ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Test running engine without aux belt

I need to test run the engine without the aux belt to rule out a suspect rattle on the PAS pump.

I realise I will loose the water pump, alternator, PAS and AC. The obvious ones being no water being pumped round and no battery top up.

The trouble is it takes a few mins of the car settling down before I can hear the rattle, If i keep an eye on the water temp will it be ok? any other tips?

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
You should be okay for a moment or two at max, but as said you won't get an accurate water temp reading on the gauge.

i drove mine out of the unit last night and up on to the trailer with no aux belt, at most it was running would have been 45 seconds.

Ok, will test today with the aux on how long it takes to here the rattle, hopefully under a min. then Ill do the same tomorrow when its not raining.

Seeing as my other existing thread has gone quiet, does anyone know what I need to do to the new pump before I can fit it? pull the pulley off using a puller? any special method? then can I use the vice to press it back or or is there a hose at the back that cant be pressed in a vice?

330i. E30 Touring.
No need for a puller to take the pulley off the water pump. Just undo the 3x 10mm bolts that hold it on and it'll fall off.

Yeah I had the pulley off for more room when taking the water pump off, but Im reading about this "boss" or "flange that needs to be pressed on and can be a right pain?

I thought the shaft that the pulley attaches too needs to be pulled off? saids something like that in the workshop manuals.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
If the new unit is like the below, you should just have to fit the pulley with the 3 bolts.
img_5752.jpg

I've already done the water pump
Mate the problem seems to lye with the PAS pump now, the workshop manuals show the pulley shaft needing to be pulled off and pressed on ?