ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspension Refresh

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
Hi guys

I’m going to re do the suspension on my 172 cup soon. I’ve got new front shocks to go on, rear shocks we’re changed not long ago and are still in decent condition. Got a set of cooksports coming next week as well, and I’m going to get some new top mounts (undecided on OEM or solid)

I’m unsure whether to change the wishbones or not, would I get away with just changing the bushes and ball joints and cleaning up my current wishbones or just go for a new pair? From what I can see my current ones just have a bit of surface rust on them. From what I understand the only available wishbones are slightly different to the original 172 cup ones?

I was also going to change my front ARB with new bushes but I can’t find a new one anywhere.

Is there anything else worth changing while
I’m on, or anything to look out for/advice for when I get started?

Cheers!

Would just get new ones instead of replacing the bushes, come with ball joints as well. They are increased positive caster which will improve over the older ones, not sure if its a dramatic difference though. Also only go oem for them as the ones listed on ebay for a 1*2 wont be right

You mean a whole new arb? Dont think you can unless renault still have some

You could look at bump steer tie ends, new inner tie ends as well and steering rack bushes. Solid top mounts I would consider over oem, I have them with coilovers and they are adjustable, theres no clunking and the front end feels stable, I put on ast coilovers and the ride was actually smoother over small bumps than with eibach springs with oem mounts. Although Id feel more inclined to put in solid mounts with coilovers rather than those cooksports, it would improve things never the less.

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
Cheers @ZachB

Yeah I was going to get OEM wishbones. Seen the ones on eBay for £30 for a pair, would rather they didn’t snap when I’m going round a corner.

Was only going to change the ARB because my other one looks a bit tatty, but it’s still perfectly functional.

I’ll look into solid mounts. Depends how far my budget will stretch

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Inner tie rods are definitely worth doing if not been replaced before. You can rebush the oem track control arms cheap and easy enough if you want to spend the time doing them.

monaco 172
I'd 100% not recommend polybushing the wishbones, buy genuine with ball joint and bushings.

I've got powerflexes in my wishbones and they are creaky as hell and the car feels the same as it did before but with added creaks, does my head in

dan's cast offs.
If everything else is fine then no reason why powerflex arm bushes would have a negative effect.

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
@imprezaworks no I’m not doing many miles in it, it’s just turned into a weekend toy now and the occasional commute to work when the daily has no fuel in it.

I’ll look into inner tie rods, I don’t think they’ve been replaced.

Just going to bit the bullet and get new wishbones

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I'm running black series powerflex wishbone bushes and they dont creak or squeak at all?

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
Finally got all the parts to get on with this now, had a look yesterday to see what I've got to contend with...The bolts that join the shock to the hub don't look great, anyone know if you can still get these anywhere, or worth swapping the top 2 for camber bolts?

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
Ok, so apparently they are still available, but they're £10 each, any know if other bolts of the same size will do the job?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Whats up with the current bolts ? They are pretty heavy duty. If heavily rusted wire brush and good application of plus gas before removal.

As mentioned don't bother with poly bushes for the wishbones, they do naff all. Steering rack bushes is a good idea whilst your at it.

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
Whats up with the current bolts ? They are pretty heavy duty. If heavily rusted wire brush and good application of plus gas before removal.

Just from having a quick look yesterday, they look like they would snap if i tried to take them out, the nuts look pretty bad as well, but I can give them a go.

As mentioned don't bother with poly bushes for the wishbones, they do naff all. Steering rack bushes is a good idea whilst your at it.

Nah I've just bought new wishbones, and got polybushes for my ARB as my current ones are pretty shot