ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tapping at fire up

Renaultsport Clio 172
Hi guys, as above, my 172 sounds like a bag of spanners sometimes when fired up and is coldish, it does it more so when oil has been there for a while, lets say, 5 - 6k miles, right after the oil change it never does it unitl the oil "wears" a bit. It doesn't do it when completely cold or completely hot, only when it's been there for a few hours and the oild could be warm.

Is this a sign of something on its way out? Does anyone have a clue of where the tapping comes from?

Is this normal on 1*2?

Focus RS mk1
can you not pin point in the engine bay where it is coming from? if it sounds at the top near to the cam belt side of the engine it maybe a de-phaser fault, few people on here had this problem, could you not get a video clip of this?

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
using correct oil? its pretty hot in mexico so might mean more regular oil changed required?

Does the tapping go away when you rev it a little? or does it stay tappy whilst driving still?

Renaultsport Clio 172
It only does it for 1 - 2 seconds, then it doesn't do any abnormal noice, so not many chances to pin point where it comes from. Would need someone else's help and again, not doing it all the time, and if you turn it off and fire it up again it won't do it, as said, only if being there for a while. At the moment it has 600 miles I changed the oil and not doing it at the time being, but still wonder why makes so many noises at first.

Renaultsport Clio 172
using correct oil? its pretty hot in mexico so might mean more regular oil changed required?

Does the tapping go away when you rev it a little? or does it stay tappy whilst driving still?

I am using 5w-40 synthetic, and during winter time we range from 5 to 22 Celcius. I usually change oil every 6K, which is ok, isn't it?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Lol I'd give anything for 5 degrees right now!

I used to get this on my old mondeo and was lead to believe that if the engine stood for a day or two then the lifters would drain, then they would fill back up when you started the engine but they would tap for a second or two then clear.........
Probably a load of b****cks but I believed it lol

Renaultsport Clio 172
I had the same thought about the lifters draining and old oil not fill them up quickly enough, just wondering if that means tappets or oil pump need attention, or it is normal?