ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspension / Top mounts help

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
im well aware there are a million threads on top mounts but i need some advice.

the 182 is currently in the garage and im expecting them to come back and say the top mounts need replacing.

the well know issue with the 182 that when you put full steering lock on the banging noise, is this a top mount issue? im keen to get rid of this issue, but if i get standard renault replacement top mounts will it solve this issue as have they been updated? or am i going to need to replace them with another brand?

any recommendations, dont want to spend loads as im pretty poor at the moment.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
yep garage have said replace the top mount on passenger side, but ill do both driver and passenger.

what are my options? are there any better mounts out there, why are they better and how much are they?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
thanks just the sort of advice im after

next question is, do you need any special tools to fit your self?

172 cup
I have pms top mount and think they are great even on the road. However they do cost more than standard and are a little harsher.

Tool wise, an Allen key or bit to hold the top of the strut. An offset ring spanner 22mm and a few 19mm(I think) spamers and spring compressors to be safe.

Many.
No need for spring compressors, just a buzz gun ideally. I'll happily offer my help.

Get the updated Renault items, Adam at Wolverhampton will be able to tell you what you need.

I have PMS Solid top mounts and don't rate them for road use.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
thanks for the kind offer, where in Essex are you?

why a buzz gun? what is a buzz gun lol

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
oh yeah Braintree, I don't have am impact gun. just normal socket sets and spanners etc...

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
just been doing some looking into replacement top mounts, theres lots of talk about solid mounts. what are solid mounts? are original Renault ones not solid? if not then whats the difference?

Many.
Solid top mounts remove all the rubber (theres a big rubber disc on standard) and just replace with a bearing. I have PMS solids on mine, but I don't think I'd put them on another non-track car. Stick with standards.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Why don't the new ones look anything like the existing?

DSC_0886_zpsvz8x2vcb.jpg