ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tensioning aux belt correctly

Hi guys,

Just wondering what is the recommended way to tension an aux belt? Is there a special tool? Can it be done without a tool?

I've got a ph1 172 non-cup, but running a Pure Motorport air con delete kit. I'm concerned it is too tight, as although it isn't whining, when I just moved the car (admittedly with some semi-flat tyres) the revs were dropping to the point where it nearly cut out.

Any pointers would be welcome.

Lionel Richie
not on the PMS kit its not, generally the longest belt run between pullies using you thumb and forefinger the belt should twist to 45deg max

172 cup, Impreza P1
Correct method is by frequency. But unless you have a frequency gauge then Fred's way is best. When I used a frequency gauge you realise just how tight it needs to be.

Jeez, in that case mine is actually too loose! Was just fearing for all the bearings thinking I'd overtightened it.

Thanks for your help, will get tweaking.