ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Taking Wedding Photos - Advice please?

Partner's Astra SRi
My best friends are getting married in a month's time. It's going to be a low key affair with only their closest family and friends. They have asked my other half if he'll take the photos for them.

So, he has a Canon 450D...any advice for perfect photos would be much appreciated!! What would the ideal settings be?

Thanks in advance!

Fiat Panda 100hp
Aperture mode with AUTO Iso is a good combo. Use some fast glass too, 2.8 at least. 2.8 creates the nice bokeh background. Flash too, incase it's a overcast day and for shooting indoors.

Oil Burner
Alot of it depends on the type of photos you want to take.

If you want to take shots with a shallow/deep DOF then you want to be using AV (aperture priority) to control this. However when doing this you will need to use ISO to control the shutter speed, you want to keep it fast enough not to freeze the action in the shot.

Otherwise i would use TV (shutter priority) set to a speed that will freeze the action (same speed as your lens length as a rough rule of thumb)

Best thing to improve the photos you produce is to have something to aim for. Have a look at some wedding photographer websites, find some shots you like and make a list of shots you want to achieve.

Cupra
Shoot in RAW. It give you more flexibility and room for error (assuming you know how to process RAW files).

Watch your backgrounds. Try to move people to get the best backdrop, I.e. Not too cluttered.

Don't be affraid to ask people to move, pose or group if you have been asked to take the shots. I used to take the easy way out and mostly take candid shots when at an event. I have noticed that the real "keepers" are the ones where people play for the camera. Candids are also nice to have on the side.

Wedding shoots always need to include the smaller details and not just people. A close up of the bouquet, the rings in a nice setting, decorations on tables etc. Even close ups of the smaller details on the wedding dress. Everybody might have a shot of the front if the bride, make sure you get one of the back showing her hair etc.

Just try and spot things that help create the day and take a snap, you can always do a certain amount of cropping and PP afterwards.

Good luck!

Cupra
One final tip, go to the locations prior to the big day and take some shots to get a feel for the lighting etc. You can already find some good spots for people to pose, and will then be prepared for the big day.

You can always rent an external flash or fancy lens for relatively little cash if it turns out that they are needed.

Partner's Astra SRi
Thanks everyone!

I forgot to mention, he only has the standard lens kit (18-55)...will this be a problem?

Last edited:
One final tip, go to the locations prior to the big day and take some shots to get a feel for the lighting etc. You can already find some good spots for people to pose, and will then be prepared for the big day.

Spot on. I shot my first wedding a couple of weeks ago in a small and pretty dark hotel, it was a challenge to say the least - although I visited the venue a week before to get an idea of the setting and lighting. Make sure you visit at the same time of day....i.e there is no point in turning up in the morning if you're going to be shooting mid afternoon.

I forced myself to shoot manual most of the time, the reason for this is white dresses and grey suits will be a challenge for the camera light meter and result in different exposures for the same setting / lighting if using one of the semi-automatic modes (eg. Aperture Priority / Program / Shutter Priority). I therefore would spot meter off a neutral tone, take a few test shots (chimp....) and adjust accordingly. I was also very glad to have a f2.8 image stabilised lens.

Trick is to keep an eye on the preview histogram to catch any over / under exposure.

Good luck, I found it one of the most stressful things that I've done.

182 Trophy 019/500
I've done a few weddings now and I would do as said, go look at the venue first to get an idea of lighting etc. Learn the camera so you can change settings quickly in both light and dark situations. Get a decent flash, the one build into that camera won't perform well at all. I would also hire a few lenses as the kit lens won't cut it, you want a low light performer as people have said, something around 2.8 or lower. I would aim for something like 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 and/or primes.

Shoot RAW so images can be recovered better afterwards, and as mentioned keep an eye out on the histogram!

Be prepared for the busiest, stress fullest day you will have. a 9 hour day will go VERY quickly and before you know it, it's finished and you hope you got all the images you needed as the day is just a blur.

182 Trophy 019/500
Also, you got any examples of his work so far? Just to see what his are like with the camera? For all we know he could be awesome with it and be fine with basic kit!

Partner's Astra SRi
The only pictures I've got of his using the Canon are of fireworks...a bit different to what we're talking about. However, he took this at his sister's wedding last year (not official photos like he's been asked to take next month) This was taken from his seat, over his parent's heads.
3999975349_280e29bd56.jpg

However, the wedding next month will be very very small, and like I said, low key. Registry office, no big dress, no bouquet. So no chance of checking out the venue first. Most photos will probably be candid but he might get some posed shots too.

Thanks for all the advice so far :)