ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Struggling with replacing handbrake cable

Hey guys,

Handbrake cable snapped last week, got myself a new cable and set about replacing it today.

I unhooked it from mechanism near the catalyst, pulled it all back to the rear wheel but struggling to see how this metal part is removed from the rear caliper?

16417308200_f53d918456_c.jpg
Rear Caliper
by Simon_89, on Flickr

I'd like to get this cable fitted sooner rather than later so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If it's a bit seized you will flatten it and it will never come out.
Soak it in some UB40 over night and have another go in the morning.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Got a pic of that end of the new cable? You need to jog my memory, I haven't worked on a Clio for months.

!B8KNzCwCGk~$(KGrHqEOKiEEzQdQqLw9BM2RNcGyew~~_35.jpg

I haven't one to hand but this is one I found on google image.....

in your pic it seems there is nothing to remove? from what you said I thought you might be having difficulty getting the snapped end of the cable out, like if it was seised in to the arm. but the arm looks like is ready to just have the new cable put in from that pic. no? Am I missing something?
*edit* - Ah, I see! The remains of the sheath is still in the fixed part of the caliper...punch or drill it out.

Last edited:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
@lemonknobby1 help me out brother, my memory has gone blank!
I only replaced one on daves car about 10 weeks ago!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
The outer bit of the cable is rusted into the caliper.

Soke it in wd and hit it out with a punch.

I was looking in the wrong place, its what you said daniel, it just needs a polite tap with something heavy.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Which way are you hitting it??
Remember it has to pull one way so will only come out the other way.