ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Test drove a 197 yesterday

Red 197 & Laguna S-T
Went to my local Renault dealer yesterday as i knew they had a 197 F1 there for sale. I really wanted to test drive one to make sure it is the car a really want to buy. I was originally going to buy a 182 but as the prices of the 197's have gone down so much i thought i may aswell buy a 197 instead.

Great car to drive, lovely exhaust note, seemed to be a good driving position but i didn't like the recaros in it. So at least i know what i want now. :)

I had a go in one a couple of years ago and was completly sold. I couldn't fault it. It was faster than my car of the time (clio 1.8 16V) and very easy to drive fast. I was lucky to have a decent (and brave) salesman who let me reall press it. The chassis really inspires confidence.

In the end though I was put off by the fuel economy and lack of speed and went to the opposite end of the spectrum and brought an Alfa 147 GTA. It is rubbish to take for a blast down a country lane but is capable of keeping up with serious motors and completly obliterates every other hot hatch in a straight line.

Red 197 & Laguna S-T
The Recaros in the 197/ R27 were one of the highlights for me.

Have you driven a 182 yet??

Yeah i have driven a 182 i liked it alot but the 197 definetely felt a lot more solid and grown up and in my opinion more fun to drive.

I was also allowed to give the 197 a bit of a beating on the open road :cool:

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
Went to my local Renault dealer yesterday as i knew they had a 197 F1 there for sale. I really wanted to test drive one to make sure it is the car a really want to buy. I was originally going to buy a 182 but as the prices of the 197's have gone down so much i thought i may aswell buy a 197 instead.

Great car to drive, lovely exhaust note, seemed to be a good driving position but i didn't like the recaros in it. So at least i know what i want now. :)

So what is it you are looking at now mate?...
I think the recaros look awesome, although i havent sat in them so can't comment on their comfort!...

Red 197 & Laguna S-T
A Red or Albi Blue 197, with climate control not a/c. I would like the cup chassis but that seems to be a bit rare. Not recaros, i want the standard 197 seats. Thats all really, i'm not fussy.

A Red or Albi Blue 197, with climate control not a/c. I would like the cup chassis but that seems to be a bit rare. Not recaros, i want the standard 197 seats. Thats all really, i'm not fussy.

Cup chassis is only available on R27 and 197s post R27 production

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
In the end though I was put off by the fuel economy and lack of speed and went to the opposite end of the spectrum and brought an Alfa 147 GTA.

That makes sence, put off by the fuel economy of the 197, yet brought a 147 gta....... wise choice!

My 197 used to average 28-30mpg all day long

Red 197 & Laguna S-T

Cup chassis is only available on R27 and 197s post R27 production

Ok, thanks for that info. I think i'll end up buying one without and then just lowering the car about 5-7mm. Maybe not not i'll probably keep it standard.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
In the end though I was put off by the fuel economy and lack of speed and went to the opposite end of the spectrum and brought an Alfa 147 GTA.

That makes sence, put off by the fuel economy of the 197, yet brought a 147 gta....... wise choice!

I think he means for the speed/engine size it isn't a good output. The 147 GTA will return high 20's as well but with a considerably larger engine and more BHP.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

I think he means for the speed/engine size it isn't a good output. The 147 GTA will return high 20's as well but with a considerably larger engine and more BHP.
The sound alone would be enough for me to put up with the mpg.

LY V6 & Fiesta ST

So what is it you are looking at now mate?...
I think the recaros look awesome, although i havent sat in them so can't comment on their comfort!...
When i test drove my 197 cup it was unaided, no salesman at all, great.:D

C63 AMG
The Recaros in the 197 are infamous for fraying and bobbling. Avoid if you can (unless you're buying an R27; then they are unavoidable).

The 197 is far more grown up than the 182. That's precisely why I swapped mine for a Trophy.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
The Recaros in the 197 are infamous for fraying and bobbling. Avoid if you can (unless you're buying an R27; then they are unavoidable).

The 197 is far more grown up than the 182. That's precisely why I swapped mine for a Trophy.

