ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sunny sn3800 tyres any good for the money?

182 cup
need a new front tyre on my 182, theres a few hundred miles left on it but the other front was replaced other week before i bought the car and its a

sunny sn3800 205/45/16 87 xl V

works out at £37 delivered through website

some other sites cheapest i can find is about £55 delivered !

want the two front tyres to be the same as a matching pair, so obvious choice seems to be to chuck one of these on! to even it out

any one got any comments on the sunny sn3800 tyre?

its obviously not gonna be amazing but will it do job ok for everyday/spirited driving style

thanks

I will never ever understand why people buy a decent hot hatch and put s**t tyres on them!!? It really baffles me lol.

I see loads of cars, hot hatches/performance cars etc where people have spent a fair amount buying them, some going to the extent of modifying them spending hundreds on modification, then put £35 a corner tyres on it. It's the only connection with the road.

Bin the other Sunny (keep it as a spare) and buy a pair of quality tyres hopefully so you've got 4 matching all round (what are the rears?). The Cup pack your car had from the factory meant anthracite wheels and Michelin PE2 tyres. I'd get those if it was mine, but otherwise maybe F1s. But my main priority would be to have 4 premium brand same tyres all round on it.

Last edited:
  Rusty Cup
Cheap tyres = written off clio :(

2008_0419carnick0288-1.jpg

Rusty Cup
The PE2s are a better tyre and will also last a lot longer than the Toyos (which I don't rate personally). So worth going for IMO.

Are you comparing rs2's to pe2's or pe2's to toyo's coz there is no comparison between toyo's n pe2's lol

Should be are clear as mud :p

Clio 172
Seriously mate i wouldnt go near these if i was you, i had these on my car when i bought it from its last owner and let me just say going into corners can be pretty scary, when wet you if you put the fut down at all you just spin.

Pay the extra and get good tyres. That being said i just bought 4 toyo t1-r's, a tyre that has mixed reviews but one thing is for sure they will be no place near as bad as the sunny's.

Are you comparing rs2's to pe2's or pe2's to toyo's coz there is no comparison between toyo's n pe2's lol

Should be are clear as mud :p

Was comparing vs Toyos. Not had experience with Hankook, but Hankook are still a bugdet brand. The RS2s are a semi trackday tyre though? so probably good in the dry.

The PE2s are one of the better tyres out there and were OEM spec with the Cup Packs so it makes sense to stick with them IMO. And even for resale value the PE2s are a plus point for those reasons. Also, viewing a car with mixed tyres, Sunny/Nankangs/Linglongs etc, suggests that the owner either ran it on a shoestring or didn't care.

BG 182 FF
I will never ever understand why people buy a decent hot hatch and put s**t tyres on them!!? It really baffles me lol.

I see loads of cars, hot hatches/performance cars etc where people have spent a fair amount buying them, some going to the extent of modifying them spending hundreds on modification, then put £35 a corner tyres on it. It's the only connection with the road.

Bin the other Sunny (keep it as a spare) and buy a pair of quality tyres hopefully so you've got 4 matching all round (what are the rears?). The Cup pack your car had from the factory meant anthracite wheels and Michelin PE2 tyres. I'd get those if it was mine, but otherwise maybe F1s. But my main priority would be to have 4 premium brand same tyres all round on it.

Well said mate :approve:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Was comparing vs Toyos. Not had experience with Hankook, but Hankook are still a bugdet brand. The RS2s are a semi trackday tyre though? so probably good in the dry.

The PE2s are one of the better tyres out there and were OEM spec with the Cup Packs so it makes sense to stick with them IMO. And even for resale value the PE2s are a plus point for those reasons. Also, viewing a car with mixed tyres, Sunny/Nankangs/Linglongs etc, suggests that the owner either ran it on a shoestring or didn't care.
The V12 evo is a much better allrounder than the pe2 imo.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2009-Auto-Zeitung-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

1. Pirelli P Zero
2. Continental Sport Contact 3
3. Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT
4. Hankook Ventus V12 Evo
5. Bridgestone Potenza RE 050 A
6. Michelin Pilot Sport 2
7. Uniroyal Rainsport 2
8. Nokian ZG2
9. Goodyear Eagle F1 A
10. Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta
11. BF Goodrich G-Force Profiler
12. Firestone firehawk S790
13. Fulda Carat Excelero
14. Kumho Ecsta
15. Bravuris Barum
16. Toyo T1R

Bumder With A Buffer
I have Nankang NS-2 on mine from camskill £36.

