ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Super unleaded or fcuk it normal

cup 182
I know with most performance motors folk say it's gotta run on tesco 99 or shell V power, my old impreza did anyway because of pinking
But is it a nessesity the clio rs runs on the dear stuff or is normal unleaded totally fine?
Opinions please

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I only use super, it probably does little. But my car gets used daily, driven hard often and taken on track.

So if it genuinely does prevent build up of s**t in the engine to keep the car running better for longer then it's worth it imo. Every little helps.

And if you have a highly strung turbo car, you'll get more power... I know that's a pointless comment when talking about clios

cup 182
I only use super, it probably does little. But my car gets used daily, driven hard often and taken on track.

So if it genuinely does prevent build up of s**t in the engine to keep the car running better for longer then it's worth it imo. Every little helps.

And if you have a highly strung turbo car, you'll get more power... I know that's a pointless comment when talking about clios
But do you actually feel a difference between using both fuels?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Some people experience misfiring or lumpy running with the cheaper fuel. IMHO when you account for the points from shell vpower, even though it's like 6p more a litre, you're probably only spending about the same as if you put in the cheap stuff. Triple points on v-power nitro+ at the minute.
Bonus 250 points if you put £35 or more in this week too. Ooft.
Not worth the hassle really. Tesco momentum or shell vpower for me.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
My car has been remapped on v power. On the very very odd occasion I put other stuff in the car feels different.

cup 182
My car has been remapped on v power. On the very very odd occasion I put other stuff in the car feels different.
Is this the rs tuners map thing? Or the octane 98 map?
I rember asking a while ago about a pop and bangs remap for my 172 cup, but was not sure what map was recommended, what exactly does the higher octane remap do? And can any tuner do it?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
98 ron map is the one with the rstuner. The overrun map is another that's used with the rstuner, but it's s**t.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
As above. Rs tuner is a popular choice as it's cheap as you can sell the box on afterwards.

Search Rs Tuner on here.

Or get it properly remapped on a rolling road by a respected company.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
As above. Rs tuner is a popular choice as it's cheap as you can sell the box on afterwards.

Search Rs Tuner on here.

Or get it properly remapped on a rolling road by a respected company.
Everything I want to do for my car is so expensive...

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Doesn't have to be.

What do you want to do?
Bilsteins, 2118's, mapping, polybush/black allround, PMS Topmount/brace, ARB, Bumper/Bonnet respray. Will probably just shove a 98ron map on it next as all the other maintenance is pretty much out the way.
Can't wait for the mods. Expect lots of whatsapp updates.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Jeez, yeah ok cha ching

Get it properly mapped mate. Efi etc.
I might do, it considerably better than a generic 98ron map? I'm told mines been 'remapped' but all PO's lie. Havn't actually looked to see whether I have a rev limiter at 7.6k or not though.

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
I always run tesco momentum or whatever super fuel esso sell. Il go to another garage if they are out. No idea if it reall makes a difference but if it means my injectors last longer I think it's worth it.

RB 182 FF
With my factory mapped car I've always used Momentum99 whilst at home, but when abroad and on eurotrips I've used 95 when left with no choice... Never seen any ill effects from 95 but only cruised along being mindful that the petrol cap says 98 ron...... If I can use 98 or better I always will, if not it doesn't seem to harm...:up:

cup 182
But V-Power isn't actually 98RON is it?
at least in Holland it isn't.
I was thinking the same
Apparently most sup unleaded is 97 Ron
Tesco and she'll are miles from me for 98 ron, closest to me are BP and an Esso
So I think Esso super will need to do, not sure about BP ultimate however

Evo 5 RS
Standard 1*2, wouldn't worry too much. I had my ph1 mapped on V-Power so that's all I ever ran it on. Ran like a dog on BP Ultimate or 95.
I only ever put VPower in the Evo

The cheap s**t doesn't hurt anything in my eyes.

I'm not fussed about putting normal in at shell/tesco. Never seen a difference on the Clios I've owned.
My old Golf turbo used to see better mpg from Vpower/thelike but after a year straight of paying for the good stuff the clio gets whatever I can be arsed putting in, not about paying £1.30/L at my local shell for Vpower.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
i tried to run my old 172 on normal BP 95 RON and it used to splutter and loose power all over the shop, on the Ultimate it was fine, so since then for the sake of 2 quid a tank or whatever it works out at, I've always run my F4R engines on some form of Super unleaded, be it Shell, BP, Tesco, etc etc.

Suzuki Jimny
My old clio 200 ran so good on the 'ring special 103 ron fuel. Always used the posh stuff in previous cars.

Having worked in the fuel additive industry for the last 7 years I personally wouldn't use regular supermarket unleaded in a performance engine like the F4R, I've always used Tesco Momentum 99 in all my cars (standard & performance) over the years and never had an issue, plus its similar in price to the regular unleaded from the branded suppliers like Shell, BP, Esso etc and has the higher octane of 99RON so burns cleaner. The issue with the regular supermarket fuels is the lack of additives compared to the branded products, you wont feel a difference over the short term but engine longevity will be effected using the supermarket regular fuel no doubt....especially in performance cars hence why most manufacturers recommend higher octane fuels as higher octane always means higher quality due to additional additives.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Mines been ran on Texaco 95 ron for 60 000 miles had no issues at all, driven pretty hard for most of those mile too.
The engine is also comparatively strong to other 182s it's come up against so I don't think it makes a difference, it is only 2 grand car after all.

RB Clio 182
Run of the mill clios I was talking about.

But didn't the golf gti that fifth gear tested on higher octane fuel see no power gains either?
It did mate yes and the scooby(iirc) got even more, the na 1.2 clio or whatever it was got no gains.