ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stud conversion kit

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
nowt wrong with pure motorsport

BUT the ones they supplied my customer were too short IMO

On which side?

I noticed they did an alloy nut kit too but could these oxidise onto the thread like those alloy dust caps do?

If you are going to get a screw in style kit I would recommend getting studs that are proper machined high strength steel and not cheap zinc plated stuff like most of the kits are, ive heard bad things about the threads f**king up after only a few changes if you're going to be swapping wheels quite a bit, not to mention people on various forums complaining about studs unwinding with the nut after a couple of trackdays...

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
If you are going to get a screw in style kit I would recommend getting studs that are proper machined high strength steel and not cheap zinc plated stuff like most of the kits are, ive heard bad things about the threads f**king up after only a few changes if you're going to be swapping wheels quite a bit, not to mention people on various forums complaining about studs unwinding with the nut after a couple of trackdays...

Hmm, i'm having this problem with my bolts which is why I am looking at the studs.

I noticed your doing it, and your running mk2 hubs yes? What sort of kit are you doing it with?

200 cup/Btm'd ph1

yep iv had both of those problems, but they were only made in with locktight!! However quite a few of the threads have f**ked up too not over impressed really.

Hmm, i'm having this problem with my bolts which is why I am looking at the studs.

I noticed your doing it, and your running mk2 hubs yes? What sort of kit are you doing it with?

Yeah 172 hubs.. heres how I did it: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...-Car-Project&p=6955220&viewfull=1#post6955220

yep iv had both of those problems, but they were only made in with locktight!! However quite a few of the threads have f**ked up too not over impressed really.

Yeah, heard the same quite a lot as ive been reading over the past few months, I just finished doing mine with press studs to hopefully avoid the problem - I'l have to see how it goes but im more confident they will be reliable!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Going back to the ones in my OP, would I have to torque these into the hub more than I torque the nuts, well to me that seems an obvious yes?

I currently on track torque bolts up to 110Nm, presume that nuts would be torqued to the same so the studs would need to be done further? How much further though?

And what size should I be ordering? roughly the total length of my bolts atm?

if you look at the picture carefully you'll see that no 2 of those studs are the same. I don't think you can torque them as they don't bottom out on anything, it's more a case of screw them in 8 turns and let the loctite work it's magic. They look just like the ones I got from rallydesign, they got them back by return of post. But I can be a fussy bugger that way.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Not being able to put studs on the back put me off - just keep all wheels the same :) simple

You can - but it would mean unwinding the studs and screwing them into the new set of discs when you want to swap them as the thread is in the disc.. unfortunately no hub on the rear!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
You can - but it would mean unwinding the studs and screwing them into the new set of discs when you want to swap them as the thread is in the disc.. unfortunately no hub on the rear!

So are you just running studs on the front then?

I have only been having bolt issues on the front, but would like stud all round to aid changing wheels.

I emailed pure about the kits, they said they have a new kit coming out soon which is better for track, will cost £150, i am waiting for them to get back to me with more details :)

Yeah, just on the front. There was one or two people who ive seen convert the rears to a hub based setup (to run bigger rear disks) on another Mk1 forum, but its hardly worth it for me. The fronts take far more load/stress and I dont really need to worry about the back :)

Lionel Richie
only time i've seen issues with screw in studs is incorrect installation, cup racers used screw in (at £20 a pop!)

More than likely £20+ a go due to being proper metal, machined up specifically and treated for what they were being used for though - hence them being fine! Ive seen similar priced steel ones for sale in the past that had been tempered/heat treated

Lionel Richie
the ones i use/sell are twice the price of pure motorsport ones, not had a problem with them (not saying there's anything wrong with theirs though!)

you want rolled ones

as for how tight, off the top of my head i can't remember! i'll check my notes tomorrow

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
the ones i use/sell are twice the price of pure motorsport ones, not had a problem with them (not saying there's anything wrong with theirs though!)

you want rolled ones

as for how tight, off the top of my head i can't remember! i'll check my notes tomorrow

Rolled ones?

What your price delivered, would rather have some tried and tested :)

Presume fitting is the same as the guide i posted? Just with your torque figure!