Im quite impressed with them in the wet and dry.

In the ice/snow they were crap though!

clio sport 182
iv just ordered myself 4 new pirelli p zeros from ATS for £287 all inc. same size a you (205/45/16) they have a good deal on them atm.

I'm not so sure about that. You have to take into account expectations - with a budget tyre expectations are low(er) and if they perform pretty well/better than expected it will have skewed results IMO. But then it did do pretty well in that test but maybe I'm a tyre snob as I wouldn't fit Hankooks to a performance car hehe

I remember trying some Hankooks Ventus something or others (not those in your link) and they were truly awful, just no grip wet or dry and it's the first time I've bought tyres and took them off and bought others. I bought them literally because I wanted a set of tyres for a spare set of wheels on a 205 that I wasn't too bothered about perofrmance, but they were that bad I took them off.

Last edited:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Try before you judge. They are fantastic, I was always an F1 user, tried these on the advise of a few others. Only tyre I'll run now (v12 or RS2)

albi 197
I bought v12 evo's for my 197 and tbh now they've had a few hundred miles put on them they seem pretty good. Especially considering they are half the price of the conti's.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I bought v12 evo's for my 197 and tbh now they've had a few hundred miles put on them they seem pretty good. Especially considering they are half the price of the conti's.
They work best with slightly lower pressures.

172 Ph1,Golf GTI PDI
Hankook are hardly a budget brand anymore!,
The V12 Evo is comparable price wise with some of the top end brands, it got a good reputation and has out performed some of the big names in testing hence why its price has crept up.
And thats why ive just ordered 4 for my Corrado Vr6..

BG 182 FF
The V12 Evo is a great tyre definitely recommend them.

I changed from V12's to PE2's recently to see what all the fuss is about as the V12's were down to 3mm.

IMHO the PE2's feel a lot softer/stickier which gives me more confidence. Not sure if there worth the extra £58 per pair though?

182 cup
wow are they really that bad? i just wanted to get one that matched the other front one. they guy i bought it off had a really bald one on the passenger side front so i worked into the sale of the car that i would only buy it if he put a new legal tyre on there. obviously he wasnt gonna spend a fourtune :)

the way i look on it is its a brand new tyre and if they were not safe they would be allowed to sell them. the clio i dont really throw rounds corners its just a daily runner for me, i dont want to sound patronising as i know some people on here "love" your 182's and credit to you i totally respect that. its just really a nippy little run about to me that has a bit of grunt to it.

its gonna cost me £40 to stick another sunny sn3800 on the other side and the rear tyres are michelin pilot exalto thingys with about 5mm tread left

i culd always get another sunny tyre and stick the michelins on the front and sunnys on back?

thoughts?

i am not keen on the idea of spending £200+ for two tyres as good as they may be when its going to be sat on a motorway in a straight line most of its life :)

if i was gonna be throwing it around backroads then year i'd buy 4 pe2's not prob

i have a 360bhp nissan pulsar gtir in my garage for FUN DAYS ;)

172 Ph1,Golf GTI PDI
Who said anything about spending 200 quid for two tyres?
There are plenty of better options out there for a few more quid than the Woo Wungs.

182 cup
yeah but i dont need a pair as one new one will be fine as other tyre is new, £40 and im roadworthy. prob just not cornerworthy lol :p

gaz:
m reg pulsar gtir

toally standard looks wise even on the 13inch wheels ;)
forged internals and rebuilt gearbox so far handling power ok.... touch wood
walbro fuel pump
mongoose zorst and decat
standard suspension
avcr boost controller 0,7 bar 260bhp ish, 1 bar 300bhp ish and 1.45 bar 355bhp ish

running standard breaks too which is bloody dangerous but cant get bigger under the 13inch wheels easily :)

hks mushroom filter

mainly run it at 1 bar and its still extraorinaryily fast, 1.45 bar is scary makes the 182 and 106 gti's look embarrissing

