ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Taking decent photos in dim light

Suzuki Ignis Sport
How can i take decent pics of cars in a dimmish low light environment, such as a normal day today at around 8-9pm... when its not compeltely dark, but light?

I have the Olympus E-510

A4 Avant
Best way is to use a DSLR as they cope with low light better. If thats not an option then tripod is the only way really.

A4 Avant
Sorry Haz, just read and yours is a DSLR, I thought it was a bridge camera. Sorry.

You should be able to get somne decent low light shots with it. Up the ISO, use the largest aperture possible. Try and get up to about 1/30 sec shutter speed to reduce camera shake.

The 510 has an image stabilizer doesn't it? Turn that on to reduce shake further.

I have a point and shoot, and when taking pics in low light, I normally just rest it on something like a wall, or glass if in a pub, and I get pretty good shots without having to spoil them with the flash.

I have been using my newly acquired flash for some low lighting shots, works very well.... just depends what you are taking pics off!!

Plus its great for indoors and bouncing!

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Sorry Haz, just read and yours is a DSLR, I thought it was a bridge camera. Sorry.

You should be able to get somne decent low light shots with it. Up the ISO, use the largest aperture possible. Try and get up to about 1/30 sec shutter speed to reduce camera shake.

The 510 has an image stabilizer doesn't it? Turn that on to reduce shake further.

Yup 510 does have image stabiliser.

I still haven't memorised how to change the ISO and up the shutter speeds.. so i'll have to work that out.

No flash neccesary right?

I have a point and shoot, and when taking pics in low light, I normally just rest it on something like a wall, or glass if in a pub, and I get pretty good shots without having to spoil them with the flash.

Point and shoot is so much easier to use :(

To adjust both shutter and aperture at the same time you need to be in full Manual mode. This opens a whole new and experimental world!!

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Yea I normally have it on M Mode (Manual) and i do fiddle with the functions.

Is there courses where i can learn? Or is there no point?... better off teaching myself?

A4 Avant
As JJ says you'll get much better results using full manual. Have a read of the instructions, generally they are pretty well written. There are loads of courses, but Internet and manual are the only things you really need. Just get out there and practice.

I'd try not to use the built in flash, if you have an external flash then maybe experiment, but it sounds like you need to get the basics of using a DSLR nailed first.

Megane Mk4
^^ Ain't as easy as it looks though if your a complete newbie at it though, but some of the effects are truly amazing from completely manual.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
As JJ says you'll get much better results using full manual. Have a read of the instructions, generally they are pretty well written. There are loads of courses, but Internet and manual are the only things you really need. Just get out there and practice.

I'd try not to use the built in flash, if you have an external flash then maybe experiment, but it sounds like you need to get the basics of using a DSLR nailed first.

Yeah I need to nail the basics first :(

^^ Ain't as easy as it looks though if your a complete newbie at it though, but some of the effects are truly amazing from completely manual.

You're damn right here!

People make it sound so easy, but when you're a newbie, its really hard to understand when i need to do things, and where etc etc!

Practice and experimentation is the key :)

You're not wasting film so just reel them off!

One way to play with Manual is to just change one of the options from one end of its scale to the other - that way you can see what effect it has :)

1) Use a tripod or something to support your camera

or

2) By a Nikon D300 or D3, which has epic high ISO performance and could shoot through the night handheld.

Seriously though, the biggest issue is movement, as long as your camera is still you can experiment as much as you like with settings etc.

One word. Tripod.

...oh, and another three words. Long. Shutter. Speed.

Dont use a flash, that'll ruin the natural light which is what you want to capture!

1.8 Civic EX
just to repeat everyone else realy...a good shutter speed and tripod and you'll be fine. Don't worry about the ISO so much as the longer the shutter is open the more light it will let in.

I've got an Olympus DSLR too and it's dead easy, not sure if they have changed the software since mine though as I've got the e400.

As your just learning I wouldn't worry about manual mode just yet. Put it in S (shutter prioity) stick all settings on Auto and slow the shutter down so it's open for about a second. If the pic is too light then shorten the time. keep doing it until you get the desired effect.

Don't forget to use a timer too, only a short one, but this will elimiate any camera shake from pressing the shutter button

B

Brown.

Noooooiiiiiiisssssssse

lol

will have to be the sacrifice if the lad wants to hand hold :(.....spose a mono pod may look a bit less silly then a full tripod lol.....unless you wanna get a hold of them crazy hip holster's battery flash thingies

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
you can get a tripod for like 20 quid and it will improve your photography!

u will be dissapointed using a high iso compared to a tripod with a long shutterspeed...

learn to read and use your cameras light meter, also it can be tedious but learn how to use if your camera has it or learn how to bracket your shots, + and - one stop then review them on the lcd to get a good idea of what you need to do...

oh and to the r****d that said a flash will ruin your lighting you clearly dont know how to use a flash... and im not talking about the poxy pop up flashes on top of your camera as tbh you would be better off lighting a fart but a propper flash... use slow sync etc and it will improve shots and add to them... remember you dont have to fire the flash directly at the subject...

oh and to the r****d that said a flash will ruin your lighting you clearly dont know how to use a flash... and im not talking about the poxy pop up flashes on top of your camera as tbh you would be better off lighting a fart but a propper flash... use slow sync etc and it will improve shots and add to them... remember you dont have to fire the flash directly at the subject...
Good flashes are £££ though :( lol

And if you want a cheap tripod:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...cessories|9555977/Trail/searchtext>TRIPOD.htm

Mine's done me well and it's sturdy enough! The head is a bit sticky but apart from that it's worth the money if you'd only use it occasionally :)

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Tell a lie, i did get a tripod... might try it out today..

The tripod is only to make sure that the cmaera is 100% stable.. correct?

you can get a tripod for like 20 quid and it will improve your photography!

u will be dissapointed using a high iso compared to a tripod with a long shutterspeed...

learn to read and use your cameras light meter, also it can be tedious but learn how to use if your camera has it or learn how to bracket your shots, + and - one stop then review them on the lcd to get a good idea of what you need to do...

r****d????? Thanks buddy.

I choose not to use a flash in low light level shooting conditions as it can make things look a bit fake and set up, but horses for courses, depends on what you are shooting and what you are trying to achieve.

I find you can achieve much more acomplished and interesting shots without using a flash. I do have a flash set up (aside from the camera mounted one) but I dont really use it.

Clio Sport always excels at being friendly.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
lol i work as a photographer professionally, i know how to use a flash, you clearly dont, a flash can make images look alot better, you need to learn how to control and use a flash, learn to bounce and diffuse flash....