ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sub advice - blowing Speakers!

No wheels :(
I have a 600w RMS mono block amp, as I know it isn't the most powerful of all amps I don't wanna blow up any mid range subs with it...

Interested in anything people know about that's serious!

Amp is a new Alpine PDX 1.600.

Thanks! Sam

No wheels :(
Helpful website!

I haven't blown any just yet, just asking how to avoid it...

I have an Alpine Type R sub to match this amp, should be fine? As long as I don't turn the gains + up?

All your advice is much appreciated.

Thanks, Sam

E46 M3
When there is forums dedicated to car audio with multiple world record holders as members why bother asking here? You wouldn't go over there and ask them about the merits of chaning to a 182 exhaust manifold.

To answer your question as long as the sub and amp specs match reasonably well you will be fine. A sub that can take more power than the amp can give will result in you turning it up until the amp "clips" which will kill the sub. An amp which is too powerfull will result in melted voice coils.

I take it you have matched the impedance of the sub/amp?

ie the amp may make 600 wrms at 2 ohms but it you have a 4 ohm single voice coil sub it will only make around half that. In that case you would need a 4 ohm dual voice coil sub wired in parallel to show the amp 2 ohms or 2 seperate 4 ohm single voice coil subs.

Have you thought about sealed or ported? if ported what are you tuning to and how have to calculated the port length? If sealed what box volume will you use?

As you can see there is a lot more to it than most people think. Get onto talkaudio as I said earlier and get reading.