ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Talk to me about brakes!

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
After having my fluid boiling over on me after 3-4 laps at bedford yesterday im looking to replace it with some higher temp fluid, any recommendations? Also how much will i need for a full flush? Same goes for braided hoses, any particular ones popular for clios? I know goodridge are normally a safe bet.

Cheers!

Last edited:

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
Standard discs and pads atm from what i can tell (all new when i got the car) but once they are dead i will replace with brembos and ds2500's

S4 Avant
If you managed to boil the fluid on standard disks and pads, I'd be amazed. I think brake fade is what you experienced. Better pads will sort this.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
that wont have helped your fluid mate, listen to fred, he will see you right.

oh and dont touch anything with EBC written on it :eek:

Honda ATR
Ive recently done braided lines on mine, used DOT 5.1 synthetic fluid and HEL lines. Used just shy of 1ltr.

Brake wise brembo HC are a safe bet. Standard pads for the road and will buy some ds2500 for the track.

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
If you managed to boil the fluid on standard disks and pads, I'd be amazed. I think brake fade is what you experienced. Better pads will sort this.

Every time i came in after doing some laps the fluid had boiled over out of the reservoir, i wiped it clean every time so it definitely wasn't a one off.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
it will boil easily on the standard pads mate.

id say:

proper stainless brake lines (be wary of the cheaper galvanised jobbies)
565H Ferodo DS2500's
Brembo HC discs
and some good spec 5.1 fluid.

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
To be fair bedford is a very quick track so i guess that didn't help. 130 on the straight and 100 in a few other places.

E46 M3
Every time i came in after doing some laps the fluid had boiled over out of the reservoir, i wiped it clean every time so it definitely wasn't a one off.

Errr...:S

When people say boiling fluid its just the fluid in the lines close to the caliper. The bubbles that form are then compressed and cause a long pedal. If you had fluid on the master cylinder its either over filled or leaking.

Lionel Richie
110mph through the piff paff ;)

stock brakes are actually bloody good, we did a full day at Donnington on them (ok we had a few "moments") but 95% of the time its down to the organic bit behind the wheel that causes the issues!

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
Errr...:S

When people say boiling fluid its just the fluid in the lines close to the caliper. The bubbles that form are then compressed and cause a long pedal. If you had fluid on the master cylinder its either over filled or leaking.

Right well i know nothing about brakes, or the problems that can occur, im only going off second hand information which sounds to be wrong? :p

I was getting the stop and handbrake warning lights flash on after heavy braking but they went out straight away...and like said already, was getting brake fluid around the top of the master cylinder

Edit: sorry out of the brake fluid reservoir, not the actual master cylinder