ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sunstrip and MOT

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Realise this has been much discussed but I am still unsure
Ive a luverly 5 inch sunstrip that I don't wanna remove (My driver seat is low and the strip really helps avoid the sun)
Whats the rule on windscreen wipers- the OEM Blades sweep over the strip by several cms, so I can remove and replace with cut down blades, which wont hit the sunstrip, but then clears less of the windscreen
Still OK to see and drive, but will it pass MOT?

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
iv had a sunstrip for the past 2 mots and nothing has been said about it (failed on a sticky hazard switch and an airbag light tho) so it should be ok id have thought

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Take for mot. Ask if sunstrip will fail test before they test it. Either remove if it will fail or keep it if they say it won't.
Refit after if you removed

MartinL1993

ClioSport Moderator
From what i can understand the laws do state if its within the swept area, but there is an element of if the tester feels it impedes vision or not then it will either pass/fail. This is what i was told regarding phone mounts etc so unsure how it applies in this case

dan's cast offs.
From what i can understand the laws do state if its within the swept area, but there is an element of if the tester feels it impedes vision or not then it will either pass/fail. This is what i was told regarding phone mounts etc so unsure how it applies in this case

if it's in the swept area it's a fail. sat navs, phone holders etc are also a fail but the tester can remove them before test and pass and advise.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
for the sake of £20 think I will just rip the strip off
not even sure that cut down wiper blades, that miss the strip, will get through because of the reduced screen area they clear

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
Leave it on if it fails rip it off? If you bring it to their attention they'll just say take it off.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Leave it on if it fails rip it off? If you bring it to their attention they'll just say take it off.
they failed me last time for a cliosport sticker in swept area (And a sidelight bulb that had come out of its position- sure he knocked it). No sunstrip back last Spring.
"I didn't want to rip it off in case you got upset" he said. So I ripped it off, waited for an hour and got him to issue a pass certificate.....

Think am just gonna rip off the sunstrip, and use stabndard wipers, as guidelines also say you have to use right sized wiper blades

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
they failed me last time for a cliosport sticker in swept area (And a sidelight bulb that had come out of its position- sure he knocked it). No sunstrip back last Spring.
"I didn't want to rip it off in case you got upset" he said. So I ripped it off, waited for an hour and got him to issue a pass certificate.....

Think am just gonna rip off the sunstrip, and use stabndard wipers, as guidelines also say you have to use right sized wiper blades
go somewhere else

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
go somewhere else
I was wondering whether going back to the same place (Setyres £32) will make him go a bit easier as he has seen the car before and will have it on record.
Was chuffed that it didn't fail on anything major tbh. A sticker and dislodged sidelight ... that was it. Oh, and advisory noisy exhaust LOL