ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Swapping wheels around

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Have to switch them around to even up the wear so they all need replacing at the same time because Renault imports Clio Sports cars into this country (Australia), but Michelin doesn't consider there's a big enough market for the tyre it uses, so they don't import them, so you can't buy identical replacements when they get punctured (like one of mine did) or they wear out.

And with stuff like traction control and ESP on it looking for even small differences in wheel rotational speeds I'm a bit worried that even identical sized tyres from other manufactures might be sufficiently different in rolling diameter to cause problems.

Thanks for the replies everyone.......:)

So assuming its a "Good" idea to swap fronts to back, do you go corner to opposite corner or keep the tyres on the same side?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Depends if the tyre's directional or not.

Standard Conti's (on the Cup) have an edge that always has to be on the outside, so I can swap front to back or left to right at will.

If the tyres are directional, you'd need to get the tyre turned on the rim before swapping sides or it'll rotate the wrong way.

MarkCup said:
Depends if the tyre's directional or not.

Standard Conti's (on the Cup) have an edge that always has to be on the outside, so I can swap front to back or left to right at will.

If the tyres are directional, you'd need to get the tyre turned on the rim before swapping sides or it'll rotate the wrong way.

Good point that mate....not thought of that:approve:

White Van Man
If you're driving in the wet, and you get your braking done before you turn in, which I believe is the generally approved way of doing things, then the standing water will have been cleared by the fronts, and the issue of tread depth is irrelevant. If you're driving in the dry, then I think you'll agree that a tyre with as little tread as possible will give maximum grip, the grip on tarmac comes from the amount of rubber in contact with the road, not the gaps in the tread, (slicks anyone ? ) Best tyres on the front where the braking, propulsion and most importantly steering are done.

Last edited:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Fatboy_fat said:
If you're driving in the wet, and you get your braking done before you turn in, which I believe is the generally approved way of doing things, then the standing water will have been cleared by the fronts, and the issue of tread depth is irrelevant. If you're driving in the dry, then I think you'll agree that a tyre with as little tread as possible will give maximum grip, the grip on tarmac comes from the amount of rubber in contact with the road, not the gaps in the tread, (slicks anyone ? ) Best tyres on the front where the braking, propulsion and most importantly steering are done.

What about this scenario ??

You drive round a blind bend , not excessive speeds the road is national speed limit straight off a roundabout , you follow the road round to be confronted by a queue of traffic , quite a tight bend , you have to brake hard or your up the stationary cars ass . The road is wet , as you brake hard the back end slides round wanting to pass your front end .
All because the back tyres are worn down ,not illegal i might add .
If your back tyres have little tread they can't disperse the water as well as tyres with good treads .
New tyres on the back , older tyres to the front " always " .

MrBillyUK !

White Van Man
MRBILLYUK said:

You drive round a blind bend , not excessive speeds the road is national speed limit straight off a roundabout , you follow the road round to be confronted by a queue of traffic , quite a tight bend , you have to brake hard or your up the stationary cars ass . The road is wet , as you brake hard the back end slides round wanting to pass your front end .
If your back tyres have little tread they can't disperse the water as well as tyres with good treads .

MrBillyUK !

I can see your point, but I'm sure you'll agree that this scenario would not (hopefully !) occur on a regular basis, and for the majority of your driving you would be relying on the grip from the fronts. I agree that short wheelbase hatches can become twitchy at the back, but I would still say that you need the maximum amount of traction at the front, because ultimately, what happens if the back lets go, you have to control that slide with steering input. Which wheels do the steering ?

White Van Man
MRBILLYUK said:
I hope this puts and end to this debate .

If Pirelli recommend this its good enough for me .

http://www.pirelli.co.uk/en_GB/tyres/car_suv/utility_services/tech/tech4_gb.jhtml

End of !

MrBillyUK !

Awwww c'mon, that's a cop out. All tyre manufacturers want you to stick the dodgy ones on the front 'cos then you'll wear them out quicker and have to buy more new ones ! Got to go and watch some pants film with her indoors now, I'll be back soon to continue this debate !

not the End Of !

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Fatboy_fat said:
Awwww c'mon, that's a cop out. All tyre manufacturers want you to stick the dodgy ones on the front 'cos then you'll wear them out quicker and have to buy more new ones ! Got to go and watch some pants film with her indoors now, I'll be back soon to continue this debate !

not the End Of !

End of as far as i'm concerned mate .

If you was some spotty little teenager with a poxy little chaved up saxo i'd understand your lack of belief in one of the top tyre manufacturers in the world , but seeing your a bloke of more mature years i'm quite amazed that you still think you know better .

