ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

strengthenig gearbox

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
it being really quiet at work, and bored out of my skull.......my mind starts racing.

What if, the clever CAD chappies on here designed some weld on exterior ribbing for a JC5?
Most of the pics i have seen, they break is the same area
No idea if this would be doable, cost effective or would just make something else break.....

excuse the mad paint skillz...

JC5129modded.jpg

JC5-130 modded.jpg

dan's cast offs.
casing is s**t regardless of what you do with it, it's painfully thin in places. plus a lot of loading is at the ends as well.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Having tried to weld a jc5 casing, I’m going to say, good luck with those strengthening ribs.
The plates for the bearing were designed to stop the box cracking from the load/unload of a wheel breaking traction. Combine that with the helical gears that are constantly trying to force themselves apart and you have a recipe for failure.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Talking serious £££ to model and spec that kind of stuff in cad, not worth it from a cost perspective.

dan's cast offs.
You could wrap it with the stuff the wrap chocolate coins in but it's just not worth trying anything really ?

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
The trick would be to just find a better replacement gearbox rather than faff with the current casing. You could I guess get a billet end casing made but I'd estimate around £2k as complex adaptor plates are costing me about £1300 each!

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
That's ok Kev until you are only allowed to run the original gearbox :(

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I think welding to the casing would be a problem. Ally doesn't take well to welding and welding to cast can be a PITA. Where do they usually fail? Any pics of that?