ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tesco Mobile

Is anybody with these?

I want to get an iPhone through them, but want to make sure that the network is good before I tie myself for 12 months.

Been reading reviews about them, and alot are saying that signal is crap (even though they use O2's, which is good for me) and visual voicemail and call forwarding is not available on the iPhone through them (not a big deal). (But then again only people with bad experiences tend to go online and tell the world, rather than happy customers).

1998 BMW e46 323i
I'm with them. I bough my iPhone 4 outright as Tesco had no stock. I get 500mb, unlimited (3000) texts and I think 500 mins for £10 a month. The signal can be patchy, 3G wise. But 2g is better than any other where I live/work.

They seem to have a good deal on the iPhone too at the mo.

How can their signal differ from o2's? Am I thick, or is it not the same network in everything bar name?

Cheers dude. Thats what im thinking. Quite a few reviews saying signal is crap, which kind of confuses me. Im currently on O2 and have no real problems, so cant see how it can be any different with Tesco. I dont get 3G connection at home, but nevermind, I can use wifi or my MacBook lol.

Im wanting to do their £25pm iPhone deal, over 12months as that works out the best deal tbh, and you get a shed load more stuff for the money. Going to take it out me thinks.

EDIT: Are there any other features that you cant get on the Tesco iPhone? Im not bothered about visual voicemail or call waiting etc as they wont effect me anyway.

1998 BMW e46 323i
They're a virtual mobile network, so my thinking is the signal etc. will be identical to o2's.

Miss out on tethering and visual voicemail, but save £££s.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
You'd think the signal would be equal to O2 but a guy at work got his iphone on tesco and rarely has a good signal. And when he does a speedtest always shows a slower speed than an O2 iphone.

Put me right off them!

I picked one up last night. Just setting it up, so im going to see what it's like.

Signal seems alright atm. I have the 14 cooling off period, so if it does turn out to be s**t, ill be taking it back.

Infact, ive got both my phones side by side. (BB is on O2). Both have 1 bar with a 3G connection.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
my guess is that o2 gives a chunk of its bandwidth to tesco users and only allows connection to certain masts or masts which dont have many users connected, therefore they will have a slower, more limited connection than o2 despite using their network

I picked one up last night. Just setting it up, so im going to see what it's like.

Signal seems alright atm. I have the 14 cooling off period, so if it does turn out to be s**t, ill be taking it back.

Infact, ive got both my phones side by side. (BB is on O2). Both have 1 bar with a 3G connection.

You've got a seven day cooling off period on iphones from Tesco. Fourteen days on all of the other phones sold by them. I signed up with them yesterday too.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
no-fishing-sign.jpg

Listerine & Poledo
Not really. Price of the contract as a whole is £640. O2 deals are way off that.
And after selling both my Blackberry and iPod Classic, it now means that it has cost me £60 to upgrade to this, which isnt bad when you put it into that context.

well, apart from now you've probably got a fifth of the capacity your iPod had :(

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
but you could have bought the nexus s sim free, £10-£15 SIMO deal and ended with a better phone and a saving of £60-£120 over a year

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
but you could have bought the nexus s sim free, £10-£15 SIMO deal and ended with a better phone and a saving of £60-£120 over a year

Replace better with different.

This is the only Android phone I'd even think about considering (theoretically speaking). Google have managed to get Android (hw + sw fragmentation) in a massive hole and are trying their hardest to get out of it, but it's always going to be a massive bag of hurt when vendors are completely free to pick and choose the components that go into it.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
While I agree buying a 4 now is a bit of a silly idea, especially if there was no special deal. Buying an android is not the answer either lol.

Should of kept your BB until the 5 came out Paul!

I'm an impatient bass ;).
If the 5 is worlds better than this, I'll just sell and buy the 5 outright. Either way, I'm happy now, even if it wasn't the best decision.
£60 to technically upgrade isn't bad though.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I use tesco.

Signal for me has been exactly the same as O2. However i'd say internet is a bit slower, but the fact I use wifi 99.99% of the time i'm not that arsed.

dynamique sx mk3
Is anybody with these?

I want to get an iPhone through them, but want to make sure that the network is good before I tie myself for 12 months.

Been reading reviews about them, and alot are saying that signal is crap (even though they use O2's, which is good for me) and visual voicemail and call forwarding is not available on the iPhone through them (not a big deal). (But then again only people with bad experiences tend to go online and tell the world, rather than happy customers).

they use 02s signal dude! orange/tmobile is good to go with they share signal now

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Oh i have the option to call forward on my iPhone on tesco, never tried it though.

they use 02s signal dude! orange/tmobile is good to go with they share signal now

No....they are really not.

Since the 'merge' the Orange network has been overloaded with T-Mobile users. I used to get full signal where ever I went but since the merge I get piss poor 2g and 3g is once in a blue moon.

It's not the phone either as my work phone has failed too. I put an o2 sim in my personal phone and it was straight onto HSDPA so it can't be the phone ;).

I use tesco.

Signal for me has been exactly the same as O2. However i'd say internet is a bit slower, but the fact I use wifi 99.99% of the time i'm not that arsed.

That is exactly what my initial thoughts have been up to yet. Im getting the same signal (I had both my iPhone next to my Blackberry, which was on O2, sat next to each other, and they both had the same signal). I do think the net is slightly slower aswell. But, im the same as you. I have only really used it through my wifi up to yet anyway, so it hasnt affected me!

1998 BMW e46 323i
I get between 1 - 1.5 Mbps with 3G on Tesco at home and work. I was previously with Vodafone, and I couldn't make a call in my own house!

I tried a Three SIM a while back, and while I got much faster Mbps, I also got dead spots without any signal.

For me 02/Tesco is the best compromise.

If the iPhone 5 blows your mind, sell the 4. If not keep it; it's probably what I'll do TBH.

Got my number transferred over yesterday. Got to say I am quite impressed atm with signal quality. It is around the same as my old BB on O2 (even though people on teh netz were complaining about signal quality).
I even get a 3G signal in my gym. With my old phone, I was lucky to even get a signal in there.

1998 BMW e46 323i
Glad you're enjoying it. O2/tesco def has the best 2g coverage by far round my way. I'd love to see a like for like (same phone/carrier update etc) speed camparison between the two. Surely it's gotta be the same?!

Clio 172 cup
Unlikely iphone5 will be out any time soon. First speculation was end of june/early july but after the earthquake in japan its looking likely it will be anytime from september right up to christmas.

If you want a iphone4, get one. Its gunna be a long wait for the 4gs/5/5g

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Yes I am VERY tempted by Tesco too I phone or HTC my contract up next month with orange now so will see whats goin then .