ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange grinding on one disc

"Navy" N17 TWO
I am getting a very loud scraping & grinding noise when slowing down, moving in traffic (0-10mph) and most of the time when I brake at 30mph (town driving) :S

I have noticed on my N/S front disc there is a mark, like a ring about 1cm thick of "fresh wear", on the circumference of the disc. You can see this clearly through the spokes.

All the other discs seem to be fine.

It has only started doing this on Tuesday - the car flew through her MOT on Monday evening so I'm very confused as to what this is lol

First guess was dirt/grit on the pads - have tried blasting some brake cleaner in there already, it helped for about 5 miles.

Any other ideas?

Cheers
Trev

Sounds like the pads worn down to metal. You'll need New discs and pads

And MOT testers can fail pads that are less than 1.5mm

Clio 182
good socket set!

bolts are on back of caliper, should be two to remove if i remember.
also advisable to put a bit of tread lock of the bolts when your putting it back together!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Wouldn't bother with locktite or anything like that, you're only making more work for the next time you take them off. As long as you do them up tightly they'll be no problem.

Sounds like a stone or something similar in the pad, either that or the pad is wearing unevenly and the lead edge is scoring the disc. Get the pads off, that will probably reveal the problem.

"Navy" N17 TWO
DSC00350.gif

DSC00351.gif

Are there any other bolts on/around the caliper I need to undo to get at the pads?

ITB'd MK1
worn pad down to metal. might get aways with just pads if you change them IMMEDIATELY, but look at the back of the discs before you do that. the back side of the discs always wears first on clios

Coilovered Clio Dynamique
Heap of scrap trev, should just give the car to me for £100 and get it off your hands!

Golf GTD Mk7
Check out the guide section mate. lots of ones on front discs. Strange that it is only doing it at the edge. Take them appart and have a look. Don't leave them too long like i did, ended up with rust all down the side of the car and nearly completely ruined my alloy.

"Navy" N17 TWO
EPIC FAIL on my part :eek:

FAIL to understand WTF happend the brakes :S

Passed MOT Monday evening and the disc was fine - Tuesday morning my disc was like it was in those pics :S

Explain that oh almighty one! lol

RB FF 182
You borked them Trev, simple as!

Pop the caliper off and check the state of the pads.

Took mine off at the weekend and the insides were fucked, propperly fucked, braking surface was down to about 3/4" on the disk!!!

Will attempt to get pics up soon.

There are little metal retainers that hold the pad into place on the caliper itself... they're about the size of that score, check one hasnt came loose and rubbed the disc.

That looks too clean a score for the pads to be down to the metal.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Pads were checked pre-MOT and was told by Renault and a reliable mechanic they had at-least 10k left on them

Going to have a look in there shortly as I'm off today :)

"Navy" N17 TWO
Got into the caliper yesterday evening to find that the outer pad was wafer-thin and the inner pad was fairly healthy :S

The inner (healthy) pad was a bugger to get out of the carrier - rubber mallet job lol

Started by giving everything a good clean with brake cleaner & wire brush
Had the car on 3 wheels only to realise me & my mate hadn't got a file between us to fit the new pads so I'll be doing that today - oops!

Fiesta ST2
mate if u didnt get this sorted give me a shout - I replaced the pads on my clio at the weekend and will give u a hand its an hour job with simple tools.

adam.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Yes but it's French, therefore feckin awkward anyway! At least that's my excuse :rasp:

Golf GTD Mk7
were the carrier pins siezed tigger? seems wierd that the inside pad was fine and the outer was completely gone. should be the other way round with the wear of them really.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Yeah, I was told that too before I even had a look at them.

The pins seemed to be alright, the inner pad was stuck firmly inside the carrier on the pictured disc above, had to take the carrier off and whack it with a hammer lol. The outer (worn) pad just came out freely.

Made sure all 4 new pads on each side sat in freely when fitting the new K-Tec kit :)

All seems well so-far and not a squeek out of them at all :star:

"Navy" N17 TWO
I've had the new pads fitted now for about 4 weeks now and they have been fine.

Started squealing today when coming to a stop/sitting in traffic :S
How?

"Navy" N17 TWO
^ Is this normal for the Ferodo's?

Do they need the edges filed down another touch or what?