ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Subs Subs Subs

Clio Mk1
i just brought a sub for £50 dunno if its s**t or not but cant complain for £50 its a vibe 12" Black Air 2 Sub

"Navy" N17 TWO
Even if it was £5 I would complain mate - its a Vibe!

But thats just me, and maybe the halfrogs/cheap-ICE hating population :star:

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
Vibe i actually really like :p
thier high end stuff is very good, lower end chavtastic sell at halfrauds not so good,
saying that the subs i used were not for general sale.

they are releasing a whole new SPL range that looks very very nice indeed price tag is somewhat on the hefty side but its not going to be the type of thing to pick up in a store,

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
any company that give me free stuff gets my vote :p

but no i genuinely like it, the only reason why im not running it now is because i wanted a top quality 10" and they dont do one that would perform how i wanted it too

"Navy" N17 TWO
Focal do a really good 11" sub - I know they have strange sizes but the quality is unreal :approve:

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
i have got a powerbass extreme xl2 10", very loud for what it is, be interested to see what it does db wise too,

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
actually vibe are not s**t at all ,
SPL stuff is very good!
SQ is something to be worked on but if you read the post hes after SPL

140.5 DB from one 15" is damm good with 800RMS in a sunroofed clio

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I've got the JBL sub in your 1st post but the 12" version. I'm really pleased with it, doesn't distort when pushed to silly levels and produces good deep bass. I heard Vibes weren't that good from a Vibe owner, but that was a sub and amp in one so maybe a sub alone is better........test it and see.

RB 182 Cup
vibe isnt what i would call s**t, their new spl stuffs good and their space stuff but stuff like the blackair are just begginer setups and their fli stuff is just low budget.

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Focal, not that I'd be biased or anything :eek: ;)

DSC00917.jpg

To be fair none of the focal range would last 5 mins with this chap (no offence).
They are very easy to drive, dont like to be played mega loud and hate distortion off cheap amps. I run a utopia 13" 33wx off a phoenix zeropoint ZPA 0.5 and i have to be soooo careful with the gains as not to cook the coil.
As said before re is the way to go, i had a xxx 18 which went for peanuts on flebay, would of been absolulty ideal.

Vibe ..... errrrr i thought vibe made fli stuff as in are the same company bad move.
One decent sub in the rite enclosure will kick @rse....

Polo + Micra
average wheelie bin should surfice;) :eek:

.8 cu ft sealed should give it a nice tight bass sound

2FST4U - if you can build your own box, PM EFMax on TalkAudio and ask about getting him to design you one. I had one done by him and it's very good :)

Monaro VXR
You do realise the box is the biggest factor to how a sub sounds right?

You can have the greatest and best sub in the world stick it in a £10 box and it will sound worse than a £100 sub and box combo.

Its all about the setup and honestly £35 is not a lot. If you look around talkaudio and ask about SQ installs theres a couple guys there whos total fitting an design costs are in the £50,000 mark. There was a guy there when i used to go to the forum who's total system cost including design was coming up for £150,000. Not sure if those members still go there sure someone else can say though.

So in closing £35 is naff all.

he does NOT need a EFmax box for a £40 sub!
hes got shitty crappy amps needs to buy a cheap full set up to begin with then slowly upgrade everything.

even the best box in the world will spumd shallow and wobbly wih poo subs!
Taylor

"Navy" N17 TWO
To be fair none of the focal range would last 5 mins with this chap (no offence).
They are very easy to drive, dont like to be played mega loud and hate distortion off cheap amps. I run a utopia 13" 33wx off a phoenix zeropoint ZPA 0.5 and i have to be soooo careful with the gains as not to cook the coil.
As said before re is the way to go, i had a xxx 18 which went for peanuts on flebay, would of been absolulty ideal.

Vibe ..... errrrr i thought vibe made fli stuff as in are the same company bad move.

What do you mean "this chap"?

Also - you have to be careful with your Utopia sub??? :S
Utopia subs are higher up than mine in the Focal range, and the K2's are popular for thier competing performance.

Last edited:

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup

What do you mean "this chap"?

Also - you have to be careful with your Utopia sub??? :S
Utopia subs are higher up than mine in the Focal range, and the K2's are popular for thier competing performance.

The guy who started the post... focals are pure sq, he's already blown one sub because it wasn't playin loud enough for him.

As for the utopia ..compair'd to previous subs iv'e had ( attached below 13w7, re xxx, cerwin stroker,image dynamics and a aliante) its very easy to push it beyond what its capable off, but as said it was never designed just like aliante to play mega spl, its all bout the sq.

Last edited:
  Clio Mk1
right peeps im verry happy now as i said at the start of the thread i had 2 fli 10" subs one blew and i was left with one so i decied to make a box for it and ive just finnished glueing and screwing the box wired it up and it sound 10x better than the two subs together now all ive got to do is make a box for the vibe sub i brought today :)

is a sealed box better or a ported box for the vibe i mean??
also whitch port is better?
TP25-L - 2.5" Long Port
TP30-L - 3" Long Port
TP25-S - 2.5" Short Port
TP30-S - 3" Short Port

SG 200 Cup+F4R'd MK1
I have 2 12" JBL subs you can buy. I used them for about a month and then got fed up of them. Been sat in my room ever since!

Clio Mk1
boxed both subs now verry pleased they dont distort and the bass is amazing but now everytime i look out of the windscreen everythink looks as if its shaking and my rear window feels asif its about to go through :D :quiet: :boring: can the rear windows go through?

"Navy" N17 TWO
You have had some setups in that wagon! :eek:

its very easy to push it beyond what its capable off, but as said it was never designed just like aliante to play mega spl, its all bout the sq.

Ah right, so basicly you've been expressing my own point :clown:

1 sub or 2 will do the job, just dont bodge the box and give it enough power and it will sound alright. What are you actually looking for, spl or sq?

Get 1 good decent quality sub, give it a good enclosure & plenty of power.

For SPL I'd get a MTX sub, for SQ I'd get a Focal - oh wait I have one ;)

Clio Mk1
cheers peeps im well happy with my setup now :D i make 2 boxs there not bad for my first attempt but i will be upgrading everythink eventually this is just like my starter kit :) ill post some piccies and you's can tell me what you think thanks for all your help :)

RB 182 Cup
i would take the fli out becuase its just going to distort way before the black air and it will sound dodgey