ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sunny Tyres

Ultra Red Clio 197
Tomorrow im picking up my new 197. As part of the deal I requested two new front tyres were fitted. I was there today sorting paperwork etc to find that this has been done but they have fitted 2 Sunny tyres. Ive never heard of them and guessed just by looking at them they were budget tyres.

has anyone anything to say about this brand of tyre... should I kick up a fuss about them being fitted to a 197?

cheers
Ross

Ultra Red Clio 197
I'd want O.E. tyres fitted really.

We think the same! I would preferably want Continental Sport Contact 3 tyres which is what Renault originally fitted I think...

Im due to pick it up tomorrow after work at 4pm.. I think they will be getting a call in the morning tbh.. I didnt say anything to them earlier as I wanted to go do my homework on the brand "Sunny". The brand name sounds rubbish.. surely not what should be fitted to a small performance car. :mad:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Lol i had two ditchfinders fitted to mine before i bought it. Fucked em off for some Conti 3's.

Ultra Red Clio 197
Cheap pish most likely, doubt you'll get anywhere trying to get better ones though.

I'll sure as hell give it a try!! lol.. although the sale is completed and ive paid I still have the 14 days grace period to cancel the lot... hope I dont have to remind them of that! lol

I would complain, and use the fact that they are not fit for purpose and your insurance could be invalidated by running a performance car on inadequate tyres.

corsa ecoflex
i got these on my ph1 at the moment and they are seriously shite no grip at all and they wear very quickly,only reason i got them was because they were cheap..i paid £55 for the pair and they are 16's...get them of asap..mine are going next week when i get paid

A4 Avant
Refuse to accept the car, don't sign anything. They'll soon back down. Bought an MGF with an Ex, they tried to fob her off with some ditch finders, even though she'd fully paid we refused to sign any paperwork until it had original spec tryes.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I find it funny you expected them to fit anything but the cheapest possible tyres.

Ultra Red Clio 197
I find it funny you expected them to fit anything but the cheapest possible tyres.

true, I suppose I had higher expectations as they've been very good throughout the sale process!

They will def be getting a call in the morning!

Ultra Red Clio 197
I would complain, and use the fact that they are not fit for purpose and your insurance could be invalidated by running a performance car on inadequate tyres.

could my insurance actually be invalidated because of this or is this an assumption? any insurance buffs out there?

thanks for your help guys

Ultra Red Clio 197
i doubt they will change them tbh, tyre is a tyre to a dealer

worth a try! will let you know what they say... the worst is that they say no and i have to fork out for a decent set.. just spent a load on the car so who knows when i'll be able to afford a new set.. they may have to do me a month but hopefully they do something about it!

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
tbh they will be fine for normal day use just not hacking it along a b road

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Is it a main dealer? Like a Renault Main Dealer?

If so, tell them that Renault themselves recomended Continentals and said the car was developed using those tyres.

Renault told us that when they launched the car so if a dealer denies that it could get interesting!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Really?

I always was under the impression that on front-drivers you need best grip possible on the front axle?

Always best on back. Would you rather the arse end slid out or the front? I know what I'd choose.

Listerine & Poledo
Always best on back. Would you rather the arse end slid out or the front? I know what I'd choose.

Rear, every time in my book, but that's where different people prefer different things.

Much rather be able to get the nose turned in then deal with any rear-movement then desperately try to turn in and just plough onwards.

Not trying to sound like a "dab of oppo" master or anything like that, in case it sounds that way. I had enough little butt-clench moments in the MX-5 to scare such thoughts out of me :)

Besides, all the traction control etc. will soon calm down any wayward oversteer.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Guessing you've never had truely crap tyres before? I once had pe2s on the rear and ditchfinders on the front, in the wet they would be truely scary on the back.

Listerine & Poledo
I guess not
:cool:
The 172 will ALWAYS get contisports when the need occurs
The MX-5 wore Goodyear F1's
The MX-3 had Goodyear NCT's
but the Toledo V5, ZR 160 and Corsa diesel (no turbo, just diesel) just had whatever happened to be in stock and cheap at the time.

Ultra Red Clio 197
UPDATE... They have agreed to change them to Hankook tyres.. They seem to get a good write up! What's peoples opinions?

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
You should of really specified performance tyres, or just had them knock money off the car. In general extra tidy up or maintenance work done by garages selling cars is done on the cheap as they dont want to eat into there profit. Id rather have money off the price and do the work myself or get it done by someone i trust to my standard.

I just wouldnt accept the car till they have been changed.