ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

#STRIP ME!!!#

right i wanna ditch the back seats, build up to meet my parcel shelf, put my install where the seats were to get my boot space back, but obviously i dont wasnt it real weighty..

suggestions and advice please..

u should av gone mean street wouldav got sh*t loadz of ideas!

sub either side on an angel and amps down the middle 6x9s erm not many people had to to be honest!

i turned up late so i missed the gatherin at the services i did av a look round bak but i dont know ne 1! which was urs?

back on topic

best bet would be make the whole build out of fibreglass, very lightweight, very easy to use and you can have it look how you want it to look

ben j - i have found that fibreglass is ever so slightly more expensive than mdf, but not by much

essex_lad - very easy, it is no harder than cutting a straight line out of mdf with a jigsaw

i have stuck with a mdf install for mine, mainly because i need boot space and all the kit is easily removed for long journeys

only the boot, i had no need to remove the rear seats, after all its only a 1.2 i own, hardly a performance car

Genesis Profile 2 amp for front components (genesis A16.01 - not yet installed)

Audison LRx1.400 amp for sub

Boston Acoustics 8.5LF Pro sub in custom 0.6cu ft sealed enclosure

Ive seen and heard a few people who have put 6x9 in their door cards. Sounds good and dont look too bad!?

Quote: Originally posted by Ben j on 07 April 2003

how do i fix the fibreglass

a- to the car with it looking good

you will need to make an mdf base for the fibreglass to be screwed onto, 6mm should be fine though, and still keeps the weight down

b- together to form box shapeing

you will need to make struts for the box out of mdf again, lay mould fabric over the struts, then paste the fibreglass thoroughly on the inside

HOPE THIS HELPS

also ben make the actual box out of mdf as it will sound alot better, and mould the fiber glass into it, use the material over any large areas and harden it with resin. what you do from there depends to a great deal on what you are going to cover the install in. if its carpet then you can just build up all the areas usein p40 or fiberglass sheet, but if you are going to paint it or cover it in vinal alcantara then you have to spend time using p38 type filler and sanding it down to a good finnish. dont underestimate the amount of time or work involved, but if you plan it well then the results can be stunning. (and not too heavy)

Luke

essex lad - make it so it actually fits nice and tight, so the pressure holds it in

also ben make the actual box out of mdf as it will sound alot better, and mould the fiber glass into it, use the material over any large areas and harden it with resin.

No need to do this, the fibreglass has just as much acoustic properties as mdf, the only difference is that you will not have a guaranteed internal volume for the box

no offence mate but thats wrong, the resinence propertys of fiber glass are completly different to mdf if you are going to install a single 10" box then the difference is minimal but anything more than that will sound completly different. dont even let me get into the flexing of the fiberglass unless you use shed loads.

having had systems made from both, and been involved in making many more out of both, I can honestly say there are many good reasons for making a box out of fiber glass but sound quality is not one of them, in general even if the box is exactly the right volume it tends to be a bit boomy. by all means make the top of the box out of resin/ glass fiber or whatever as long as it works as a solid enough baffle, but the acoustics of mdf or even birch ply (if you can afford/ be arsed to work with it) will make quite alot of difference it will sound more solid, and louder. dont get me wrong i have heard fiberglass boxes that sound alright, but they have had days spent on them layering the fiberglass and making sure there are no angles on the inside that cause cancelation, and even these tended to have at least one side that was composed of mdf. when I was in the states for the CES show plenty of the show cars were made up of compete fiberglass installs, because of the shapes you can get, but when you talked to the installers they agreed that it would have sounded better in wood. it all depends on what you are after but if its something that sounds good the make the box out of MDF.

Luke