ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspension top mount: What have I done wrong?

Hello All,

I tried solving a knocking noise by changing the top mount of the driver side suspension, but I think i have done somethin wrong as there is a big gap between the top hat and the body.
Side with no Knocking:
2015-03-11%2014.49.31_zpsl6fxbt72.jpg

New Item and still knocking:
2015-03-11%2014.49.21_zpsy3f67qdx.jpg

The diference is pretty obvious. I have taken it apart both sides to compare and they look the same next to each other. I have to say the new item is not OEM but MAPCO and that I have reused the sleve and nut and have not used the new updated design by renault as my other side has the old one and there is no knocking. Also there is a gap between the body and the rubber "doughnut" in the old one and there is no gap on the new one. I would appleciate some help on this as I am not driving the car until this is solved.

Thanks in advance

looks like the bearing is missing to me :/

Order should be... Top spring plate, bearing, rubber donut, spacer, skinny nut.

Thanks, why do you say that the bearing is missing? any indication for that?. I am sure that I have not missed the bearing, but I might have put it the wrong way round, but seems unlikely as I did both sides at the same time

if the bearing wasn't there the rubber donut would be sitting on the upper spring plate, which would push the spacer 8-10mm up through the donut (as can be seen in your pic).

It would also cause knocking when turning as the spring will be bouncing around in the spring plate, as it won't be able to turn freely without the bearing.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Check out the guides section - see Fubar guides for changing a spring as it shows you the order to put the top mount all back together. Either the part was wrong or you have done it wrong, at least you can check if you have done it wrong by following the guide. Also, you should have done both sides - always change suspension parts as axle pairs.

if the bearing wasn't there the rubber donut would be sitting on the upper spring plate, which would push the spacer 8-10mm up through the donut (as can be seen in your pic).

It would also cause knocking when turning as the spring will be bouncing around in the spring plate, as it won't be able to turn freely without the bearing.

Ok, I get it, but it was not that. I took the suspension out again and check it, and the bearing was there. The problem is that the doughnut that mapco provided was really weaker than the renault one and as such the doughnut was touching the body
2015-03-05%2019.02.22_zpsmdp3jl45.jpg

as opose to the other one:
2015-03-05%2019.02.40_zpsqbzlvgfa.jpg

I change the doughnut back to the original renault one and the height problem has been solved, but the knocking is still there unfortunatelly... Any ideas? it is only when going over bumps...

Check out the guides section - see Fubar guides for changing a spring as it shows you the order to put the top mount all back together. Either the part was wrong or you have done it wrong, at least you can check if you have done it wrong by following the guide. Also, you should have done both sides - always change suspension parts as axle pairs.

I did follow that specific guide and as you have pointed out the parts that I got are of a lower quality than the renault ones...

I know I should have changed both sides, but I am trying to find a knocking I have in the suspension on the drivers side, that I don´t have on the passenger side so first I want to find what is actually wrong... but I will buy the bearing alone and change it on the other side anyway as it wasn´t in its best moment...

Thank you both for your help!