel when in gear :eek:

ValverInBits
give the gear stick a wobble when its in gear as well, shouldnt be too much play

my old beemer had a good foot of travel when in gear :eek:

Nope. These are "solid" gear linkages. Not nice tight cable linkages. Play in the gear lever is normal.

Movement of the gear lever when getting on and off the power will indicate poor engine mounts.