ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspension or sticky tyres. Which first?

Clio 172 ph2
What would you do with £600?

My ph2 172 track/weekend car needs some improving before the summer trackday season but I just cant decide what should come first. Its a good allround car with eibach springs on standard shocks, RARB, camber bolts and Continental sport contact 3's.

Ive narrowed my options down to:

1. 888's/A048's for my 16's and put the contact 3's back on in the autumn. (will take the kids to school the odd day but no more than 1k miles over 6 months, do 888's wear out fast on the road? I have a family car if its very wet too)

2. Buy cheapy cheap 15's with 888's etc and swap wheels as necessary.

3. Decent coilovers + adjustable topmounts. Having to adjust the camber bolts for every trackday is starting to annoy me!

Thanks, Matt

GSXR + KDX220
I agree, tyres first as you've already got decent springs, ARB etc which are more than capable on track.

You could go the "halfway house" route and get some track orientated tyres like RS-R/R1-R/AD08's which are a fair bit cheaper than 888/48R's, but still very good for track use?

The money saved here could be used for some decent track pads if you dont already have some :)

WRX
Tyres, mine and Sbridgey's have similar suspension setups, apart from he has camber bolts. At Bedford last week the difference in his grip level on 595s to my P Zero Neros was night and day. On fast bends I don't think there was much difference but on slower, tighter bends his was much more composed. They are next on my list.

Clio 172 ph2
ok thanks for the input. How do R1-R/AD08'S etc compare to the contact 3's I have now? Im guessing just a softer compound? Or harder construction as well?

Just looked on camskill.
R1-R £133
AD08 £114 although oddly in a 205/55 they are £97?? can I get away with this profile or is a 45 better with a 16" rim?
595RSR £98
888 £158

Im sure I read that R1-R's are the basicially a 888 but with a heavier cut tread pattern, is this correct? If so they will probably be ideal.

After donnington a few weeks ago brembo max/ds2500's are in the post :)

GSXR + KDX220
Christ R1-1's in 16" are £133?? 15's are only £60-70, thats mental!! If they're mostly for track use it may be worthwhile getting some 15's.

Ive never used Contact 3's so have no idea, but they arent "track focused" tyres, the sidewalls will no doubt be softer and the compound harder, than all the above tyres.

Ive got R1R's and I rate rate them highly :) Very good in wet track conditions too. There was a post on R!R's vs AD08's the other day I believe with some more opinions in :)

Lotus Elise
Suspension first, get the nicely set up then sticky rubber.

You will soon find the limits of your current set up very quickly if you stick track tyres on. Get the car nicely set up then you have a good knowledge base of the car and its characteristics, once you have done that go for some nice rubber and play with tyre pressures to develop the car further.

Audi A5
If I had £600 I would get a set of 15" with 888's for £200ish and then £400 on a set of decent 2nd hand coilovers like the Spax or konigs.

Also if your don't want to be swapping wheels about then the ad08/Rsr's tyre is a great 'all in one tyre' their designed differently to 'road tyres' like the contact 3's so thry dont just fall apart on track, this means they last for a lot longer.

Clio 172 ph2
WOW just checked, £76 for R1R in a 15". A difference of £228 over a set of four! If I can find some cheap 15"s then sell my 16 pro race 1.2's Ill have plenty of cash for a decent set of coilovers.

Cake bought and eaten :)

Thanks, Matt

Lotus Elise
Once the coil overs are on get the car corner weighted and some slightly more aggressive geo this will help you get the most out of the tyres.

Clio 172 ph2
Ok thanks sam.

Can anyone recommend anywhere in the Lincolnshire/nottingham area that would be interested/capeable of corener weighting etc ( there are a few rally places near me but they seem to be unhelpful towards trackday enthusiasts, left a few with the the impression I was wasting their time even with a wallet full of notes at the ready!? )

WOW just checked, £76 for R1R in a 15". A difference of £228 over a set of four! If I can find some cheap 15"s then sell my 16 pro race 1.2's Ill have plenty of cash for a decent set of coilovers.

Cake bought and eaten :)

Thanks, Matt

You can probably find a set of decent 15" alloys for £228, so you've broke even on 15", next set of tyres you'll see mega savings :D

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I went sticky tyres first, and to be honest, there is a small amount of body roll. MicKPM's car handled nicer than mine with new suspension and sportlines so I think i need to make some changes now. lol

I think suspension first is probably best tbh.