ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sub box build pics.. With a few questions..

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Right, Following on from this... http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=501312

I have nearly completed my box. I talked to Rob yesterday lunch and he advised me to remove the Iso bar in the boot, being as it was never used by us, i asked him what it was for, was told its for a childseat in the back and tieing stuff down in the boot, good enough for me, ripped the plastic cover off and took the bar out, will get binned, Because i removed this, the boot seems alot bigger, allowing me to make a angled box to save me more space!

Talked with Rob some more and decided on the design, and last night marked out a couple of the pannels..

P1010062.gif

The below 2 pics should have the angle drawn on them for the 2 sides, but i had a few cans last night and by the time i got to this stage i decided i should stop before it becomes inaccurate.

P1010063.gif

P1010064.gif

After some cutting, Gluing and screwing, we have a nearly complete box, will seal the inside of the box with Decorators Caulk, i run a layer of Wood Glue around the inside and outside on every joint, thats now dry, so before screwing the back board on, il seal the inside of the box, and seal the back board through the big sub hole, Which il cut after the box is made.

Heres how tonight finished, bearing in mind i started at lunch time and the girlfriend stayed last night, so chilled for a few hours today too...

P1010067.gif

P1010068.gif

P1010069.gif

I then took the girlfriend home and come back, cracked open some more beers and decided to continue. I have now filed out the Terminal hole so it is now a tight fit, i havent screws this in yet, Question will tell you why..

Questions:

1: I dont know wether to screw the terminal (and sub in when i get it) and run the carpet around it (as i want it to have a good seal), or do you carpet the box 1st and then add the terminal and sub over the carpet?

and 2: This is the sub i will be putting in, http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/7049.html i know its a 10" sub, does that mean i have to cut a 10inch hole, or is that just 10 inch including the overhang around the sides? .. If so, what size hole do i need? .. It says in its description .. Mounting Diameter: 232mm .. is this the size hole i need to cut out? .. Want to cut it out tomorrow see :).

Cheers.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Too much drawing on the panels for me! And thats from an experienced carpenter ;) I'd carpet the box first.. Wait till you have the sub in your hands before you cut out the hole! Manuals/instructions are never accurate!

PH2 Clio 172
Like iimushroomzii said, carpet first, don't cut the hole until you measure the sub. The last couple of boxes I built I lined with wadding, seemed to take the harsh edge off the sub and gave it a really nice sound. I used 1" thick wadding sheet stuff that I got from a fabric shop, the sort of stuff that I imagine would get sewn into a puffa-jacket. Top tip I read online is to wad sub boxes with the innards from Tesco value pillows, not tried that but should work fine.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
S'not bad at all mate! No need for the "inside" line on the drawings, plus a few too many screws. Only thing I'd recommend is getting a decent blade for your jigsaw? Unless of course you were proper old school and used a coping saw?

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Yeh just used a normal saw, i borrowed a jigsaw from my mate, but he snapped a blade and the end was stuck deep in there and was no way i could get it out, spent a good hour trying to get it out, with no luck, the terminal hole was a tw*t as i had to use a drill, all the way around, then hacksaw blade all the way around, then file LOL, got a great fit though, Hopefully get another jigsaw sorted for the sub hole time, as f**k doing that on a 10 inch hole LOL.

Might order the carpet tomorrow, need to replace the carpet on my boot floor too, because i removed the Iso fix bar, the carpet dont reach and is a good 4 inch gap so can see the actual floor and looks lame.

Only used so many screws as i had 200 LOL.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
LOL! Hold the release arm/toggle thingy across and bang the f**king thing on the floor, that'll sort it! :D I'd just buy a cheap tack shite one from argos if you're not gonna be using it much! The challlenge extreme ones aint too bad.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Skint atm mate, with no income etc, but got an interview for a 19+K job on thursday at 4.45, so hoping that will go well! .. the car project will fly along then!

My mates is a year or 2 old and is one were you slide the blade in and do a allen key up LOL, il see if my other mate has got one i can borrow, sure he has.

I may cut the hole out to the size they say on the website (232mm), that seems a very accurate measurement so doubt its out, it wont matter if it is out buy 1 or 2mm as il be sealing it anyway!

Cant wait to get it all wired in now!

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Yesterday i sealed all the inside edges with wood glue, and this morning when i got up it was nice and dry so decided to make the back of the box, before gluing and screwing this on, i sealed all of the inside with decorators caulk, now obviously the last board i glued and screwed on, (the back board) hasent been sealed with the caulk, but will do this when i cut the hole for the sub, maybe tomorrow!

Pics..

P1010070.gif

P1010072.gif

Terminal is not sealed in, just put in place for the image, will carpet the box before i put the terminal and sub in!

P1010071.gif

P1010073.gif

Heres one showing the caulk'd edges on the inside, as you can see the top left (back board) is not yet done, will do this tomorrow.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Good effort Nick, when you put the sub hole in the box you can seal the inside too, just to get a good seal :)

Looks really nice though, as long as you don't screw up the sub hole, and carpet it well, you'll be fine ;)