ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

swap for a 197???

Meg 225 Trophy 0482
went to my local renault garage tonight to look at the R26 megane in liquid yellow and ended up falling even more in love with the 197...!!! i have loved it from the minute it came out, and even more so now. sitting in it makes the car feel such a powerful car, and it seems to have lots of pressence on the road. thing is, i have a megane 225 trophy and i am SERIOUSLY considering swapping it for a 197....... pure madness?

are they good cars? what are they like to drive? fast? tuneable?

thanks peeps.

fast and tuneable are not associated with a 197.

For the love of god don't change your 225 for one.

However the interior and handling are supposed to be good on them.

Last edited:
  Turbos.
Depends what you like out of a car.

The Clio has the nicer interior, and is pretty pratical now it's grown so much. I've tried to like the Megane, and it is a good car, but after driving it i was left pretty flat with the handling. The 197 has a special chassis for what is a £15k hatch back.

NEED V6!
I Would'nt get one stick with your meggy, very bad Idea they look plain horrid to:dapprove: , you do need therapy.

PS 197 is the slowest RS built since 2000, so i don't get your thinking. Wait until they bring the cup version out then we can discuss hte matter.

Golf R soon...
Your mad ;)

I think they are trying to appeal to a more broader age range with the 197 with all the comfort and refinement. Don't get my wrong its a brillant car, I just couldn't part with £16k that easily :D

Saying that if you look on the net you can find 197's brand new for sub 14k.

Just my two cents.

Daz

Meg 225 Trophy 0482
bmnc have them for 13k... i'm hoping to test drive one soon... that should make my mind up for me. :)

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
the slowest RS clio was the mk2 172 but nevermind we can skip over that if you like ;)

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
my thoughts on the 197 from a previous thread, i have done just over 2k now and the mpg has improved slightly.. but not a lot lol!

Thought i'd give the 197 a few miles before i gave my thoughts on it.

Done about 800 miles now so it has had a few redlines under its bonnet so far!

problems so far:

Had the rear brakes making a loud noise under very light braking at stop start speed. having checked the RS forum this was quite common and went after a few hundred miles. This problem has now gone.

had a flat tyre 3 days after buying her... that was annoying but i got a new tyre for £105 fitted so wasn't too bad. sadly i couldn't getit repaired... nevermind.

apart from that no other problems... so far... (i am wating for the long list i had with my 182!)

good things:

engine noise - it makes such a lovely noise at low revs and sounds really throaty at around 3.5k when you tickle her. Let alone the noise up to the rev limiter! great stuff.

grip - it has immense levels of grip. There is a corner i used to go round with my 182 and it felt twitchy at 60mph. the 197 feels so much more stable and it happily went round at 60mph. i reckon it would go round at 70.. but i haven't had the balls yet to try it!

gearbox - lovely smooth quick gearchange. and it is nice to have a normal gearknob unlike astra vxr etc i tried as they felt odd to hold.

performance - feels quick to me and pulls very well in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. 5th and 6th it begins to slow down but by then i see how quickly i am going! the 197 needs to be driven hard and revved to get the most out of it but that is how i like it! Having read peoples views on the RS forum who have covered 6k the engine does begin to pull better lower down so i will look forward to that.

keyless entry - really nice touch. makes getting in the car whislt holding all my shopping a lot easier. took me a while to get used to it though! keep reaching for the key in the ignition!!

seats - so snug and have a nice fit.

gearlight - in a more prominent postion and is bigger and i find it a great dela easier to see.

bad things:

fuel economy - it is absolute s**te at present. doing about 26mpg. That is with crusing to work for a 15 mile motorway drive at around 90mph. I did get it to manage 31mpg on a crusie for 30 miles at 70mph... hopefully this will improve a bit. If you drive it hard you get easily below 20mpg! eek! (too much fun!!)

wheels - look too small inside the wheel arches but maybe if it was lower it would improve things.

too big! - for cleaning that is!! takes longer than the 182!

revvy - although the 6 speed boxc makes ragging the tits off her great, it makes for high revs on a motorway crusie in 6th... can be annoying!

at present thats all i can think of at the moment for the bad things.

overall i am exceptionally happy with the 197. It is quicker than i remembered and i enjoy the nice smooth power that is consistent and goes right up to the redline. lovely. it is slightly bigger than my previous car and feels slightly more refined. Thisis exactly what i wanted in my new car.

I have tried to not compare the 197 with the 182 but i will do as it has and will be continued to be compared....

For me the 197 improves on all the things that annoyed me on the 182. It is definetely built better, it has a more consistent power delivery and the seating postion is soooo much better. Having said thatthe 182 is such a delight for a xcountry blast. the 182 is so nimble and light it is such good fun. having driven the 197 over the same roads it obviously feels bigger but to me, it still handles fantastically and altohugh you don't feel as if your going as fast you look down and see the 3 figure speeds your at! it really is startling.

Am i pleased i changed? hell yeah, the 197 is a f**king sweet motor. i love it to bits.
sad i got rid of the 182? yeah, the last of the ture small pocket rockets, but the 197 moves the game on nicley for me.

I could probably write a lot more, but i tried to keep it brief! sorry!

the full report and comments

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
My nearest garage has a couple of 197's for sale and i really liked the look of the black one they had for sale, untill i looked over into the showroom, and saw a liquid yellow R26 Meg. Imo the Megane R26 is a far better looking car.

LY V6 with Recaros
I'd stick with the 225, had a drive of one over the weekend, and felt so much better and faster that the 197. I think the 197 looks boring too, but that's just my opinion :)

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Depends what you like out of a car.

The Clio has the nicer interior, and is pretty pratical now it's grown so much. I've tried to like the Megane, and it is a good car, but after driving it i was left pretty flat with the handling. The 197 has a special chassis for what is a £15k hatch back.

whilst I agree in comparison to the older Meganes interior, I disagree with that in comparison to the latest Meganes, they are just the same, if not better than the 197 IMHO.

Leon Cupra R 225
Just looking at the pics of Gareth's meg should make anyone realise that the 197 doesn't come close for looks