ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspension knocking

172 & RSi
OK, I've done a search and found hundreds of threads about knocking noises etc. (well it is a french car website lol) but not found the info I'm looking for.

Basically my car has just recently developed a small knocking noise when going over speedbumps etc. It seems to be coming from the front right suspension and if I go over the bumps slowly enough, the noise dissappears.

The car has recently had coilovers fitted and the noise seems to have only developed since I adjusted the height of them last week, could it be something as simple as me not tightening the adjusters enough/locking them in, hence the knocking?

I've read about the top strut knocking fix washer thing, would that be suitable here do we think or is this something more serious? It seems that the people using that fix have a knock when turning so not sure if its the same thing :S

Any help greatly appreciated as I wanna get this car mint :)

Cheers

172 & RSi
Done a search and can't find much, what I do find though doesn't really seem to be my problem. Its not making the noise when I turn or anything like that, just a small knock on the front right when I go over a speedbump or whatever. Just irritates me as I like everything to be perfect.

Any more ideas?

Cheers

172 & RSi
I was thinking possibly top mounts. Should I give the washer fix thing a go do we think?

Cheers

Cup'd Monaco 172
The standard top mounts are crap. You need to pull them apart and rebuild them and take the play out of them. There was a thread about it started by PeteCup a couple of months ago.

Or fit the rose jointed ones.

I had knocks on my car with bumps, ramps, steering, accelerating. Everything and they all were different. In the end I changed the wishbone bushes, top mounts and engine mounts and I can honestly say I have never enjoyed driving so much in this car.

172 & RSi
Well I've fitted coilies will that make a difference?

And the noise is only since I adjusted them last week, or at least thats when I noticed it. Could it be that I have not tightened everything up or somethin?

172 & RSi
Thanks for the link Butler, posted that just as I was typing. Bit technical for me all this machining and stuff, don't think I'd be confident enough to start stripping eveything down and sawing etc. Might have to take it in to somewhere to have it fixed unless someone on here fancies having a go for some beers? Lol

172 & RSi
Ordered some washers from Yozzasport to see how I get on with them first of all. Hopefully they will sort it, if not then I'll have to see what else is wrong with it.

Thanks for the help :)

Clio Sport 1.2 16V
Update: Washers fitted, still not cured :(

Gonna be something more expensive do we think?

Ive just noticed the same problem with my clio 1.2. I only have the original suspension so I dont know what it is.

I havent put my car on the jack yet but when I grab the wheel I can feel a small amount of play, checked the bolts are tight and it seems fine.