As to the tyre manufacturers selling more tyres using this method it actually has the opposite effect .
Putting your new on the back , moving the back to the front extends the period before you need to change your tyres . Try it , you might like it :)

Enjoy your film mate . I'm crackin' a few tins of the Black stuff and puttin' my feet up for a while .

END OF ;)

MrBillyUK !

White Van Man
MRBILLYUK said:
End of as far as i'm concerned mate .

If you was some spotty little teenager with a poxy little chaved up saxo i'd understand your lack of belief in one of the top tyre manufacturers in the world , but seeing your a bloke of more mature years i'm quite amazed that you still think you know better .

As to the tyre manufacturers selling more tyres using this method it actually has the opposite effect .
Putting your new on the back , moving the back to the front extends the period before you need to change your tyres . Try it , you might like it :)

Enjoy your film mate . I'm crackin' a few tins of the Black stuff and puttin' my feet up for a while .

END OF ;)

MrBillyUK !

The films sh*te, memoirs of some Jap tart or summat, so I'm back for a chat ! I've given this some deep thought, inbetween tins, and I really can't understand how putting the new ones on the back extends tyre life ? What's your average front mileage, 10-14,000, and the rears 40-50,000. The only benefit I can see is not having to change the rears because of perishing due to age !
Is that the real black stuff, or the plastic stuff we get over here !

p.s. I still get spots on my ars* if that counts, but that could just be my hygene :rasp:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Fatboy_fat said:
The films sh*te, memoirs of some Jap tart or summat, so I'm back for a chat ! I've given this some deep thought, inbetween tins, and I really can't understand how putting the new ones on the back extends tyre life ? What's your average front mileage, 10-14,000, and the rears 40-50,000. The only benefit I can see is not having to change the rears because of perishing due to age !
Is that the real black stuff, or the plastic stuff we get over here !

p.s. I still get spots on my ars* if that counts, but that could just be my hygene :rasp:

We have soap here in England ,lol, give me ur addy and i'll send ya some ;)

For a start , not sure of the life of the exaltos cos i've only just got the 182 just over 2 weeks ago .
On my old 172 i used to put the new ones on the back ( toyos ) , the old ones on the front and i would say i got about about 15 - 16 k on one set , compared to the original contis on the front , they lasted 7.5k :eek:

What a big difference the exaltos make compared to the toyo t1-rs and t1-s's . Miles more grip , feels more sure footed on the road especially round bends . Plus its got cup suspension .

All Guinness is brewed in Dublin , none of that brewed under licence in the UK b*llocks anymore . Never been over the water to try it so i can't compare , as long as it goes down nice n smooth i'm a happy chappy :)

MrBillyUK !

White Van Man
omar said:
I did a regular rotation on my Meggy 225.

I got 20k out of a set of tyres... so it must have worked!

But then you have to change four, instead of two. Given the average life of the fronts with 225 bhp, I'm guessing here , 12,000 miles or so. If you'd just changed the fronts, you would have got to 24,000 instead of 20.000 for the same cost, and the rears would still have loads of life left. It might just be my lager addled brain, but the maths just don't add up for me...

White Van Man
MRBILLYUK said:
We have soap here in England ,lol, give me ur addy and i'll send ya some ;)

For a start , not sure of the life of the exaltos cos i've only just got the 182 just over 2 weeks ago .
On my old 172 i used to put the new ones on the back ( toyos ) , the old ones on the front and i would say i got about about 15 - 16 k on one set , compared to the original contis on the front , they lasted 7.5k :eek:

What a big difference the exaltos make compared to the toyo t1-rs and t1-s's . Miles more grip , feels more sure footed on the road especially round bends . Plus its got cup suspension .

All Guinness is brewed in Dublin , none of that brewed under licence in the UK b*llocks anymore . Never been over the water to try it so i can't compare , as long as it goes down nice n smooth i'm a happy chappy :)

MrBillyUK !

Used to hate Guiness over here. Went to Dublin a little while back, so I thought I'd better try just the one to say I'd been there, OH MY GOD, what a drink, so smooth. Had a lager in one boozer and it felt so harsh I thoght my throat was bleeding ! So much better with water from the Liffy ! Mind you, my sh*t was black for a week after I'd got home !

P.s. What's soap ?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Fatboy_fat said:
Used to hate Guiness over here. Went to Dublin a little while back, so I thought I'd better try just the one to say I'd been there, OH MY GOD, what a drink, so smooth. Had a lager in one boozer and it felt so harsh I thoght my throat was bleeding ! So much better with water from the Liffy ! Mind you, my sh*t was black for a week after I'd got home !

