ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange handling... T1R

Clio 182
Hi, Just had two new tyres fitted to replace my fronts which were a mis-match from the previous owners budget tyre buying days. While fitting them I got the guy to swap the T1R toyo's from the rear wheels onto the front as they have reasonable tread left, so the new tyres are at the back and the t1r's are now on the front. Ever since, the car has been pulling a bit to the right. The steering feels a bit twitchy. Its strange because my tracking was done two weeks ago and its only since the toyo's were put on the front. Tyre pressures are 30psi all round. Its most noticable at motorway speeds when I put my foot down. Are T1R's known to have a slight 'lack of feeling' when going straight? I'm guessing that they must have done something to put the tracking out but before forking out to get it done again, I thought I'd consult the people that know... ;)

BG PH1 Megane 225
Try upping the front pressures to 33psi? I think 33psi front and 30psi rear are the recommended tyre pressures :)

Are they balanced properly? My car dragged to the left when i first had it, took it to the garage had old balancing weights taken off and rebalanced. Drives straight and true now and got rid of slight shakyness experienced at higher speeds!

RS 182 CUP
i bet theyre out of shape!! whats the alignment set to? where you from? if your local to staffordshire/ west mids then i can sort it for you

Clio 182
Just been out for a drive. Its so strange! Driving down motorway, if i lift off and let go of the wheel all is fine, but as soon as I floor it, i'm in the next lane, correct the steering and let off and it snaggs the other way??!!

None :(
I am not sure what is causing your problem, but just so you know i got 4 new T1R's 4 weeks ago, and i do not get this problem and i do 70 miles a day on the motorway....

GL fixing it tho buddy, let us know what it was once solved.

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
Is one tyre got more tread than the other on the front? That sometimes pulls you around a bit.

Don't bother if the car was fine before the tyres were swapped and there was no abnormal wear on your old front tyres, and if the car is smooth now also (ie balancing). This is common when rotating tyres where a tyre has "worn" in to the a particular axle. I bet in about 500miles it will cure itself as it scrubs in.

Clio 182
right, update. Went and had tracking and camber checked and camber was slightly off (after about two weeks since it was done) and tracking was way out, both wheels pointing the same direction off to the right, but one was literally off the scale. Tracking was put right, and after two days its already pulling again!!?? i'm starting to wonder if they've done something to it thats causing it to force its own tracking out?! possible? As above, i initially thought that it would wear away with the tyres after rotating, but as the tracking was out, i've got to wonder otherwise. Could mishapen tyres cause the traking to work its way out?

anyway, the moral of the story, a certain honda dealer in a certain winchester, very very bad!

The moral of the story is if you went back to have your tracking re-checked it again it will always be "out"! It can alter depending on who tracks the car or variances in the fitting of the wheel markers and calibration. The steering wheel is generally locked in dead ahead position but this is often not done quite dead ahead so the car is tracked based on wrong steering position. Or the steering wheel isn't actually at the centre of the steering rack and when "centred" isn't techincally the centre of the rack so when tracked it could cause slight pull.

Toe settings are often adjusted to alter the handling of the car (as an example of why it's not necessarily a major issue if it's out, or that it must create a pull). All things being equal with excess toe in or toe out all the wheels will do is find a centre balance where they're the same amount toe'd out or toe'd in.

My advice is to just use the car for a while and see what happens! I put a spare on the front of my 182 and it when from being nice and smooth and straight to driving all over the place as it was a different tyre and a deeper tread.