ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Temperature gauge irratic

Clio 172 cup
Hi I'm new here thanks for the add. I have an 03 clio 172 cup I only got it 2 days ago. On the first day all ok but on the second day I travelled to work it was fine then on the way home the temp gauge started to climb past half way as I accelerated it went down, it did this twice and then not for the rest of the journey any ideas. Cheers.

RB 182 FF
Most probably the thermostat and easy to sort yourself.. I got a Valeo thermostat off ebay dirt cheap, I'm no mechanic but it's a doddle to replace...:up:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Sorted my 182 when the dial was misbehaving.
It sorted mine too . It just needed a quick wiggle of the wire and the gauge has been fine ever since , for the past 10 and half years :tonguewink:

RB 182 FF
Just to let you know, my temp gauge did exactly what you described and replacing the thermostat sorted it... it went to the next line above halfway and then back down, a few times... having said that the other guys saying temp sensor may be right, but the important thing is its not terminal and not too serious or expensive...:smile::up:

Clio 172 cup
Just to let you know, my temp gauge did exactly what you described and replacing the thermostat sorted it... it went to the next line above halfway and then back down, a few times... having said that the other guys saying temp sensor may be right, but the important thing is its not terminal and not too serious or expensive...:smile::up:
Mine went all the way to the top ?

RB 182 FF
Ah I misunderstood your post.... it said climbed past halfway, I didn't realise it went to the top... may well be temp sensor, maybe someone can clarify...:up:

As above, you will loose some but it's marginal if you're quick.

3 bolts on the stat housing, whip the old out one and refit new one.

Clio 172 cup
Just an update it did it again this morning twice then not for the rest of the journey I really rhino you guys are right and the thermostat is failing