ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Temperature needle not sitting in the middle. Does this affect performance?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
just been for a drive in mine, temp gauge was sitting really low today, probably about two bars from centre.

outside temp gauge was reading -1, -2 and -3 and was sitting at 60ish most of the journey so this could part of the reason it would'nt warm up much.

went to the limiter twice in 2nd just to see what happened and as expected the limiter kicked in just below 7k.

Change the stat, almost certainly that.

3 10mm bolts hold the housing in, and you only lose a litre or two of coolant changing it, just make sure in this weather that you top up with some antifreeze too not just water.

derv biege barge
I have similar problem.

1 hour drive home from work, live data stream indicates coolant temp never went over 72 degrees C.

Was reading this forum last night so checked rev limit in second gear several times never revved over 6800.

Is it just thermostat, cts or change both?

Some pics: after 1hr drive.
IMAG0297.jpg
IMAG0296.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I have similar problem.

1 hour drive home from work, live data stream indicates coolant temp never went over 72 degrees C.

Was reading this forum last night so checked rev limit in second gear several times never revved over 6800.

Is it just thermostat, cts or change both?

Some pics: after 1hr drive.
View attachment 88983
View attachment 88984

CTS is far more reliable than the thermostat, so change the stat first, if it still doesnt get upto temp it *could* be the CTS so worth changing that as well at that point.

I think mine might be the same as yours MWRS182 but will test it out tomorrow. What device are you using to see the live data in your picture?

derv biege barge
BLT : i use this : http://www.launchtech.co.uk/enthusiast-diagnostics/c-reader-v

I managed to obtain one on ebay for £50, compatability varies from car to car but the official claim is "any OBD2 compliant vehicle 2001 or later for petrol & 2004 or later for diesel"

It works ok on most cars I have tried, although on the clio it only reads engine codes in the form of freeze data, it can turn off the engine light though and perform full data streams, I have used it previously on my old Saxo VTR, Helped me diagnose a duff map sensor and 2X lambda sensors( 1 on saxo 1 on clio) so worth the money in my opinion.

Oh and it enabled me to turn off the engine light on my saxo just before I part ex'd it for the Clio a few years ago.

Fatty: I will be giving the car a full flush whilst I'm in there, it simply made more economic sense to buy 2X5L containers as opposed to 2X1L & 1X5L. Won't hurt to have a bit spare either.

derv biege barge
Jesus I agree.

Loving having my increased rev limit back.

Timing belts & dephaser after Xmas, lets hope nothing else fails inbetween.:banghead:

172, Tiguan
Managed to only loose about 2l changing mine this morning. It's all a bit cramped on the 197 but I got there eventually. Glad I checked online though, there's two bleed points on the system instead of the mk2's one! The 182 stat seems fine in it.