ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

strangest thing.....

330Ci M Sport
just been parked on a (fairly) steep hill, with the rear of the car pointing downhill...came to start the car, which it did, but then cut out again and refused to start....really sounded like it was trying to start (i.e different to dead battery or run out of petrol for that matter) but i thought petrol may be the case seeing as i was low....my petrol light however isnt yet on...
i have intellistart fitted but dont think was the problem...
took 7 big members of the uni water polo team to get me to the top of the hill ( and 7 future hernia's most likely) where it proceeded to start first time....

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Probably was petrol.

Its unlikely (someone confirm this or not) that the fuel pickup isn't in the same place in the fuel tank as the fuel level sensor. In extreme circumstances like the one you got yourself into of parking a car with very little fuel in it on a steep hill all the fuel was done the fuel level sensor end of the tank and none down the pickup end, so it was sucking air.

The fact that it initially started and ran for about long enough to use up the fuel in the line, and subsequently started first time when you got to the top of hill tends to confirm that that's what happened.

330Ci M Sport
I like the way you got 7 people to push you uphill rather than roll yourself downhill :D
lmao....i would've done that but there was no room...think they would've thought of that too given the choice!

a burnt one
Not very strange at all really, just remember next time to park facing downhill, or have more fuel in when facing uphill.

The fuel would have or wud of moved to the rear end and the fuel pump would'nt have been strong enough to pump enough fuel to the engine to start the ignition sequence.

As said, it started temporarily and used what was left in the fuel lines before imagining there was no fuel.