ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Temporary Cover

benkay

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Ph2 + Audi S3(8V)
Hi GUys,

I have full comp. insurance on both my 172 and V6 (obviously). This allows me to drive other cars but only with 3rd party insurance.

I have a Seat Leon i'm trying to sell. It is currently SORN and uninsured. If I re-tax the car, can I legally drive it using my comprehensive insurance as 3rd party cover on the Seat?

If not, can anyone recommend a place to get temporary insurance, like 2 weeks' worth??

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
No you cannot drive it as the car has to be insured for what you're talking about to be in force.

You can try your current insurer and check to see if they'll add it one for two weeks, this often works out cheaper.

Alternatively, temp cover websites, just google temporary insurance and the top few are actually OK.

You won't be able to tax the vehicle without valid insurance as far as I'm aware. Therefore the 3rd party cover wouldn't be valid and I don't think that temp insurance is sufficient.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I heard a story once, where someone was really stuck with regards to taxing a vehicle... I heard they asked for a digital copy of my current insurance policy and then change the registration before printing it out..

Just a story mind.

I would also double check your policy does allow you to drive other vehicles 3rd party, most people take it that fully comp automatically means you can drive other cars which isn't always the case.

benkay

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Ph2 + Audi S3(8V)
28 ;) thanks lad I'll have a look on those sites and get in touch with Groupama to see if they can add onto current policy.

MR2 Mk1.5
Hi GUys,

I have full comp. insurance on both my 172 and V6 (obviously). This allows me to drive other cars but only with 3rd party insurance.

I have a Seat Leon i'm trying to sell. It is currently SORN and uninsured. If I re-tax the car, can I legally drive it using my comprehensive insurance as 3rd party cover on the Seat?

No. If this worked everyone would insure 1.0L cars and drive around in Imprezas. DOC cover does not apply to vehicles owned by yourself.

If not, can anyone recommend a place to get temporary insurance, like 2 weeks' worth??

It'll work out expensive unless you do it day by day, try www.insuredaily.co.uk for prices.

A temporary additional vehicle against your current policy may be the best bet for you.

Ollie
Sky Insurance

http://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/car-club-insurance.html

A temporary additional vehicle against your current policy may be the best bet for you.

This.
I have done this a few times and have always found it very resonable and easy, they even send you updated policy documents which you can use to go and tax the car.

bit of a hijack - Ollie, how far in advance can you quote for?

cheers

MR2 Mk1.5
This.
I have done this a few times and have always found it very resonable and easy, they even send you updated policy documents which you can use to go and tax the car.

bit of a hijack - Ollie, how far in advance can you quote for?

cheers

We can quote at any time, we can only guarantee our rates for 7 days and we'd very much prefer to wait until you are in receipt of your current renewal invitation.

http://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/car-club-insurance.html

Thanks