ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sunroof Leak, Please HELP!!!

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
Thank you for your reply.

I would like to ask you one more question.

Is the sunroof more than 2 pieces? The metal frame under the roof and the plastic frame which goes over the roof.

What i have sone so far, is add some mastic near the drain plugs as i believe there is a gap on the plastic there as well.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Thank you for your reply.

I would like to ask you one more question.

Is the sunroof more than 2 pieces? The metal frame under the roof and the plastic frame which goes over the roof.

What i have sone so far, is add some mastic near the drain plugs as i believe there is a gap on the plastic there as well.

No those are supposed to be there, water is allowed to come through the seal around the glass, that is the purpose of the two drains in the corners. Yes the plastic part is the top part then the metal work of the car is sandwiched with the metal frame inside.

The only place it will be leaking is between the plastic and the roof of the car, you can tell if it's loose by pushing around the sunroof and you will be able to move the tin work of the roof of the car up and down!

Hope thatakes sence!? I really need to upload some pics when I next do one, which I think is Thursday!

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Yes it does make sense.

I will get a pic tomorrow to show what i have done so far.

Haha I just read my last post back, my grammar is amazing!!!... Not!

I blame my iPhone, yeah put some pics up and I'll do my best to help. I am very tempted to do a guide with pics, that way people can follow it alot better! :)

Renault Clio 1.2
As a fellow clio driver and also a sunroof repairer i'd recommend visiting www.bettawindscreens.co.uk or searching them on google for all the information needed to solve all your problems. I would copy and paste but i don't want to be accused of stealing their information. :) Good luck. A dry bum on the way to work is possible :)

Renault Clio 1.2
Can i just say aswell don't use mastic. I repair sunroofs for a living and it is not advisable at all. It's just going to make it harder to repair in the long run and could mean paying for a new roof aswell as the repair.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
If it's the 'renault' way how come renualts leak. Obviously not that tried and tested seeing as theres a major issue with there roofs.

Haha very good! You can always trust someone to be ignorant on here!! Yes Renault Clio sun roofs are crap to start with but when fixed they will not leak ever again. The non Renault way or the silicone sealer way will cause issues!!

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
The original foam seal is the problem, it's basically a piece of sticky back foam tape (think number plate sticky pads) this is not capable of sealing when the plastic roof frame is subject to expansion in hot weather, warpage and general movement of the chassis. The mastic we use is perfect for sorting the leaks as it allows for all the above to happen.

Up to you what you do as a 'professional roof repairer' I'm only trying to help people by showing them the way it's been done for several years with not one come back dating back to the clio 1!!