ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange starting issue - video attached

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
I have searched on here and google, taking me to multiple sites and its difficult to find a similar issue and solution.

I bought a mk2 clio dci 100 1.5 a week ago, and it has a strange issue when starting.

I have attached a video but will also tak through what it does and what I have to do, to get it to start.

Unlocks fine. Key in ignition barrel, turns freely although sometime you have to give it a bit of force as it feels like it doesnt want to turn, but most times it does turn freely. Key turns all the way, but doesnt even attempt to start. Red immobiliser flashes fast. I then have to turn keys back as though im turning it off, then turn on again, and it starts up straight away. However, when it starts, it feels like the key turns all the way so smoothly with no effort at all. (Strange to describe) i then have to turn the key back towards myself very very slightly, for the cd player, climate control etc to work.

If anyone knows what it is, or has an idea what it is then i will be very greatful for your input.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I can’t help you with the video sorry, I’m not very good with that stuff.

But the key issue almost sounds like the barrel is worn or something?
Is there any damage around the barrel area?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
I can’t help you with the video sorry, I’m not very good with that stuff.

But the key issue almost sounds like the barrel is worn or something?
Is there any damage around the barrel area?

Im not sure mate. If the barrell was at fault, im not sure that would cause the imob light to flash though?

I have had s many different responses as to what it could be lol.

Ignition switch, crank sensor, earth cable etc etc

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Immobiliser issue that mate by the looks of it, not sure whether key or not

PH2 172
Sorry mate, i meant the actual key itself.

Sorry mate, i meant the key itself. Not the inside of the barrel

The barrel is what you put the key in!

If you are having jiggle the key to get things to work, with a variation in the effort required to turn the key, it sounds like there is a problem with electrical contacts in the switch to me.

It could be the lock is a sloppy fit in the switch, but either way, you need to take the lock off the switch to identify the problem.

If the internals of the key fob are rattling about, that`s another issue altogether.

Unlocks fine. Key in ignition barrel, turns freely although sometime you have to give it a bit of force as it feels like it doesnt want to turn, but most times it does turn freely. Key turns all the way, but doesnt even attempt to start. Red immobiliser flashes fast. I then have to turn keys back as though im turning it off, then turn on again, and it starts up straight away. However, when it starts, it feels like the key turns all the way so smoothly with no effort at all. (Strange to describe) i then have to turn the key back towards myself very very slightly, for the cd player, climate control etc to work.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
The barrel is what you put the key in!

If you are having jiggle the key to get things to work, with a variation in the effort required to turn the key, it sounds like there is a problem with electrical contacts in the switch to me.

It could be the lock is a sloppy fit in the switch, but either way, you need to take the lock off the switch to identify the problem.

If the internals of the key fob are rattling about, that`s another issue altogether.

Thanks mate. Yes i know the barrel is what the key goes in. I just meant the actual key, when in my hand feels a bit loose inside. Nothing to do with the barrel. Although the barrel itself does also feel strange and not like a normal clio should.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
To add to this. I have just put a standard head unit in, and when starting the car each time i have to re enter the radio code. Its as if it isnt remembering it?

The key when in the barrel is definitely playing up, i have to slightly knock it back on itself for the radio and climate etc to power up