I really like the Recaro's it's shame they fall apart/fray.

That's why i plan to run a 197 cup alongside my 172, best of both worlds imo.

Megane R26
I test drove one today, it's very civilised for a hot hatch.

The grip was awesome compared to my Fiesta ST, and in Nimbus it looked absolutely spot on!

The interior and brakes in particular were fabulous too. Whilst the seats aren't leather, they feel very high quality and are very comfortable and supportive.

I don't think I could buy a 182 now I've tried the 197 - it's a much nicer place to be.

The only disappointment was that it didn't feel very urgent in 1st/2nd when compared to my ST, but in 5th/6th it picked up much quicker from low revs.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Drove mine today with no radio (battery had been disconnected) and there was not a single rattle. Sooooo solid. Done 28k too!!! Love mine!! I average 27/28mpg. Costs about a tenner a week more to run than a 182 imo

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
You can select a Cup chassis on a standard 197. (from around Aug this year?, look for red Brembos and anthricite alloys).

You can select a Cup chassis on a standard 197. (from around Aug this year?, look for red Brembos and anthricite alloys).

So obviously the 197 cups have the cup chassis? but you can also tell if a 197 has a cup chassis if it has red brembos? Also did the cup come with 2 wheel options, the black wheels and the anthricite wheels?

toon

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Yes. But a lot of peeps (me included) have had the Calipers painted red!!! Cups and R27 have the cup chassis. As said, standard 197's had the cup chassis option from around August this year iirc

Swift Sport
I test drove one today, it's very civilised for a hot hatch.

The grip was awesome compared to my Fiesta ST, and in Nimbus it looked absolutely spot on!

The interior and brakes in particular were fabulous too. Whilst the seats aren't leather, they feel very high quality and are very comfortable and supportive.

I don't think I could buy a 182 now I've tried the 197 - it's a much nicer place to be.

The only disappointment was that it didn't feel very urgent in 1st/2nd when compared to my ST, but in 5th/6th it picked up much quicker from low revs.

Walsall eh? Not far from me :D

Megane R26
Yup, I was in Sunny Cannock for the test drive - they seem a decent bunch in that dealership. Did you get yours there?

Cayman S Edition 1
FYI my Albi blue 197 is still for sale at SMC renault in Woking. Traded it in 4 months ago lol

Golf R
195 - 25mpg
182 - 30mpg

Roughly speaking, I appreciate you could get more (or less) from each.

197 - 29mpg
182 - 36mpg

Based on my commute to work from when i had both.... with the 182 you could comfortably get mid 30's, even late 30's if not giving it stick... the 197 had no intention of going above 30 even if you drove it like a girl

but the 197 was my favourite

Ok, having traded from a 182 to r27, i can tell you the 197 provides a definate all round better package. yes, the 182 was immense fun...but so is the 197. yes, you will prob get mid 30mpg in 182 compared to 28-30mpg in 197. the recaros in the 197 are immense, really hold you tight...as for infamour 'bobbling' only time will tell...i know that the leather on the 182 seats started to wear where the seat belt rubbed against them.

which would I rather have, the 182 or 197? def the 197 for numerous reasons...build quality, still plenty of nip about it, road presence (head turner), grip, brakes are in a different league! incidently, i'm not bothered by the fact that the mpg is slightly worse...let's face it, you don't buy a 182 or 197 if that is what your worried about.

so..guess it is your call!

Barge
my F1 gets... 22.9mpg! motorway is slightly better getting up to 27.1mpg. lucky me!!! 38 - 43 quids worth of vpower sees me a week. if i done cane it or go more than 8 miles! ha!

172 CUP
I Have the 197 with cup pack and recaros but no red breaks apparently it is because it was one of the first cuped 197's with it being a 57 plate.

It is the cup pack apparently but with out the toys so im still not sure as i have cruise control, limiter, air con, posh cornering lights that i think are the xenons etc

but no climite control auto lights, wipers, or jack (which is a cup thing).