ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Swapping sky hd box to sky +HD

M135i
I've recently got sky multiroom in the bedroom, which they installed just there standard sky HD box.

ive looked on eBay and you can get a second hand sky + HD box for around £40 posted. So is it a direct swap over ? Also they said rather than hook it up to a telephone line they now use these little boxes which he plugged in but doesn't seem to do anything and from a quick read it it's not needed with a sky HD box ?

IIRC multiroom call backs can't be done over the internet with a wireless box so you still need the phoneline for them.

If you swap the box you'll also need to phone up to get your card paired to the new box.

E46 M3 + Ph1 172
What Paprika said, ive done the exact thing you want to do...
But I had a phone line there anyway,

I had to enter the settings of the box and change it to receive 2 inputs, otherwise you can only watch 1 channel and cant record..
Easy to do mind...

M135i
Well when the guy installed sky he added an extra input which isn't being used at the moment but it's there ready to be used.

So the only problem will be the wireless box won't work and I'll need a phone line ? If so what's the point In that wireless box as ATM it's not doing anything and hasn't been setup or anything ?

Phoneline is to prove the box is at your address. If they can't reach the box through your phone number then multiroom discount is removed and you pay full package price for that box.

M135i
Phoneline is to prove the box is at your address. If they can't reach the box through your phone number then multiroom discount is removed and you pay full package price for that box.

Should there be any lights on the mini wireless connector box, as there isn't ?

Just read on sky's website that it's not compatible with just a sky Hd box which I have so can I just disconnect it ?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
The wireless box is to connect the box to the internet. Its so your box can get on demand stuff even if its not right next to your router.

the new boxes come with wifi so don't need them.

as for phone lines I was under the impression they can be verified via the internet now sO don't need to be plugged in at all. I know mine isn't as I don't even have a phone line. Not sure about multi room though

M135i
So it's nothing to do with the phone line connection ? In that case the installer hasn't done anything to ensure there is a phone line connection.

edit: just seen Jaff's post. Might explain a lot then :)

The wireless box is to connect the box to the internet. Its so your box can get on demand stuff even if its not right next to your router.

the new boxes come with wifi so don't need them.

as for phone lines I was under the impression they can be verified via the internet now sO don't need to be plugged in at all. I know mine isn't as I don't even have a phone line. Not sure about multi room though

Multiroom can't be verified by wireless box. It seems installers don't understand this either and whack the wireless box in as an easy get out of running a phone extension cable.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Best ringing them up and asking about the phone line and multi room situation.

be sure to mention they will both be connected to your internet and see if they say it doesn't need a phone line connection.