ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Taking pics of the moon?

Any advise?

This was my first attempt, taken at 250mm. Wish teh moon had been lower as it would have appeared bigger!

Tips to get it sharper? Or is as good as it gets using my current set up!

4321227085_66e1314bef_b.jpg

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Remember not to go to slow on your shutter speed as the moon is moving from your cameras perspective!

Also try and get away from the city/town lights as you will get light pollution, move further out into the countryside.

On a tripod on window sill with IS off. I tried slower shutter speeds, but it was coming out far too bright and losing detail. Was AF, maybe I should of tried MF!

Cupra
Live view + zoom into the screen is really handy for checking manual focus is spot on.
(You are still on the 500D?) How did you trigger the camera? With a remote, timer or just press the button?

2 second timer, couldn't find my remote anywhere! Live view.. never thought about that! Next time! (and yeah 500D!).

ff 182
also use a filter to bring out the shadows,iv just started shooting the moon with a telescope and find the filters very good .

Cupra
You could try the longer timer too. My old tripod would take longer than 2 seconds to settle when I had a long/ heavy lens on the camera. Depends on the tripod though.

I really want to pick up a new telephoto lens ASAP as my longest is 105mm. I have just spent 2K on my car this month so the lens will have to wait. :(

Nippy white cup
I did this on Friday but had to crop and alter the contrast a little but was quite please....leant on the A pillar and wing mirror but was soo hard to keep it steady

4316555511_36c09a750b_o.jpg

Oil Burner
I would watch your shutter speed, the moon is surprisingly fast. If your doing long exposures then you will get blur from the moon.

Heres one that didnt quite work out, but still pretty pleased with.

Shot on a 40d or 50d with a non IS lens (cant remember if it was 100-300 or 70-200)

725071531_N3wU6-M.jpg

And just a plain shot.

Exif should be intact.

724467703_xLQgx-M.jpg

Nippy white cup
Nice...I love pics of it when it isn't quite full moon as the lighting of the craters has more depth

Chris