ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

System32 missing or corrupt!!!

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I was happily chatting away on CS and my laptop locked up, nothing new there tbh,
internet explorer not responding so the old end program message came up,
clicked that and it was totally locked up, after a few mins I hit the power button.

I've now got this message that says :

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt :
/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I don't have an original Windows CD-ROM, so WTF do I do now?

I'm now on someone elses laptop that's f*cked so bear with me if I keep going offline.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Not good news I'm afraid, this is why you shouldn't use the power button, but it sounds like it was a last resort.

You need to get someone who knows computers and does have a cd to help you.

You could just reinstall windows if you had the cd, I find repairs rarely work.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I've done a bit of research since it happened and you're right,
it looks like my only hope is to get a copy of XP Professional and reinstall it.

Will this have f*cked all my saved folders like photos and music, or will it still be there after it's fixed?

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Then buy a USB hard drive and back it up.

I do have a 1tb hard drive with most of my stuff on it, but about a quater of my music is on the laptop and a load of photos,
tbh I don't give a sh*t about the music or any of the rest of it,
it's the photos of me and my Mum spreading my Dads ashed up a mountain i'm worried about, that're irreplaceable.

Use the disc to boot it to command and run sfc /scannow

I don't have the disc, will any XP pro disc do, or am I f*cked?

Last edited:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
None of your data is lost if you do it right. Personally I'd do as suggested and plug the HDD into another machine, copy all you want off of it and then reformat the hard drive.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
If you need a copy pm me your address and I'll pop one in the post.

Just the media though, no code.

If I can't find mine or know anyone that has one i'll let you know mate, much appreciated.

None of your data is lost if you do it right. Personally I'd do as suggested and plug the HDD into another machine, copy all you want off of it and then reformat the hard drive.

Ok sounds like a plan, luckilly I work next door to a computer repair shop so i'll see if they can help me out,
as tbh I have no clue how to do this. lol

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Not live near any tech savvy members???

VERY easy stuff for anyone that knows anything about computers. Really not difficult.

If you decide to do it at the computer shop, give them your external drive... (with a decent amount of space on it).

Tell them you want them to plug your computers HDD into another machine, and then copy the documents on it (you can define what folders) onto your external drive.

You then want them to put a new blank OS on the internal drive and put it back into your machine.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
That's a thought, I think I know one that was training as a Windows techie the last time I spoke to him.
I'll give him a shout tomorrow, along with everyone else I know just in case. lol