ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Switchable ECU maps

Clio 182 FF
Is there any way of having switchable maps on your ECU or easily loading different ones on, ie. with a similar set up to the SPS system Revo Technik use.

The reason I am asking is that I like the sound of a pops and bangs map but couldn't deal with it all the time.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I should think henk would be able to modify the software to allow the pops and bangs side to be turned on and off. That's only a timing and fuelling tweak on over run.

But it as it only happens at zero throttle at high rpm it's not like it triggers when pottering about.

Bad idea reliability wise to have it at all though.

Clio 182 FF
Ooo maybe that doesn't sound so bad, what do you mean by zero throttle. And who is henk that I would contact. Is that a user name.
Also on another note. If I bought an RSTuner and it came with the pops and bangs map, would I get the other one free?

Have a search through the RS-tuner threads on here. All the info you need is there, plus no freebies and don't share maps from the seller of the rstuner.

Basically it will only pop if you let off a 4000rpm. In normal driving conditions you never will reach this kind of rpm anyway. However if you have a cat you will kill it.

Others complain about 'bore wash' but I can't see an issue myself, it only injects a tiny bit more fuel, and it's not like anyone is going to go around constantly making their car pop!

Clio 182 FF
I have had a look about on the threads but can't find much about switching between maps. What I was thinking was to get an RSTuner and keep hold of it. I would by both p&b map and standard 98ron map then would I be able to switch between the two without having to buy new ones each time? Can't find a definitive answer to this.

I have had a look about on the threads but can't find much about switching between maps. What I was thinking was to get an RSTuner and keep hold of it. I would by both p&b map and standard 98ron map then would I be able to switch between the two without having to buy new ones each time? Can't find a definitive answer to this.

Yes, but not at the flick of a button. Will need to use your laptop.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ooo maybe that doesn't sound so bad, what do you mean by zero throttle.

I mean that the only time it pops and bangs are when you back off the throttle at high rpm.

So drive along accelerating and it does nothing in the way of popping and banging, then either as you let off to change gear it pops slightly or if you back right off and just let the engine slow the car down slightly at high rpm it will pop and bang a lot.

And who is henk that I would contact. Is that a user name.
The guy who owns fastchip.nl who make the RSTuner

Also on another note. If I bought an RSTuner and it came with the pops and bangs map, would I get the other one free?
You need to buy the rstuner and then buy a license and map for it. although you might get lucky if the person selling has the right map for you, you will still need a license.

Clio 182 FF
Right but if it didnt have a map on would I have to buy the p&b 98ron map and the std 98ron map or would I get the std (non p&b) 98ron map when i bought the p&b map?

Thanks for the help guys!!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Right but if it didnt have a map on would I have to buy the p&b 98ron map and the std 98ron map or would I get the std (non p&b) 98ron map when i bought the p&b map?

Thanks for the help guys!!

The Rs tuner never "has a map on" mate, you put the map on your laptop then use the RS Tuner to write it.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
as above, you would have to but the unit (either new with licence, or second hand then buy a licence from fastchips) and then buy both maps as well. or the second hand unit may come with the map/maps you need

Clio 182 FF
It would make sense that the map is on the computer and not on the rstuner. How would the rstuner come with a map on it (@Coops Turbo)

Some second hand units come with a file that the seller emails to the buyer. But i advise you don't use them.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you know you have a good battery and its fully charged you are likely to be ok, but still not ideal!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Certainly not something you can do on the go, lol
And personally I would only recommend doing when on an external power supply too.

Like McGherkin said, I used to swap my maps over whilst out and about without issues (when I had the decat on). As your only writing a cal with the RStuner, a power supply isn't needed on the 182, especially considering the car has just been running (provided the laptop battery is over 50%) and the fact the cal only takes about a minute to write.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What was it about fitting 2 ecu's and then changing over some of the wires on a switch again?

You'd have to change a lot of the wires, TBH if you were going to that sort of trouble, you would be better off just fitting aftermarket and having far more control really.

Its a hell of a lot of hassle to go to just for a few silly pops and bangs!

You'd have to change a lot of the wires, TBH if you were going to that sort of trouble, you would be better off just fitting aftermarket and having far more control really.

Its a hell of a lot of hassle to go to just for a few silly pops and bangs!

Especially considering the fact they only happen when you're pushing for them.

Don't want them all the time the just don't go revving up to 4k then letting off!

so you change maps on the go?? rstuner won't let you write a cal etc until the coolant is below 50 degrees.!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
so you change maps on the go?? rstuner won't let you write a cal etc until the coolant is below 50 degrees.!

cant say I have ever come across this as of yet but it is supposed to. McGherkin & Ed.200 will confirm that i switch to p&b mid was through a drive, then we had a fairly long and hard drive and switched back to the normal map in a layby (p&b was getting a bit annoying as it sound like shotgun on my car). Maybe its only for when writing the whole ECU file (and not just the cal)?

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
If you really want to you could do switchable maps in the oe ecu by planting an eeprom on top of the original after you have programmed the complete original flash on that one too.

disconnect the ground of each eeprom and connect them with a switch.

it's dirty but it's possible and a hell of a lot easier than fitting 2 ecu's

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
can the rs tuner data log the info whilst driving so a custom map can be made/tweaked from the info?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
can the rs tuner data log the info whilst driving so a custom map can be made/tweaked from the info?

Yes if you have one with a lambda sensor input into it.
(a wideband I mean, the standard narrowbands are no use for this)

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
If you really want to you could do switchable maps in the oe ecu by planting an eeprom on top of the original after you have programmed the complete original flash on that one too.

disconnect the ground of each eeprom and connect them with a switch.

it's dirty but it's possible and a hell of a lot easier than fitting 2 ecu's

Sorry not such a wiz with coding, can you break this down into layman's terms a bit please.

basically adding a parallel data store that can be manually switched to.

I'm not that familiar with ECU implementations, but I would have thought that this approach would required the ECU to be powered down so it could re-initialize? else the mcu program/memory pointer will be reading data from the wrong block and fail c**til restarted)? If so, then who far do you have to go to restart the ecu, is it a battery disconnect jobby? not ideal if so...