ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Teesside Autodrome - BDC

Clio 172 Cup
Anyone been along this weekend?

Just came back, roasted my skin to a crisp and had a few cheeky ciders.

What a day, never been to anything like that before, some awesome machines going sideways. Noises made me mess my undies a few times like.

It's amazing home much abuse a car will actually take.

The E30 V8 beamer was my choice of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
  1eight2
I went down, I was sat about the same place that was filmed too!
Great day and agreed im burnt to a crisp. Drift bug is kicking in :\

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
so so so so burnt!

awesome event, got to say so much nicer and chilled out without the public in the pit area.
really gutted about our mx5 having serious oil pressure problems and so not running on sunday :(

1eight2
so so so so burnt!

awesome event, got to say so much nicer and chilled out without the public in the pit area.
really gutted about our mx5 having serious oil pressure problems and so not running on sunday :(

Did the MX5 do a slow lap in the practice stages, I could have sworn I saw one.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
on the sat he was out for open parctice and qualifying but oil pressure was dropping to zero on idle and then eventually fluctuating under load too, taking the power with it, was impossible to drive so he retired it before causing too much engine damage.

:(

1eight2
Ah I was only there sunday so I must have been dreaming things with my hangover. I'm thinking about getting a MX-5 myself

Clio 172 Cup
It was a cracking afternoon, weather and the cider was just a bonus.

I've never been to anything like that before and it was unreal.

The noise was the boy and the amount of rubber/tyre I washed out my hair last night was unreal.

One thing I did notice when walking around the cars on track, the rear tyres people use, some looked like good/expensive tyres (Dunlops and pirelli's etc).

How do teams choose there tyres and how long does a set of rears last?

1eight2
It was a cracking afternoon, weather and the cider was just a bonus.

I've never been to anything like that before and it was unreal.

The noise was the boy and the amount of rubber/tyre I washed out my hair last night was unreal.

One thing I did notice when walking around the cars on track, the rear tyres people use, some looked like good/expensive tyres (Dunlops and pirelli's etc).

How do teams choose there tyres and how long does a set of rears last?

I'm sure I heard that annoying commentator say the tyres last around 3 laps so practice and both heats then need changing. Alot are sponsered by tyres so they'll get them dirt cheap or free i'd imagine. I noticed a few using R888's on the front too.

Clio 172 Cup
Yeah seen the R888's, most of them looking very shot lol.

I was trying to blank him out once his mic started to act up.

Main sponsor seemed to be Maxxis Tyres, never seen a single set on a car lol

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
I'm sure I heard that annoying commentator say the tyres last around 3 laps so practice and both heats then need changing.

thats my best mate lol...
tyres were lasting between 3 and 10 ish laps depending on the car/ weight/ etc ect

Alot are sponsered by tyres so they'll get them dirt cheap or free i'd imagine. I noticed a few using R888's on the front too.

very very wrong myfriend :( this is the cost that pushes most people out of the championship.

Japspeed get Maxxis tyres
Falken get Flaken tyres

the rest of the teams maybe with the odd exeption are privately funded when it comes to tyres, a few use part worns from ebay of have deals with local tyre shops to take thier part worns off them. The rest use camskill and the like. Just buying them as you or i would.
Cheap tyres delaminate and ware quickly, so expensive rubber is the only way to go. Jamie was running brand new prada spec 2s as the TR1's he usually runs were out of stock, His team mate Martin (the nato green e30) was running part worn snow tyres in comparison... it all comes down to what you can afford really.

The fronts will last a season usually... hense the R888s etc being run up front

Clio 172 Cup
Good to have some insider info. I left about 4:30 I think, who won the days events?

I was also wondering, is there much if any prize money involved in this drifting championship?

1eight2
Haha sorry Laura it was the mic jumping which annoyed me. We were discussing tyres and costs, it really shows how much of an expensive sport it is!

Not sure about prize money or winners as i'm not a big follower. I know that huxley motorsport corolla won the semi pro which I loved and i think it was Matt Carter who won super pro but feel free to correct me if im wrong!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
no prize money as such, you get a shiney trophy and a bottle of champers tho :p

Yeah Mark Huxley won semi pro - just need to convince him to do round 4 now!!

and im going to admit to not knowing who won the others lol, we left at about 5, its a long old trip back to cardiff with the MX5 on the trailer.