0-60 estimated at around 3.2/3.5 at max boost

rear seats and space saver removed but put them back in sometimes as really doesnt make much differance

so to give you an idea of the speed of it, i would be at around 120mph before a clio182/172 was at 70mph from a standing start

oh and £10 of shell optimax fuel full boost spirited driving gets me about 18 miles :O

182 cup
and yeah its got average rubbers which came with the wheels and have been on car last 2 years as it hardly gets used unsterstandably

cars like that are "toys" to bring out on special days :)

everyday running of that machine would either kill me fiancially or kill me in a accident

so yeah spends 99% of the year in a garage lol

Id put cheap s**t tyres on, it just adds too the fun. Ive got toyos on and they are dog s**t but I like a bit of progressive sliding. Beats out and out losing it.

the way i look on it is its a brand new tyre and if they were not safe they would be allowed to sell them. the clio i dont really throw rounds corners its just a daily runner for me, i dont want to sound patronising as i know some people on here "love" your 182's and credit to you i totally respect that. its just really a nippy little run about to me that has a bit of grunt to it.

i have a 360bhp nissan pulsar gtir in my garage for FUN DAYS ;)

Doesn't really matter what else you have in the garage, the Pulsar is probably worth less than the Clio.

IMO it's the same with anything; fuel, oil, tyres etc. You can run it on cheaper fuel, put Motorway oil in it for £3/gallon and put no-name tyres on if you want!

But for me if you have a half-decent car you put half-decent stuff on it, the tyres are the only connection the car has to the road.

M2 Competition
Cheap tyres = written off clio :(

2008_0419carnick0288-1.jpg

FLOL!!!!!!!

No, not being able to drive well = written off clio.

Its true that your tyres are your contact patch with the road, and are an important modification to make, but the sunny will do its job if its just a run around. It might not be as good in emergency braking situations/ in the wet/ around a b-road, but ive found budget tyres handle well enough in the dry, and if you're not at 8/10's a lot of the time, and can drive within yours and the tyres limits, you'll be fine mate.

They'll hold up alright enough for a dry b-road blast, some of you guys have got to remember that not everyone considers a b-road drive as an apex clipping fuel burning extravaganza of speed, testing the limits of a tyres adhesion!

It sounds as if you had already made your mind up, and were just seeing approval anyway bud?

(ive had allsorts of tyres, linglongs, wanli's... to expensive tyres. The Gti has Wanli's fitted by previous owner on the front at the mo and they hold up superbly in the dry! :cool: )

Last edited:
  AMV8, Mk1 Golf
ive had cheap tyres and uber expensive tyres!!

had R888s on my 106 and they were epic, these days i tend to go midrange, never buy cheapo tyres tho

182 cup
thanks lads im getting that sunny now i think, if their that s**t i'll put to michelins on to match the back 2 sure it'll be fine though

Navara, MGTF,307,KA
i got 4 16" sunnys on mine, their brilliant tyres little flex on sidewall but just enough so u can get a feel for the corner, i had some quite expensive falken tyres now they were S**t. Budget tyres have always been best for me. Nankangs are also v gud

182 cup
well the sunny tyre turned up in post this morning and im getting it fitted and both fronts balanced on saturday so i'll give a report:)

good too know you got on well with yours cliorep. im sure they will be fine :)

182 Cup
I'm with the non-budget boys on this one. It's been proven many times that they don't offer the performance of the well known tyres 99% of the time.

Why is everone banging on about cornering speeds down country lanes? Nice to know that nobody is thinking about their stopping distances, which can be as much as an additional 15 meters from 70mph on budget tyres.

Hankook RS2's for me - I was nervous about the brand before I tried them, but as has been mentioned in here already, they really are a good tyre.

182 FF
running standard breaks too which is bloody dangerous but cant get bigger under the 13inch wheels easily :)

I think you mean 14" wheels mate. I dont know why people have a prob with the brakes, I had red stuff and ebc discs on mine plus braided lines and they were great, still give me more confidence than the clio set up!

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Yeah thats what i thought, all gti-r's had 14's as standard, just differant tyre sizes between UKDM and JDM.