P.s. What's soap ?

http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Science/Question164800.html

Get yourself some of this . Rub it on the back of a sheep to you get a nice lather then you straddle the sheep and slap its ass so it moves about abit .
Result = ass washed ,lol ;)

White Van Man
MRBILLYUK said:
http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Science/Question164800.html

Get yourself some of this . Rub it on the back of a sheep to you get a nice lather then you straddle the sheep and slap its ass so it moves about abit .
Result = ass washed ,lol ;)

I hope that's not a generic Welsh sheepsh*gger line :rasp: , 'cos you forgot to mention the wellies. As I tell everone I meet, women are ok, but you can't beat the real thing. At least they don't want you to watch some arty Jap film with them......

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Fatboy_fat said:
I hope that's not a generic Welsh sheepsh*gger line :rasp: , 'cos you forgot to mention the wellies. As I tell everone I meet, women are ok, but you can't beat the real thing. At least they don't want you to watch some arty Jap film with them......

Nothin wrong with asian arty films , i have a few myself ,lol ;)

You can leave you wellies on but whilst you've got the sheep at your disposal might be a good idea to leave em off and wash your feet at the same time .

Feet up time for me now mate .

Tommy walsh is on . Nice bit of banter anyway .

Glad you came round to my way of thinkin about the tyres ;)

MrBillyUK !

White Van Man
Tommy's a legend in my book, anyone who can work with Charlie Dimmock and not stare at THEM, must be strong ! I haven't come around to your beliefs just yet, this may continue.....Catch you later mate

182cup/D40/Hornet
I've always switched them round,just done mine a month ago(about 7k)gives you a chance to have a good look at the condition of all the tyres/wheels;)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
MRBILLYUK said:

MrBillyUK !

Of course, you could always try driving at a speed where you can comfortably pull up to a complete stop on your side of the carriageway within the distance you can see to be clear.

Or stick with flying round bends in the wet without knowing or anticipating what problems might lay ahead?

Interesting link to the Pirelli site though...I say they're all wrong ;)

***runs***

Clio 197
Fatboy_fat said:
But then you have to change four, instead of two. Given the average life of the fronts with 225 bhp, I'm guessing here , 12,000 miles or so. If you'd just changed the fronts, you would have got to 24,000 instead of 20.000 for the same cost, and the rears would still have loads of life left. It might just be my lager addled brain, but the maths just don't add up for me...

In theory yes... but the original chassis setup gives very uneven tyre wear.

So, the rears would have worn-out on the insides after 12k anyway. :eek:

I've not been rotating them on the 182 - because I'm getting perfectly even tyre wear - excellent setup.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
MarkCup said:
Of course, you could always try driving at a speed where you can comfortably pull up to a complete stop on your side of the carriageway within the distance you can see to be clear.

Or stick with flying round bends in the wet without knowing or anticipating what problems might lay ahead?

Interesting link to the Pirelli site though...I say they're all wrong ;)

***runs***

Its a good forum this usually !

Some people know " sh*t loads " others just know " loads of sh*t " :clap:

End of , outta here to pick my new wheel up :p

MrBillyUK !

never never swap back to front. The tyre footprint will be very different because of the fixed angles. Also as a front wheel drive you need all the grip at the front (Duh, needed to actually bring the car to a stop). If you find your car with it's arse out, you have been far too agresive into the bend and had to lift off to oversteer. This only unsettles the car and means you are too agressive without the ability to control. (of course, feel welcome to, unless other road users mean nought)

Even on a track no understeer or oversteer will mean faster times.

Why would anyone want the car to go sideways in any way as it looses forward motion.

I've had to investigate too many fatacs with boys with this kind of attitude wrapping their cars round a post, or any other fixed object.

Leave the rears alone until they are in need of replacement. The fronts do the work and will be far better for that.

Take care

Blaze

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
blaze said:
never never swap back to front. The tyre footprint will be very different because of the fixed angles. Also as a front wheel drive you need all the grip at the front (Duh, needed to actually bring the car to a stop). If you find your car with it's arse out, you have been far too agresive into the bend and had to lift off to oversteer. This only unsettles the car and means you are too agressive without the ability to control. (of course, feel welcome to, unless other road users mean nought)

Even on a track no understeer or oversteer will mean faster times.

Why would anyone want the car to go sideways in any way as it looses forward motion.

I've had to investigate too many fatacs with boys with this kind of attitude wrapping their cars round a post, or any other fixed object.

Leave the rears alone until they are in need of replacement. The fronts do the work and will be far better for that.

Take care

Blaze

^^^^^^ SORRY MATE YOUR WRONG ^^^^^^

Ass and talking out of springs to mind ;)

http://www.pirelli.co.uk/en_GB/tyre...4_gb.jhtml;jsessionid=JKXK2HWLTE0APFYKJO4SFEY

^^^^^^ INVESTIGATE THAT ^^^^^^

MrBillyUK !