ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Superchips - best £465 quid ever!

Vectra :(
cliokhunt said:
if I wanted a 182 I would get one, but I don't, I already have 1 series that's 10x faster.

You sure its 10x faster mate? or indeed faster at all? i am sure the 120d is quoted as 7.9 to 60 with the M-Sport version coming in at 7.6

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Well seeing as Diesels aren't meant to be sprinters, yes I do think it's a lot faster. 0-60 on mine was timed recently at 6.5 seconds.

182 does 0-60 in 7 seconds if I'm not mistaken. It has.... 182bhp and 200nm. Top speed 139 ???.

120d (mapped) does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds, and has 220bhp and 440nm. Top speed 150.

BTW I take back my 10x, of course a 182 is quick, it's barely a ton and has a fair bit of power.

E91 M Sport
Evo magazine timed the FF182 at 0-60 in 6.6 seconds and the 182Cup at 6.5 seconds - so might as well use these if we're not talking manufactures figures.

Your 120d:
Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 220 Weight without Driver (KG) : 1399 Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 159.78

Clio 182 (FF):
Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 180 Weight without Driver (KG) : 1080 Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 169.34

The 120d has more torque/ton but at peak power this isn't really what is going to help. The higher bhp figure will help it at higher speeds - but at 50mph its not going to give the advantage....at 100mph+ it probably would.

I'm guessing it would be very even, although there's only one way to find out for sure. Do you live near Santa Pod by any chance? ;)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Or a track ? :evil: ;)

I like the sound of your 120d...I was considering sorting one out as a company car (I'm a sucker for RWD), and looked into chipping them too...but decided to keep running the Cup, and get a sh*tter for day to day when I retire the Cup for track/race use only.

That way...my car allowance can go towards my future racing plans :)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Hehe no. Send me a message if you're near brighton at a weekend though:cool:

Torque isn't what helps ?? It's what makes diesels. Think about the feeling of your 182 putting you in your seat. I know it'll be noticable because it's a bit more than the stock DCI 80 which has a little bit of oomph. Now imagine twice that force. There you have BMW diesel power. Plus it's RWD which I know I'll miss come december...:(

E91 M Sport
Exactly - diesels are great at lazy great lumps of torque, but in flat-out comparisons with higher bhp/ton petrols its just not going to help much (if they're both in the peak power band).

In December get yourself a V6 - best of both worlds ;)

By the sounds of it between your 120d and a standard 1*2 there wouldnt be much it in really. Realistically speaking you wouldnt see much difference between a standard 120d and 182 or a modded 120d and modded 182. In the real world the gap would be minimal. Both standard 182 would have it i think, both modded 182 would have it. 120d modded vs standard 182 and it would be close, maybe the 120d would edge it on a straight with the extra torque, maybe not??

These discussions seem a little pointless given so much is based on maybes. only one way to find out and thats in a race (private land of course)

cliokhunt - How did you time your 0-60? was it at a 1/4 mile track etc and is it reliable? if quarter mile then what were your run times then compare them against some of the clio runs on here...best way

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Was on a straight piece of dual carriageway at night with some friends, we simply used a videotape (mounted on the headrest) which can see the car dash, along with a windscreen mounted origin b2 displaying speed full screen.

We did a few runs and used adobe premier pro to determine the times. Average was 6.5 seconds 0-60. No way to do 1/4 mile times with that.

The 120d is extremely quick for such a small car, I know the 182 is also quick, has good suspension and is very light. I don't believe the 182 can carry much (if any) more speed through corners, but either way, coming out of the corners the 1 series torque will trounce the 182 every time.

We shall have to try it one day, when tuned, BMW diesels provide power throughout the rev-range, I recommend them to anyone. Still, I have to part with her, not because she's old, but because I have had to make a nasty insurance claim recently, bringing my NCD to a mere 0... Insurance doesn't bare thinking about for that car anymore, and I tried a few cars before the Clio, but for cost effectiveness, I like it a lot. But I doubt I'll buy another come a few years.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Ahh...but the Origin b2 doesn't keep up with a cars acceleration...can vary from 1 to 3 seconds lag behind actual speed...so, playing devils advocate...you could be running 0-60 in 9 secs?

*** runs ***

So you have no way of knowing your 0-60 at all really. This is what i mean with these threads. To many maybes involved. Using a videotape means nothing, as above you have to +/- about upto 3 seconds using GPS and +/- upto 5mph on your speedo if using that.

Best thing to being timed would be a GTECH meter, but these too can be a little out, less than your methods tho. remember you are taking tenths of a sec making a difference so need to be accurate. a GTECH claims accuracy within 0.1 of a second. I have used one a few times in my mk2 172 FF and got readings as low as 6.3 and as high as 8 (bad start, or so i tell myself).

I am not saying your 120d is slow mate, just saying you dont really know how fast it is. Are the bhp figures your quoting from a RR? or have you estimated those too?

*** runs away a bit faster than Markcup ***

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Obviously the GPS lags at times, but to determine how accurate the OEM speedo it is rather good, and at 60mph on the speedo, it's doing 61mph (bigger wheels).

It's not far very behind the 535d 0-60 which we timed at about 5.8 seconds (that's automatic too !! phenominal in gear acceleration). And no I did not "make up any figures" the 220hp is on a dynochart from superchips. Send me this Gtech and I'll do it with that :p

clio
More importantly I think were missing a point here. A 182 costs about £12500 new a BMW 120d costs at least £20000 before you start adding goodies, they are not comparable. i have no doubt that the torque figure is fantastic and would certainly provide better in gear times than a 182, but a RWD car has higher transmission losses than a transverse in line 4 fwd car due to the power being transferred through 90 degrees at the rear axle. Horses for courses if you like BMW's then great, but for me the clio is about nimbleness and cheap fun, not badges and expensive extras.

Mike

D

dick

1 series look like a stretched astra end of.

a 182 would have u on the twisties tho......

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
220 from a 120d ... that seems a fair bit more than the usual quoted figures ?? (200 and 400nm)

Do you have a 'special' one ? ;)